PDA

View Full Version : Today’s pulled pork (unreal!!!)

rwalters
04-10-2020, 07:09 PM
My wife brought this home the other day. Having been married for 25 years, I just smiled and said thank you. Had it for lunch today. She did mention that this was nowhere near as good as what I make. Not sure how I would’ve processed the opposite comment... lol.

Wasn’t horrible, but definitely could tell that there was no BBQ love involved in the making of it :(

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200411/3deb322a76e26baca61b871419d7994b.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200411/deb59824f55df438ea0a20b2ab1954da.jpg

Oh well, I have tri-tips coming off the MAK shortly for a good reverse seared TT dinner :)

SweetHeatBBQnSC
04-10-2020, 07:11 PM
So you could tell they didn't cook it on a MAK?

rwalters
04-10-2020, 07:13 PM
So you could tell they didn't cook it on a MAK?

There had clearly been nooooo MAK love given time this pork! Poor pig ended his life in a crock-pot :’(

jermoQ
04-10-2020, 07:33 PM
So sorry to hear!

Stingerhook
04-10-2020, 07:36 PM
No comment, except this one.

jham0077
04-10-2020, 07:37 PM
There was a convenience store that made that style pulled pork sammich. I get a craving for it occasionally. Crock pot pork, yummy. The only smoke involved with that is liquid.

Crispy Bacon
04-10-2020, 07:45 PM
My wife brought this home the other day. Having been married for 25 years, I just smiled and said thank you. Had it for lunch today. She did mention that this was nowhere near as good as what I make. Not sure how I would’ve processed the opposite comment... lol.

Wasn’t horrible, but definitely could tell that there was no BBQ love involved in the making of it :(

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200411/3deb322a76e26baca61b871419d7994b.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200411/deb59824f55df438ea0a20b2ab1954da.jpg

Oh well, I have tri-tips coming off the MAK shortly for a good reverse seared TT dinner :)

That’s hilarious! With all of the food I’ve seen you cook, I can’t believe she even thought about it!! Too funny! A little late on the April fools joke!

Sooner21
04-10-2020, 07:48 PM
Why Robb? Why would she do such a thing??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cowgirl
04-10-2020, 07:57 PM
You're a brave man.....

KevinJ
04-10-2020, 08:04 PM
Why Robb? Why would she do such a thing??

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIt's a test.

Baychilla
04-10-2020, 09:31 PM
On one hand it says Smoke House which would imply that it had been smoked. On the other hand the only reference to BBQ is the sauce. You should freeze some and the next time you smoke a shoulder secretly replace hers with the TJs version like those Folgers Crystals commercials of yore.

rwalters
04-10-2020, 10:30 PM
LOL!! After 25 years of marriage, we’ve been through a LOT more than a Trader Joe’s pulled pork lunch. I’ve learned a thing or two and grown up a bit. Two of those being to bite my tongue when necessary and to always strive to be kind!! Did I jokingly give her a hard time? Maybe ;-)

That said, I sat down and enjoyed a nice lunch with my her and even thanked her for picking up a yummy and simple meal for us.

Heard this story years ago, and have never forgotten it...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200411/d74537942796f865af200923d0875437.jpg

My mom wasn’t much of a cook growing up. When I was about eight or nine, something happened I’ll never forget.

One evening she had made dinner for us after a very long and rough day at work, She placed a plate of jam and extremely burned toast in front of my dad. Not slightly burnt but completely blackened toast.

I was just waiting to see if my dad would notice the burnt toast and say something. But Dad just ate his toast and asked me if I did my homework and how my day was. I don’t remember what I told him that night, but I do remember hearing my mom apologizing to dad for burning the toast. And I’ll never forget what he said:

“Sweetie, I love burned toast.”

Later that night, I went to tell my dad good night and asked him if he really liked his toast burned. He put his arm on my shoulder and said,

“Your momma put in a very long day at work today and she was very tired. And besides, a burnt piece of toast never hurt anyone but you know what does? Harsh words!”

Then he continued to say “You know, life is full of imperfect things and imperfect people I’m not the best at hardly anything, and I forget birthdays and anniversaries just like every other human.

But what I’ve learned over the years, is that learning to accept each others faults and choosing to celebrate each other’s differences, is one of the most important keys for creating a healthy, growing, and lasting relationship. Life is too short to wake up with regrets. Love the people who treat you right and have compassion for the ones who don’t.”

Enjoy Life Now.

People may forget what you do, and they may forget what you say, but they will never forget the way you made them feel.

WilliamKY
04-10-2020, 10:35 PM
Not gonna lie, I'd eat that. I'd make it quick like a bologna sandwich. I wouldn't consider it BBQ though.

rwalters
04-10-2020, 11:05 PM
Not gonna lie, I'd eat that. I'd make it quick like a bologna sandwich. I wouldn't consider it BBQ though.

It was quick alright. Preferred instructions on the box were for 2 mins in the microwave... lol.

TravelingJ
04-11-2020, 02:24 AM
Those things have their place. I've had them as hotel dinners on occasion...usually on trips when I didn't pack my own BBQ and Sous Vide, heh. After 4 weeks at home, and being on deck for EVERY meal, I'd be thrilled if she took the lead on one, even if it was pre-packed 'bbq'.

ModelMaker
04-11-2020, 07:20 AM
LOL!! After 25 years of marriage, we’ve been through a LOT more than a Trader Joe’s pulled pork lunch. I’ve learned a thing or two and grown up a bit. Two of those being to bite my tongue when necessary and to always strive to be kind!! Did I jokingly give her a hard time? Maybe ;-)

That said, I sat down and enjoyed a nice lunch with my her and even thanked her for picking up a yummy and simple meal for us.

Heard this story years ago, and have never forgotten it...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200411/d74537942796f865af200923d0875437.jpg

My mom wasn’t much of a cook growing up. When I was about eight or nine, something happened I’ll never forget.

One evening she had made dinner for us after a very long and rough day at work, She placed a plate of jam and extremely burned toast in front of my dad. Not slightly burnt but completely blackened toast.

I was just waiting to see if my dad would notice the burnt toast and say something. But Dad just ate his toast and asked me if I did my homework and how my day was. I don’t remember what I told him that night, but I do remember hearing my mom apologizing to dad for burning the toast. And I’ll never forget what he said:

“Sweetie, I love burned toast.”

Later that night, I went to tell my dad good night and asked him if he really liked his toast burned. He put his arm on my shoulder and said,

“Your momma put in a very long day at work today and she was very tired. And besides, a burnt piece of toast never hurt anyone but you know what does? Harsh words!”

Then he continued to say “You know, life is full of imperfect things and imperfect people I’m not the best at hardly anything, and I forget birthdays and anniversaries just like every other human.

But what I’ve learned over the years, is that learning to accept each others faults and choosing to celebrate each other’s differences, is one of the most important keys for creating a healthy, growing, and lasting relationship. Life is too short to wake up with regrets. Love the people who treat you right and have compassion for the ones who don’t.”

Enjoy Life Now.

People may forget what you do, and they may forget what you say, but they will never forget the way you made them feel.

Now go find your brother Wally and tell him to send Eddie home and you two brush your teeth and get to bed.

ronbrad62
04-11-2020, 07:21 AM
My daughter has seen some of those prepared BBQ meals and ask if we could try them. So far, we haven't found any that would pass as 'somewhat tasty'. I will remind her if she ever sees another and want to try it.

TC Smoke & Que
04-11-2020, 07:31 AM
That story sums it up Perfectly!!!!

Norm
04-11-2020, 07:32 AM
That's a great Dad, you were very lucky to have such awesome parents!

Mike Twangzer
04-11-2020, 08:41 AM
Thank you sharing that great moment with your father and his words of wisdom ...

rwalters
04-11-2020, 08:58 AM
That's a great Dad, you were very lucky to have such awesome parents!

Thank you sharing that great moment with your father and his words of wisdom ...

My bad for not being a bit more clear. That was a story I read quite some time ago that has stuck w/ me, but it wasn’t “my story.” I did have an amazing dad who would’ve done this very thing though... no doubt about it.

rwalters
04-11-2020, 09:02 AM
Now go find your brother Wally and tell him to send Eddie home and you two brush your teeth and get to bed.

lol!! My wife and I had VERY different upbringings. She has made reference on more than one occasion to the Leave it to Beaver home.

Big George's BBQ
04-11-2020, 09:35 AM
I think she is telling you to make some

rwalters
04-11-2020, 09:36 AM
I think she is telling you to make some

Awww, maybe that’s what it is. Darn it, after 25 years of marriage I still don’t have this mind to mind communication thing down very well. Thanks for helping a fellow Brethren out :)

pjtexas1
04-11-2020, 09:43 AM
Maybe she's giving you something to strive for??? :pound:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rwalters
04-11-2020, 10:12 AM
Maybe she's giving you something to strive for??? :pound:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Oh man, them be fightin’ words!
https://media0.giphy.com/media/rIEsIDt1Xs4De/giphy.gif

Maylar
04-11-2020, 12:19 PM
I'm in a household of two, and my brother/roomie doesn't particularly like pulled pork. And with very limited freezer space, I'm not likely to ever cook a pork butt. Such is life.

So when I'm in the mood for a pulled pork sammie those frozen packs fit the bill nicely. Microwave or sauce pan and bun up. I've had this one before and it's really not bad at all...

https://www.hormel.com/getattachment/03414d84-3b0d-478d-a682-7d15d6a603f5

Joe Black
04-11-2020, 01:05 PM
That was a great story. Not only about supper, but about human kindness. I have had one philosophy for a very long time that has served me very well. “I really don’t care that I may piss you off...but I would never want to hurt your feelings”.

mbt
04-11-2020, 05:18 PM
nowadays I can find pre-cooked pulled pork also here in Italy (just imagine that 5 years ago it would be impossible). Bought one time, just to have a comparison
Faaaar away from a "real" pulled pork cooked on a Q
but...there is a but...
non everybody has the chance to cook it by themselves. Maybe they live alone, or they didn't have a patio/garden where place a smoker. Or maybe they are too lazy to learn how to do Q. Doesn't matter.
But they like the taste of the barbecue. So... why not! Word is full of people that "likes" something but he's not able to do it.

WBDubya
05-04-2020, 03:46 PM
My lovely wife brought home a package of Lloyd's ribs the other day, smothered in some kind of mystery sauce. I just looked at her and asked "what am I supposed to do with that?"

rwalters
05-04-2020, 04:34 PM
My lovely wife brought home a package of Lloyd's ribs the other day, smothered in some kind of mystery sauce. I just looked at her and asked "what am I supposed to do with that?"

Smile and say thank you, that’s what :)

You can always purge in the bathroom later... lol.