PDA

View Full Version : Gonna Try Smoked Chuckie For The First Time

ChrisBarb
03-18-2020, 08:42 AM
I assume treat it like a brisket? Slice or pull? I am not too worried. I know it will be good. But it is new to me. Thanks.

JJJBBQ
03-18-2020, 09:40 AM
Lots of good info/recipes on smoked chuck roasts. Definitely benefits from a braise after a couple of hours in the smoke.

ChrisBarb
03-18-2020, 10:10 AM
So maybe do it in a pan and then cover once it has had enough smoke?

KClandcruiser
03-18-2020, 10:14 AM

Check out pepper stout beef if you want to go this route. Always turns out a very solid product. Great pulled beef for sandwiches and a delicious juice to dip it in.

AussieMatt recently did a chuckie burnt end post where i think he ended up just wrapping it for a few hours if I recall correctly. Looks like it turned out amazing.

Good luck with the cook. I think giving it plenty of time to break down and either braising or wrapping are the key to getting it to break down and be awesomely tender

ChrisBarb
03-18-2020, 11:03 AM
Going the SmittyJonz route:

TXArmy
03-18-2020, 11:53 AM
Just did one from Costco yesterday. Would have greatly benefited from foil and liquid. I wrapped in bp and hurried it for dinner time. Next time I’ll foil it with broth/beer and plan much longer cook. These were on for 6.5 hours but easily could have been 8-9 with proper 250-275. Hindsight I’d of bought smaller prime packer for 3.99/lb vs 4.49/lb chuckie. I’ll def try again in future though.

Monkey Uncle
03-18-2020, 06:44 PM
I've been disappointed with every chuck I've ever tried. By the time all the connective tissue has broken down, it's completely dried out and has a shoe leather texture. I just stick with brisket now - it's much better, and cheaper to boot.

SmokinAussie
03-18-2020, 07:06 PM

Yes, definitely. With some beef stock or beer or wine, some onions, garlic, peppers, poblanos, mulatos, pasillas etc... Magic.

ChrisBarb
03-18-2020, 09:34 PM
So, I consider this a success. WMS at 275 degrees. Chuckie on the top rack and a pan underneath to catch drippings with a about a half can of beer. After about 2-3 hours of smoke, I panned the chuckie with another can of beer (I used a local coffee stout) and foiled it tightly. Once it probed tender, I pulled rested about a half hour. Tasted great.

Fishwater2002
03-19-2020, 06:29 AM
Just did one from Costco yesterday. Would have greatly benefited from foil and liquid. I wrapped in bp and hurried it for dinner time. Next time I’ll foil it with broth/beer and plan much longer cook. These were on for 6.5 hours but easily could have been 8-9 with proper 250-275. Hindsight I’d of bought smaller prime packer for 3.99/lb vs 4.49/lb chuckie. I’ll def try again in future though.

Interesting point you make about the price per lb. I realized that the last time I made “poor mans burnt ends” at $4.49/lb this stuff is not for poor men. I did four of them for a party & realized I could have done a packer for less, oh well live & learn. Nice looking chuckies though.

Big George's BBQ
03-19-2020, 09:41 AM
I smoke mine to 165 and put in a pan with the chuck raised on aluminum foil roll I add beer, garlic. onions, and greeb peppers Cover it and braise till fork tender When done I shred it and put it back on the grill uncovered to reduce the fluid Sooooo good