PDA

View Full Version : All my Q thermometers are junk. What is the best!

Rib Rub
04-13-2020, 01:10 PM
I know it has probably been beaten to death about what is the best Thermo unit, but it is a new year and new products on the market and hell, most of us have nothing else to do right now so I am asking In the $100 or below range what is an accurate unit and even looking for a cheap insta read stick probe. Seen the lollipop is a popular choice. Any good feedback on what to pull the trigger on would be great. Defiantly want a remote unit for in the house like the Redi check.

I have like four thermos and they all suck. Just bought a Maverick Redi check and I hate it. Had a thermo pro and it broke. My stick pen sucks. Time for a change!

JWFokker
04-13-2020, 01:20 PM
I haven't been impressed with the build quality of any of the temp monitors I've tried unfortunately. Got no suggestions there except don't waste your money on an expensive one unless it has a good warranty and good customer service from the company. For what it's worth, Inkbird is cheap and they're willing to replace units, but again the build quality is pretty flimsy.

As for quick read thermometers, I like the Javelin I got. Has given me no issues and is fairly solid built.

Rib Rub
04-13-2020, 01:22 PM
I haven't been impressed with the build quality of any of the temp monitors I've tried unfortunately. Got no suggestions there except don't waste your money on an expensive one unless it has a good warranty and good customer service from the company. For what it's worth, Inkbird is cheap and they're willing to replace units, but again the build quality is pretty flimsy.

As for quick read thermometers, I like the Javelin I got. Has given me no issues and is fairly solid built.A buddy just suggested the smoke to me, said he has been threw a slew of them and the Smoke has been the best. Wanted to see if the smoke got any votes on here. https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke?gclid=Cj0KCQjwm9D0BRCMARIsAIfvfIZbHrHju8zQ6w HfffbFIwFg9Z15Tx5QO1cNiSk6aVqjEYxsYozpGQwaAug8EALw _wcB

cpw
04-13-2020, 01:36 PM
For an instant read, you can can't go wrong with the thermapen. If you don't want to spend the money, get the thermopop. It's the same quality just not as fast. I've had the same one for about 4 years now, with 0 issues.

Kanco Connection
04-13-2020, 02:01 PM
yep^

SweetHeatBBQnSC
04-13-2020, 02:03 PM
I got a thermapen Mk4 for Christmas and it's really good built well. Just make sure you want to spend that much money. It does a good job, but couldn't vouch that it is without a doubt worth $100 (but I am cheap). Thermopop is cheaper and I have heard good stuff about it. I have no doubt that this thermapen will last for a longtime if you are wondering.

Novass
04-13-2020, 02:07 PM
Just get a couple of thermo works Dots and a thermo pop. Then you have a 5 second insta read and 2 meat/pit gauges for 120. Or wait for a open box sale and get them cheaper.

STLBBQer
04-13-2020, 02:12 PM
My Thermapen is the item I never grill or bbq without. It goes with me on vacations, I travel with it at Xmas (I grill the steaks at my parents’ house). We’ve been over this before, but red is the fastest. :-P

Little Pig Barbeque
04-13-2020, 02:12 PM
Anything from thermoworks is very good. Also, I have a Javelin Pro duo that I feel is just as good as my thermapen. The Javelin is a little cheaper.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Curt.P
04-13-2020, 02:16 PM
Classic Thermapen is <$80. Sign up for their newsletter and they'll send you sales notifications. Seems like there's a sale every other week. Thermopops are $25/ea right now if you buy 2+: https://www.thermoworks.com/ThermoPop?quantity=2&browse_eid=52927642-d31d-4c68-bfb3-e5c6910b6468&utm_source=bm23&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Tpop-title&utm_content=2020-04-13&utm_campaign=Apr2020-ThermoPop-2up-ENDS-WFHBBQ-cs&_bta_tid=41174805105476395030097811522646265142160 45129353715824586551652272199111371388918009896059 6025459836936

Having used Mk3, Mk4 and Thermopops, I'd wait for a sale on the Mk4. Thermopops are made in China, the Thermopen is make in the UK. Only mentioning it in case it's a factor in your decision.

toddrhodes
04-13-2020, 02:33 PM
I have a classic Thermapen but I need to contact Thermoworks on it. I doubt they can do anything since it's several years old but for some reason it's just not turning on when I flip out the probe very reliably these days. It has seen a good amount of use though.

I think I'm going to replace it with 2 pops on the current sale, just waiting for pay day. Other than that, I use a Maverick 2-channel that has served me well for a decade. I'll replace that with an Inkbird, I think. I don't need any fancy BT or Wifi or phone apps, just decent range and 4 channels would be plenty, along with being weatherproof.

Monkey Uncle
04-13-2020, 02:37 PM
What is it that you don't like about the Maverick? I've had one for a number of years and have been reasonably happy with it. It's definitely not a top-of-the-line gizmo, but it's not bad for a budget model. The probes boil-test accurately to within a degree or so, it has good range, good battery life, and it has been mostly reliable. My only issue is I've had to replace the meat probe twice. This last time I got the supposedly "waterproof" probe; we'll see if it lasts longer than the others did.

creek bottom
04-13-2020, 02:42 PM
For an instant read, Thermapen Mk4 for sure! They go on sale pretty regularly. I also have the Inkbird 6 probe for checking meat temps and one probe I keep on the grate. It seems to work well and it has the app for my phone, so I can check it without going to my pit every time.

toddrhodes
04-13-2020, 02:43 PM
What is it that you don't like about the Maverick? I've had one for a number of years and have been reasonably happy with it. It's definitely not a top-of-the-line gizmo, but it's not bad for a budget model. The probes boil-test accurately to within a degree or so, it has good range, good battery life, and it has been mostly reliable. My only issue is I've had to replace the meat probe twice. This last time I got the supposedly "waterproof" probe; we'll see if it lasts longer than the others did.

Nothing in particular but mainly I just want to monitor more channels. 4 is the sweet spot for me. The Fireboard offers 6 but it's also 4 times more than an inkbird. And I don't want to have multiple monitors though don't get me wrong, I wouldn't ditch the Maverick. I'd use the Maverick on my pellet setup and whatever 4-channel setup I get to the stick burner.

I will say the alarms and setting them up is a bit tedious on the Maverick but that's a nitpick, not really even a complaint. I've more than gotten my money out of that thing and I have made some delicious food thanks to it.

gtsum
04-13-2020, 02:52 PM
Thermapen mk4. I’ve had one for more than five years and it still works fine. I have a couple of them and wouldn’t get anything else as once you get used to the quick temp read outs, waiting for 5 seconds etc is irritating:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gtsum
04-13-2020, 02:53 PM
I also have the ThermoWorks signals and it works very good as well for remote monitoring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Monkey Uncle
04-13-2020, 03:05 PM
Nothing in particular but mainly I just want to monitor more channels. 4 is the sweet spot for me. The Fireboard offers 6 but it's also 4 times more than an inkbird. And I don't want to have multiple monitors though don't get me wrong, I wouldn't ditch the Maverick. I'd use the Maverick on my pellet setup and whatever 4-channel setup I get to the stick burner.

I will say the alarms and setting them up is a bit tedious on the Maverick but that's a nitpick, not really even a complaint. I've more than gotten my money out of that thing and I have made some delicious food thanks to it.

Sorry, I was mostly posing that question to the OP since he said he has one.

But yes, if you want more channels, the Maverick isn't going to cut it. I've never tried to use the alarms, so it never occurred to me that those might not be user friendly.

Drunk Monkey
04-13-2020, 03:07 PM
A buddy just suggested the smoke to me, said he has been threw a slew of them and the Smoke has been the best. Wanted to see if the smoke got any votes on here. https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke?gclid=Cj0KCQjwm9D0BRCMARIsAIfvfIZbHrHju8zQ6w HfffbFIwFg9Z15Tx5QO1cNiSk6aVqjEYxsYozpGQwaAug8EALw _wcB

It's ok, had mine for a couple of years and it no longer syncs with the remote. Still use it I just have to make the long walk to the pit. I am disappointed overall. I also have the thermopen (for 4+ years) and it works great. I was expecting the same from the smoke.

The one positive from the smoke crapping out on me, I no longer use therms as often, really only on the off set.

Speeed
04-13-2020, 03:14 PM
I have a couple of these...
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0793MSG7S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They work fine and are inexpensive so if they get lost or broken I don't care.
Call me silly but I don't see insta read thermometers as a place to spend big money.

Before I bought my fireboard I used this with great success...
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GE77QT0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Was very happy with it. If it had wifi I probably wouldn't have went the fireboard route. (who am kidding?...yes I would have :lol: )

sudsandswine
04-14-2020, 09:02 AM
FWIW - Thermoworks is doing 18% off site wide today. If you're looking for an instant read thermometer, they're the best IMO. I have a regular Thermapen and the Mk4....I like both but appreciate the features of the Mk4 more.

pharp
04-14-2020, 09:14 AM
Thermapen MK4 hands down.

70monte
04-14-2020, 11:01 AM
I have a classic Thermapen but I need to contact Thermoworks on it. I doubt they can do anything since it's several years old but for some reason it's just not turning on when I flip out the probe very reliably these days. It has seen a good amount of use though.

I think I'm going to replace it with 2 pops on the current sale, just waiting for pay day. Other than that, I use a Maverick 2-channel that has served me well for a decade. I'll replace that with an Inkbird, I think. I don't need any fancy BT or Wifi or phone apps, just decent range and 4 channels would be plenty, along with being weatherproof.

They should be able to fix it. Mine did that when it was several years old and they fixed it. It did cost about $35 though.

70monte
04-14-2020, 11:05 AM
I have both the classic and MK4 thermapen and love them both.

I also have the Smoke and Smoke X4 remote thermometers. The Smoke works ok if you don't have more than one wall to go through. The X4 works great so far with no range issues but it's more than $100.

Playtoannoy
04-14-2020, 02:35 PM
I was using a Weber iGrill 2 which worked ok, but was only Bluetooth, so I had to get up to the back door to get a reading.

I also have a thermapen which is a great tool. I’ve ordered a new offset, so for that, I picked up a thermoworks signals. It’s been pretty good, but I’ve had a few issues with the app. I think I’ve got it sorted out now, and have been testing it on my pellet grill and was amazed at how much the grate temp varies compared to the readout on the grill.

redchaserron
04-14-2020, 02:48 PM
I about 7 months in with a Maverick XR-50 and I have been very pleased, 4 channel, build quality seems a little improved over previous Mavericks I've had, but the winner for me is the range. No problem reading temps on my pit that is set a pretty good ways from the house from any room in the house. The previous RF model I had struggled with this, the bluetooth models were a complete failure.

DadBob
04-14-2020, 05:03 PM
I have three, love them.

DadBob
04-14-2020, 05:04 PM
Kidding about the match light in the name tag, of course

KpaxFAQ
04-14-2020, 05:29 PM
Thermopen MK4 is the best instant read. I had their Signals when it first came out and had a horrible experience that they refused to remedy until I posted here and the Vice President directly contacted me and made it right and said they’d be “coaching” future employees on how to handle a similar scenario. now have a FireBoard with drive cable and I can’t recommend it enough!

To clarify I still think thermoworks makes some great products and still recommend the MK4 to everyone who will listen, but having owned both the signals and the fireboard, I like the FB better for more reasons than my bad experience with the signals and customer service.

I don’t know how they are currently but my wireless maverick got the job done for a few years before the fireboard without probe failures. I was careful with them though. They’re affordable and the batteries lasted forever. A con is sometimes the signal would drop out in the house which was annoying on an overnight cook because it beeps.

Pulmah Finger
04-14-2020, 05:47 PM
ive got the older 4 probe Inkbird and one of their first instant read sticks. Both have had issues, the stick i pulled apart and found that one of the thermistor leads broke free of the solder on the board. I was able to resolder it and so far its good.

The wireless capability on the multiprobe has been disappointing, i cannot get it to stay connected to my phone and that is only through one wall maybe 30ft. I will be keeping an eye out for a good deal on another at some point, but it works for now so long as you dont mind getting up to check the temp which was 90% of the reason you buy a wireless unit is to avoid that.

ArtBQ
04-17-2020, 02:17 PM
Thermoworks for sure. I own a Thermapen, SmokeX, Signals and Smoke units. Excellent products and amazing customer service.

I’ve owned Mavericks and cheapo units off of Amazon and they are all in the garbage. I only trust Thermoworks at this point.

Rusty Kettle
04-17-2020, 05:24 PM
Inkbird products are great. Never had an issue with mine. For the price they are hard to beat. Imo the quality is on par with thermoworks products. I have owned both and prefer inkbird. The price is incredible for what you get. The quality is very good. Very accurate too.

ssv3
04-17-2020, 05:29 PM
Thermapen hands down.

Have the classic, the backlit and the MK4. MK4 for the features. Buy once, cry once.

jzadski
04-17-2020, 05:49 PM
Sorry about your Maverick experience, I have the 732 along with about a dozen friends and we all love them. As far as instants, I have thermopop and Maverick Pro temp...both superb and at several years old

WeberWho
04-17-2020, 09:24 PM
I've had my Thermapen Classic for the past 10 years. The thing doesn't owe me a dime. English made. Not cheap Thermoworks in known for their quality instruments.

I've owned a Javelin Pro Duo for the last year or so. It makes my Thermapen Classic feel like an outdated dinosaur. The best part is that I paid $30 for it. I think the Javelin Pro Duo is pushing $50 now when not on sale. It's almost identical to the more expensive Thermapen MK4 but half the price. The downfall is that it's made in China. Who knows how long it will last. I haven't had a single issue with mine in the last year of ownership.

My 10 year old Thermapen I feel is quicker than my Javelin Pro Duo. Both claim 2-3 second read times.

You can't beat the Javelin Pro Duo for the price. How long will it last? Who knows. 9 times out of 10 I'll grab my Javelin Pro Duo over my Thermapen Classic because of it being backlit and easier to read at night. If I want to know an exact temperature without any hesitation I grab my Thermapen.

Either way you'll have a great tool for the kitchen and grill.

TropicDad
04-18-2020, 07:50 AM
Thermapop is good, I don’t recommend the Thermapen. I’ve had a lot of problems with mine, have to open it about 5 times to get it to turn on. Sent it in and they worked on it but still the same.

Steve81
04-19-2020, 10:14 AM
Been extremely happy with my Maverick XR 50. The probes have taken it on the chin and 3 out of 4 still work. Let me explain. Have a vertical propane so not a purest but really enjoy cooking pork butts. The pulling not so much. The smoker has variations and the probs show it but between the 2 external temp and the one on the door have an excellent sense of the temp. There are two meat probs and lost one and generally like having the two so I can use the two temps to tell when to pull. The best part is the range on the portable receiver, 500 feet. Now back to the beating and why one no longer works. Place a cigar box on the 20 gal propane cylinder with the main unit on it which is has an adjustable foot. One night was tired after a late night finish, the pulled the pork and wrapped them for the fridge. Later that night the base was put inside the cigar box with the probs hanging out. Another family member shut the lid and placed a heavy pot on it. Did not notice until the following day. Will get around to ordering a new set of probs and during my next cook may put one of the shorter probs in the meat.

Get the Maverick XR 50!
a review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LCW12z0ULs
maker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LFGQo8V8WE