PDA

View Full Version : What is the Oldest and Longest Owned Equipment you have??

RemoGaggi
04-11-2020, 02:03 PM
Here are a couple of quarantine questions:

1. What is the oldest Smoker / Grill you have? (Age of the unit, not how long you've had it) Comments?

2. What smoker / grill have you owned the longest? (Not the age of the age, but how long have you had it). Comments?

3. What was your least favorite smoker/grill you've ever owned and why?

tom b
04-11-2020, 02:12 PM
1. genesis gasser from the 90's, gets supper hot but not used in a least 2 years
2. Santa Maria, my favorite to use by far
3. probably the UDS, don't have a good reason though

Shadowdog500
04-11-2020, 02:26 PM
The oldest one that I still own would Probably a Smokey Joe from about 25 years ago.

I’ve sold and got rid of old grills and smokers and replaced them over the years.

The oldest Current smoker that I currently have is my 18”WSM that I may have bought 20 years ago.
My charcoal grill is a Weber performer that may be about 7 years ago,

A couple of my old grills and smokers from 25-30 years ago are stashed in a storage area at work and are still used by me a few times a year for get togethers/team building events.

Bob Wiley
04-11-2020, 02:55 PM
1. wife
2. wife
3. wife

thirdeye
04-11-2020, 02:59 PM
The oldest smoker and the one I've owned the longest are one in the same, a Little Chief box smoker I mostly use for fish, bacon or jerky. I bought it new 40+ years ago. I also have a Big Chief that's about 35 years old. My least favorite grill was a gas grill I bought in the late 70's, I couldn't get used to it and it couldn't duplicate the wood/charcoal flavor I was used to.

RemoGaggi
04-11-2020, 03:13 PM
1. wife
2. wife
3. wife

This made me laugh out loud. Nice answer. :clap2:

food4thot
04-11-2020, 03:24 PM
1) Weber OTS "H" 1986 Was my primary grill for 10 years before I got another kettle built into a cart with a table. Forget what that model was called...similar to the Performer but without the gas assist. The OTS became my camping and picnic grill because it easily broke down for transport. Keep it wrapped in a tarp and it's always ready to go.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49761337308_2d625f1790_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2iPeRVw)

How to determine the age of your Weber charcoal grill. (http://weberkettleclub.com/determine-age-of-old-grill/)

2) Same

3) Bought a Smokey Joe years ago for camping. Could never get it hot enough for my liking so sold it at garage sale. The Jumbo Joe is a massive improvement over the SJ despite not being all that much larger. I recommend the JJ to anyone wanting to start charcoal grilling. Inexpensive, plenty of both air and grill space, and completely portable.

Bought a Weber Genesis gasser in the late 90's. Didn't like the way it grilled so went back to the kettle for that. The one thing I did like was the rotisserie. The old Webers had burners running left-to-right instead of the front-to-back now. The front and rear burners could be turned on while leaving the middle off...was perfect for the rotisserie. Left the Genesis with my ex and happily took the kettles with me when the divorce happened. But, I missed having the rotisserie. That issue was rectified when I bought the rotisserie kit for my Performer. Even better than the Genesis rotisserie because charcoal and wood chunks.

cowgirl
04-11-2020, 03:29 PM
1. Underground pit.
2. Underground pit.
3. A cheap store bought charcoal vertical. Could have been a Brinkmann.

drunkenmeatfist
04-11-2020, 04:20 PM
I think the oldest is my Lang 36. Seller told me it was made way back in the year 2016

The one I have owned the longest is a Vision Kamado. Bought that back in 2017. It was a simpler time then.

I guess my least favorite was my Smoke Vault propane. Hard to say though because I had some good times learning on that little booger.

food4thot
04-11-2020, 04:21 PM
1. Underground pit.
2. Underground pit.
3. A cheap store bought charcoal vertical. Could have been a Brinkmann.Still have a charcoal Brinkmann vertical. Was my first "smoker". About 15-16" square. Cheesy vents. First cook on it was a brisket that cost almost as much as the smoker :laugh: Had to separate the point and flat to barely get it to fit on two racks. Thing needed to be tended pretty much constantly.

After a couple cooks made modifications to the charcoal area including adding a small Weber grate at the bottom, which lowered the fire from the water pan so it didn't boil off so quickly.

Haven't used it since getting the WSM and should put it at the curb.

Ron_L
04-11-2020, 04:57 PM
I have a 22.5" Weber Kettle that I bought in 1978. It is faded gray, has a dent in the lid, and one wheel falls off :-D

mbt
04-11-2020, 05:01 PM

1. What is the oldest Smoker / Grill you have? (Age of the unit, not how long you've had it) Comments?

2. What smoker / grill have you owned the longest? (Not the age of the age, but how long have you had it). Comments?

1- Now the oldest is my WSM. It has 5 years. But just because I sold my old Weber One Touch Premium that is 10 years old

2- I had the Weber OT Premium for 9 and half years. Sold to my boss that was loooking for a good device

3- I has a Smokey Joe. Far from my favourite. Difficult to keep the temperature. I use it only as backup or when I go to the beach and I want to grill something

angryelfFan
04-11-2020, 05:14 PM
Oldest smoker would be a WSM for 2006. A great unit to start on. I had it for about 10 years before I moved up to a Humphreys cabinet and then a Shirley offset. I recommend the WSM all the time to beginners.

Oldest grill is an 18' Weber that used to get a lot of use. A well deserved reputation. Haven't even thought about using it since I got a PK. I just love that thing. I actually have 2 of them now. I keep the PKTX in the back of my van for tailgating, camping and outdoor trips and the Classic in my SmokeShed. The Classic is the best deal I ever found on Craigslist. $75 and in almost like brand new shape.

Least favorite was some Kenmore propane job.

Gimmethecash
04-11-2020, 05:43 PM
Oldest: 2007 Weber Genesis gasser
Longest: same
Least favorite: I love all my children

WilliamKY
04-11-2020, 06:52 PM
1. Brinkmann Turkey Fryer. Not a grill/smoker but it's the old timer handed down from Dad. I use once or twice a year for shrimp/crawfish boils.
2.. Weber 26. It replaced my old 22 when my son destroyed it with a mini bike.
3. Red Box. Used twice and sold it. Just wasn't for me.

homesmoke
04-11-2020, 08:00 PM
Oldest one in the fleet is from 1964. My Grandfather and I built this one when I was eleven.
It replaced an identically built one that did not survive the Louisiana weather. He built a large fancy garage, and did not want the old one inside the new garage. So we built this one, while I was visiting during that summer, and one of my uncles inherited the old weathered one.

I didn't understand why we had gone to the local hardware store, and bought a new Black and Decker 2 speed jigsaw, and blades when he had a perfectly good one. After we got through with the build, with me doing all of the metal cutting, he gifted me with the new jigsaw and blades, to take home with me. Said I had learned enough to have my own saw.
I still have it, and always will.

It was just a horizontal grill, with a hinged door on the left end of the bottom half, and a stack on the right upper half. Charcoal was always the fuel. Chicken halves primarily, with charcoal spread uniformly on the bottom. A 1/8" sheet of thin steel, bent to conform to the bottom half of the barrel, protected the actual lower half of the barrel.

After my Grandfather passed, I was gifted it by my Grandmother, as the only time it was used, for several years after he died, was when we would come to visit her. So in the late seventy's, it came to live with us.

Used it as a grill, smoked indirect, added a 4" thermometer, and always kept it under cover. Sometime in the late eighty's, I added an old Portable Kitchens square body underneath to enable cold smoking.
Worked so well that I started using the aluminum firebox as a stick burner. Used aluminum duct tape to seal off the small door on the drum, and it drafted just fine. It became my first stick burner, and I learned a lot off of it.

So now she see's use when space is needed, or when I just get sentimental.
Alway's kept under cover, and the food always seems to somehow taste better off of it than my other rigs.

Here she is, and she will be 56 years old this summer.
Apologies for the sideways picture.

Baychilla
04-11-2020, 08:14 PM
1. I think I still have a Hibachi from 1982 that was bought during a nasty storm/flood season with frequent power outages. Never used as someone figured out that you shouldn't roll coal indoors.

2. Large BGE 2009. I was tired of an inherited Weber Genesis (silver?) that while quick to use added zero flavor. The BGE is a jack of all trades master of none.

3. GOSM Gas fired smoking cabinet. It was cheap. It couldn't maintain temp. It had a hard time generating smoke. The fog/overnight condensation sucked heat out of it. The racks seemed to want to buckle under the weight of a brisket flat or small pork shoulder. If you told me it was a Communist Russian design from 1976 I'd have believed you.

Bacchus2b
04-11-2020, 08:48 PM

1) Cookshack FEC-100. Coming up on seven years. Best pellet smoker ever even though it does not have modern Wi-Fi connectivity.

2) Same

3) KitchenAid Gasser by NextGrill. Same manufacturer for several companies at retailers like Lowes. Worst grill ever, gas leak melted all the ignitor wires with no replacements from China available. I left it on my curb with a "free" sign and no one wanted it.....

Hoss
04-11-2020, 08:51 PM
My Mom's old Weber,1980. She got it after I ran into her vintage PK with my bicycle and knocked it over and broke it beyond repair.I broke her PK in the early 70's,she smoked on an electric Brinkman's smoker til she got the Weber.

70monte
04-11-2020, 10:46 PM
My oldest grill would be my PK Dutchess. I think they were made in the 50's or 60's.

The one I have had the longest is an old Brinkman charcoal smoker that I got used in the 90's that sits in the shed.

The one I've liked the least is the Weber Smoky Joe. Never really gets hot enough and the fire doesn't last very long.

SmokeRingsMatter
04-11-2020, 10:48 PM
Weber Genesis Gold 2003

Blizzard
04-11-2020, 11:02 PM
I have a WSM I think it’s about 5 years old. Maybe 7.

Least favorite? I bought an electric smoker. I’m sorry and apologize to everyone here. I tried it once, hated it, so I tried it again and still hated it. I donated it to the thrift store. Someone probably bought it....

rm41400
04-11-2020, 11:19 PM
1. What is the oldest Smoker / Grill you have? PRIMO XL
Comments:
PRIMO XL 10 years. Love it. Should use it more. Solid smoker (if careful with wood chips) Efficient with fuel (Cheap), Grills and sears like a boss.

2. What smoker / grill have you owned the longest? SAME ^^^^^^

3. What was your least favorite smoker/grill you've ever owned and why? My traeger PTG was a real disappointment. Constant flameouts...failed controller... sad. Maybe one of my very first gas grills would’ve been a runner up but... nahhh.. this traeger really disappointed.

I’m not saying this Traeger represents the line as the small portables have some obvious engineering obstacles to overcome but Customer service didn’t care...

SmokeRingsMatter
04-11-2020, 11:23 PM
I have a WSM I think it’s about 5 years old. Maybe 7.

Least favorite? I bought an electric smoker. I’m sorry and apologize to everyone here. I tried it once, hated it, so I tried it again and still hated it. I donated it to the thrift store. Someone probably bought it....

Electric smokers are pretty good for beef jerky. Especially if you add a Amazing pellet smoker tray.

TravelingJ
04-12-2020, 01:26 AM
Hehe, all 3 are the same. Forever ago, 10-13 years, maybe, we bought a Coleman RoadTrip thingie to use in our RV. It was super obnoxious to use. Essentially 2 stove burners, with a grill grate over it. Everything cooked unevenly, as you'd expect over a stove burner.

We gave it to my sister at one point. She had it for like 4 years, but it was never used. When she got married, she gave it back, and it's still just sitting in my garage. I tried using it as an outdoor burner a few times, but the wind would kill it. It wasn't enough to light a charcoal chimney. And, it's back in the corner of the garage.

food4thot
04-12-2020, 02:29 AM
Wish 1buckie would chime in this thread. Any thread.

Bob Wiley
04-12-2020, 08:48 AM
Wish 1buckie would chime in this thread. Any thread.

Maybe he's gone nuts.

Wetsmoke
04-12-2020, 09:02 AM
22.5 Weber Redhead 1976, and wife #3, love both of them.....

ModelMaker
04-12-2020, 09:02 AM
Oldest is my UDS, I found a article from this guy that fiddled with trash can smokers and had tried numerous intakes, exhaust and grill placements to make smoked meats like grandpa use to make. He was selling them ready to cook on and was backlogged for months. He foolishly put all his tech info online and I stole it and ran with it.
So I have one of the original UDS with my own personal touches, fire box door with pull out ash pan, handles and wheeled cart.
Found a long wanted performer and use it most of the time.
Ed

Smoke Dawg
04-12-2020, 09:28 AM
Oldest and longest is a handful of grates that I use on fire pits and in smoke houses. 1st smoke house lasted 15 years and the 2nd was left behind. Still need to build the 3rd.

Worst was a portable small el cheapo gas grill. Tossed that sucker

Maylar
04-12-2020, 10:23 AM
My oldest is a Sunbeam cast aluminum gasser with redwood shelves. Circa 1990. It's still my #1 grill, and it gets HOT. Replaced the burners a couple times, and the grates and wheels but it still cooks whatever I want.

https://live.staticflickr.com/5154/14293629040_5c6fd84aaf_c.jpg

mwmac
04-12-2020, 11:02 AM
Oldest grill I own is a pair of early 1970's Webers with small vent tabs, double rivet lid handle and first generation plastic wheels.
Oldest smoker that I purchased new is a Lil Chief from 45 years ago that I still use for smoking salmon and cheese.
Worst I have owned was an open bottom Brinkmann charcoal smoker that I replaced with an 18" WSM 12 or 13 years ago.

thirdeye
04-12-2020, 11:04 AM
Oldest is my UDS, I found a article from this guy that fiddled with trash can smokers and had tried numerous intakes, exhaust and grill placements to make smoked meats like grandpa use to make. He was selling them ready to cook on and was backlogged for months. He foolishly put all his tech info online and I stole it and ran with it.
So I have one of the original UDS with my own personal touches, fire box door with pull out ash pan, handles and wheeled cart.
Found a long wanted performer and use it most of the time.
Ed

Maybe 14 or 15 years ago Danny Gaulden wrote a review of the original size BDS. In that review he said "The smell was absolutely what I look for in a first class cooker and NEVER have I achived this quality for the price and cooking capacity. I call it that ol' time "Grandpaw smell"... when many years ago men cooked meat over hardwood coals and the smoke from the wood and the drippings from the meat fell down into the fire, creating an aroma that was unforgetable"

I had met Danny at the Dairy Queen where he started selling BBQ and we had a couple of mutual BBQ friends, so when I read that article, the description really hit home as my Grandfather taught me how to BBQ and I remember those backyard smells. Shortly after, the "tall model" was available and I bought two and still have them.

White Buffalo
04-12-2020, 11:16 AM
My dads smoker built about 1970 he had it about 25 years and passed it down to me and I’ve had it about 25 years. I don’t know how to post up a picture.

Whumpa
04-12-2020, 11:51 AM
The only grill that stands out for me is a Magma gas kettle grill I had for my boat. It had exactly two settings, off and auchwitz. It now resides at the bottom of Peugeot Sound.

WeberWho
04-12-2020, 12:51 PM
The oldest grill I own is a never used Royal Chef grill from the 1950's that is shaped like a pig. I found it on Craigslist around 10 years ago. I had to have it. Plus it was only $20. I've seen the exact same grill show up on Discovery channel Pawn Stars.

My oldest grill that I haven't sold off and kept for the longest amount of time is my 10 year old large BGE.