PDA

View Full Version : Msg

stangman327
03-24-2020, 12:03 PM
Does anyone here use MSG or ever have? If you have tell me the pros/cons.

WhitesideJC
03-24-2020, 01:01 PM
I personally have nothing against MSG given it's naturally occurring in this world. I don't put any priority on store-bought rubs that contain / do not contain MSG. I have some Accent that I'll usually put a little into any homemade rubs (or stews) to help amplify flavors.

Pros: Makes things taste good, elevates flavors.
Cons: Many myths but seems like they all are generally misperceptions that have been created over the years.

Probably will be a divisive subject.

thirdeye
03-24-2020, 01:54 PM
MSG helps to intensify the natural savory flavor of foods. Glutamates provide "umami" which can be described as the fifth basic taste. There are several foods that have natural glutamates, like Parmesan cheese, tomatoes, fish sauce, mushrooms etc. The best example of people liking glutamates without realizing it is Worcestershire sauce, because it contains anchovies which are high in glutamates. Almost everyone has a bottle of Wooster, but you rarely even see an advertisement for it.

Many BBQ rubs contain MSG.

Bacchus2b
03-24-2020, 06:58 PM
MSG helps to intensify the natural savory flavor of foods. Glutamates provide "umami" which can be described as the fifth basic taste. There are several foods that have natural glutamates, like Parmesan cheese, tomatoes, fish sauce, mushrooms etc. The best example of people liking glutamates without realizing it is Worcestershire sauce, because it contains anchovies which are high in glutamates. Almost everyone has a bottle of Wooster, but you rarely even see an advertisement for it.

Many BBQ rubs contain MSG.

What he said! (Also found naturally in some seaweed) I work in the food manufacturing industry and I think that MSG got a bad rap in the 80's from the so-called "Chinese Restaurant Syndrome" along with bad cholesterol shrimp, etc. In the 90's many manufacturers started pulling MSG from all consumer goods like frozen soups, frozen entree's, etc. Then they had to increase their salt levels to compensate for the flavor boost they had been getting from the MSG.

Take a look at your pantry. "Accent" is pure MSG. Many BBQ Rubs contain MSG. The #1 ingredient on the KFC Original Recipe super secret spice mix is MSG.

Try making a simple batch of chicken stock or soup sometime, divide into two portions seasoned equally with Kosher Salt, then add MSG to one portion. The difference will blow your mind.

Little Pig Barbeque
03-24-2020, 07:14 PM
I use MSG in a few of my homemade rubs. It doesnt take much, but it does help take flavors to the next level in my opinion.

I dont think it is necessary, but I do think it makes food taste great. As for health...I'm still a young guy and have no health issues knock on wood. I'm sure if you ate a teaspoon of msg a day for 20 years it may kill you lol. In saying that, what doesnt kill you these days???

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Gimmethecash
03-24-2020, 07:22 PM
I keep some Accent in the cupboard & use it from time to time.

ironmanerik
03-24-2020, 07:29 PM
I asked my dr for her opinion, she said
"There is SOME evidence that IF you get migraines it MIGHT be a contributing factor."
I have accent on the shelf although I don't use it often

LongTong
03-25-2020, 07:20 AM
For those trying to reduce sodium in their diet, MSG is a fantastic substitute said my Cardiologist...

4ever3
03-25-2020, 07:35 AM
Do your own homework!

There is nothing wrong with MSG, it was named in one study (or two) that there MAY be a problem with it and everyone ran with its gonna kill everyone!

It’s as big of a joke as “nitrate free” lunch meat and cholesterol kills.

Did I mention do your own homework?

ModelMaker
03-25-2020, 07:41 AM
It doesn't bother me a bit but will send my wife screaming for the sh*tter in a matter of minutes.
Ed