PDA

View Full Version : Traeger using smoke

Bluepigpens
04-12-2020, 01:46 PM
I just got a Traeger pellet smoker this week, I am new to this style of grill. I want to add smoke to my meats, do I need to run it on the smoke selection before I ramp up to cooking temp or just go directly to cooking will be enough smoke? Thanks in advance

tom b
04-12-2020, 02:10 PM
for big beef or pork I would but you don't have to, it is something you have to work out on your own to find out your preference. Good luck!

Whumpa
04-12-2020, 02:23 PM
Get yourself one of those amaz’n pellet tubes. They really do help to impart more smoke into your foods. Also try using different brands of pellets. People rave about Lumberjack brand pellets, but I have yet to find any locally. I did stumble across some Kingsford 100% hickory pellets, and I really like them. Did a couple of spatchcock chickens a couple of days ago. Turned out great. But do get yourself a tube. By the way, I also have a Traeger. And even with all the bad rap on them I like mine. Zero problems in the over 5 years I have owned it. Have not even had to swap out the hot rod yet.

DHowardSmoke
04-12-2020, 03:46 PM
Keep it set at 180-200 on smoke setting for the first couple hours then you can crank up the heat a bit. The low temp and smoke setting will put some good smoke on. If you want a little heavier smoke profile, like the others said, get an Amazn Smoke Tube to supplement.

sudsandswine
04-12-2020, 07:05 PM
The higher the cook temp the cleaner the burn is gonna be on a pellet smoker. On a stick burner I’m a 275-300*+ kind of guy because I’m all about getting it done as quickly as possible without degrading the final result, but on the Mak I start on “smoke” for an hour or so and don’t really ever go over 245* because I want to maximize smoke flavor and since the grill tends the fire I’m less concerned about the amount of time and care and feeding required.

My advice for you when cooking meat “barbecue style” (pork butts, brisket, ribs, etc) is to keep it at 250* or less. Most pellet grills have a metal deflector plate under the grate and it puts off some radiant heat at higher temps that can scorch the underside of your meat when cooking on the main grate. And depending on what other smokers you’ve used in the past you may find the smoke profile of a pellet grill to be lighter than what you’re used to.

JWFokker
04-13-2020, 12:54 PM
Definitely try to stay at or under 200F for pork and beef for 2-4 hours before ramping the temp. The hotter you go the less smoke pellet burners produce. The pellet tubes work well but they work even better if you pack them full of wood chips rather than pellets. Emphasis on pack them. Even with pellets the tubes smolder better when they are tamped and tightly packed. Too loose and they'll burn through the chips or the pellets rather quickly.