PDA

View Full Version : Broil King Vertical to Masterbuilt 1050

tangierc
04-09-2020, 12:57 PM
Folks I've been learning to smoke meat on a Broil King Vertical Charcoal smoker that was given to me as a gift in fall of 2017. I really enjoy it, but since then latches have broke, the firebox door won't close properly, the built-in thermometer stopped working, interior materials flaking, and I have had such a challenge getting to and maintaining temperatures.

I live in Los Angeles where the weather is never extreme. I clean it after using it to be ready for the next cook (which is at most 1-2 times a month; weather permitting) and keep it covered.

I reached out to the manufacturer for the latest issue (the firebox door) so we'll see how that goes, but honestly I think it may be time to move on.

I was considering something larger where I can put larger pieces of meat or not have to cut a slab of ribs to fit. I thought about the Masterbuilt Gravity Series 1050. I like the size and grilling features in addition to smoking. I don't think I want to go to a pellet smoker, but I am open.

I am surprised I am having these issues with my Broil King within three years. Is that common? How long do your smokers last before having problems.

Would love to know your thoughts.