PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy a new 20 lbs tank?

Ummagumma
03-15-2020, 12:52 PM
I don't grill all that much, so I go through a tank a season, give or take.

I refill it rather than play the exchange game where they underfill your tank by 25%.

I am now thinking of getting a 2nd tank, just so that I have a backup & don't have to make an emergency rush to the filling station or break out my charcoal grill.

What is a good place to buy one, looking at the commonly available places (Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace, Sam's, Walmart, Costco etc.)

Also, what places people fill at? I've been using a local fireplace and grill shop that charges $20 for 20 lbs, not sure how this compares.

Mike Twangzer
03-15-2020, 01:10 PM
i just exchange at lowes because it's easier and less of a hassle. Don't remember the cost. sorry.

Nuco59
03-15-2020, 01:11 PM
I just got a Blue Rhino at the Wally Mart- and never take it back until it goes out of date- then repeat. I get mine refilled at Tractor Supply - just paying for the gallons it takes- $2.59 /gallon (gallon = 4.2 lbs). If my tank was completely empty it would be about $12.00.

You can- of course buy an empty 20 gallon tank anywhere you like. Check Craigs list- just look to make sure the inspection is not out of date.

jstrand
03-15-2020, 01:13 PM
I don't really have an answer, but I get mine filled at the farm store up the street. Seems to be a little cheaper than exchanging. I suppose the best place to buy a tank is wherever has the cheapest price.

Or perhaps you could get it filled where Several species of small furry animals gathered together in a cave and grooving with a pict.

Sooner21
03-15-2020, 01:51 PM
I've gotten mine from Home Depot in the past. Usually have some of the cheaper prices on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WeldonG
03-15-2020, 02:28 PM
Some U Haul places sell and fill them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

food4thot
03-15-2020, 02:40 PM
Don't have a home gasser anymore but used a lot of propane when I had a pop up trailer. Got new tanks and refills at an RV place. They were very helpful and had all the fittings to customize whatever I wanted. Set me up with a splitter for the trailer tanks and a length of hose with shutoff valves on both ends to supply a cook burner I could move anywhere within 40-50' of the trailer.

WilliamKY
03-15-2020, 02:52 PM
I just gave away a brand new, never filled tank last week. I have 3 tanks and it was in my way. I only use propane when frying fish or cajun boil. I just trade them in for a refill. Walmart, Kroger, wherever.

El Ropo
03-15-2020, 03:11 PM
$39.98 with free shipping for plus members from Sam's Club. $53 from amazon prime with free shipping. Price has recently gone up, I'm pretty sure I paid $29 for mine from Sams. The built in gauge seems to work good.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/91cpN94TzqL._AC_UL320_ML3_.jpg

boogiechillen
03-15-2020, 03:28 PM
I bought my empty at a local store. Don’t know if there are much differences in prices place to place.

I used to exchange, but now I just refill at the gas stations that do propane. Usually $12ish versus $20ish for exchanging.

I do exchange when my tank expires though.

food4thot
03-15-2020, 03:57 PM
I bought my empty at a local store. Don’t know if there are much differences in prices place to place.

I used to exchange, but now I just refill at the gas stations that do propane. Usually $12ish versus $20ish for exchanging.

I do exchange when my tank expires though.You have no choice when the tank expires because they won't refill them.

Hoss
03-15-2020, 04:14 PM
Tractor Supply sells several different size tanks and refills them also.

WilliamKY
03-15-2020, 04:25 PM
You have no choice when the tank expires because they won't refill them.
Yes and I think it's BS when they do that. All they have to do is change the valve, the tank is the same tank it's always been. If they can clean,repaint, and put a new label on them then they can surely change the valve. I traded in an old tank and got lucky and they never looked at it but it would have been rejected if they did.

ETOH
03-15-2020, 04:42 PM
Buy an old one on Craigslist, when it goes empty swap it at Blue Rhino @ Lowe’s or Home Depot. Pick out a good condition tank and look at the mfg dates stamped in the neck... get the newest one you can find...

Keep that tank and refill it at Costco for about 11 bucks.

northeast bbqer
03-15-2020, 04:48 PM
Was at BJs this morning and there was a sign for $33 and change for a new 20.

food4thot
03-15-2020, 04:55 PM
Yes and I think it's BS when they do that. All they have to do is change the valve, the tank is the same tank it's always been. If they can clean,repaint, and put a new label on them then they can surely change the valve. I traded in an old tank and got lucky and they never looked at it but it would have been rejected if they did.Tanks can be subject to varying amounts of abuse, including being out in the elements and inevitable rust. I don't disagree with taking them out of service. A 10+ year old tank might pressure test fine but fail a year or two later.

El Ropo
03-15-2020, 06:07 PM
I just want to add that I have had terrible luck with tank swaps. Most of the time, you are getting a tank that is only half full or a bit more than half. There are multiple problems with the valves. I got one that I had to immediately return because the valve wheel was stripped and wouldn't open the valve. I'd much rather trust my own tanks that were purchased new over the questionable swap tanks. I prolly only go through 2 tanks a year ATM, but still would prefer the reliability of my own tanks even for such limited use. Some convenience places around here charge well over $20 for what is basically half a tank's worth of propane, yet I could drive further down the street and get my own empty tank completely filled for around $12. That tank will pay for its self pretty fast.

Dweverett
03-15-2020, 09:48 PM

+1

If you have one nearby they are the way to go for refills. They charge by the volume they use vs a flat rate for a refill. Even when the tanks are empty it's cheaper but the approach means that if you have the extra tank you're considering you can take both with you when you want to refill one and just top off the other while you are at it.

I took three empty tanks the first time I went there and ended up spending less than it would have take to refill (or swap) at any other place I'm aware of.

Happy Hapgood
03-15-2020, 10:37 PM
I have 3 tanks. Look at the DOT stamp on your tank located and stamped on the handle. They are rated for a 5 year life before having to be recertified. I too go to Tractor Supply to get my tanks refilled. Half the price of trading in for Blue Rhino etc. When your expiration date is close on your tank, trade it in for one with a better date. They replace the valve and pressure test by law to ensure they are suitable for transport. Rust spots etc. weaken it.

ETOH
03-16-2020, 01:10 AM
I have 3 tanks. Look at the DOT stamp on your tank located and stamped on the handle. They are rated for a 5 year life before having to be recertified. I too go to Tractor Supply to get my tanks refilled. Half the price of trading in for Blue Rhino etc. When your expiration date is close on your tank, trade it in for one with a better date. They replace the valve and pressure test by law to ensure they are suitable for transport. Rust spots etc. weaken it.

Aren’t they good for 12 years from date of manufacture, then require recertification every 5 after that?

Bigbears BBQ
03-16-2020, 05:48 AM
I get all of the empty tanks I want at our towns reclamation center, they have a drop off station.

lunchman
03-16-2020, 06:23 AM
U-Haul. Since getting the Blackstone, I bought one of their tanks (which helpfully come with gauges) and refill it there. Not sure about the rest of the country, but here in Massachusetts, propane refilling has been priced by volume vs. a flat fee for several years.

NickTheGreat
03-16-2020, 08:20 AM
I used to go to a U-haul on the other side of town, but started going to an actual propane supplier. Like the one that fills the 1000 gallon tanks. They're closer, it takes maybe 10 minutes by the time they fill and I pay, and they charge based on weight.

As far as empties go, I'd second the garage sale/craigslist route. And swap if necessary.

Maylar
03-16-2020, 10:25 AM

Yep. A new empty tank for $30 and refill by volume for ~ $11. A TS just opened last year a half mile from home. Gonna check them out soon, I need 3 filled. Like others have said, when the expiration date comes I trade it in for a Blue Rhino and refill elsewhere when empty.

Seems like Lowes and Home Depot are showing 15 lb tanks now, not 20. Dunno what that's about.

gcs
03-17-2020, 03:42 PM
Used to just swap em out at Lowes, got rid of the old tanks that way, but Tractor Supply just opened near me so I had two empties filled, No fuss, no waiting, and an offer to carry the tanks to the truck...best thing was when I paid, No sales tax on an Ag account.

Happy Hapgood
03-17-2020, 06:57 PM
Aren’t they good for 12 years from date of manufacture, then require recertification every 5 after that?

You maybe right Sir. Been awhile since I've checked.

Sid Post
03-18-2020, 01:55 AM
Yep. A new empty tank for $30 and refill by volume for ~ $11. A TS just opened last year a half mile from home. Gonna check them out soon, I need 3 filled. Like others have said, when the expiration date comes I trade it in for a Blue Rhino and refill elsewhere when empty.

Seems like Lowes and Home Depot are showing 15 lb tanks now, not 20. Dunno what that's about.

They are a 20# tank with 5# of concrete in them. This became the norm with big suppliers when propane prices spiked a couple of years ago.

Gimmethecash
03-18-2020, 10:51 AM
I used to go to a U-haul on the other side of town, but started going to an actual propane supplier. Like the one that fills the 1000 gallon tanks. They're closer, it takes maybe 10 minutes by the time they fill and I pay, and they charge based on weight.

Same here - the supplier I go to is super fast and cheaper too.

cholloway
03-18-2020, 11:54 AM
Yes and I think it's BS when they do that. All they have to do is change the valve, the tank is the same tank it's always been. If they can clean,repaint, and put a new label on them then they can surely change the valve. I traded in an old tank and got lucky and they never looked at it but it would have been rejected if they did.

Tanks with expired dates are not thrown away!
When you trade in a tank it must go thru a hydrostatic leak test if the expiration date has lapsed.
They won't look at the date when you trade it in. All of that is done at the refill facility.

Gimmethecash
03-20-2020, 03:47 PM
I just had four 20-lb tanks filled (three were empty, one was half full and just topping it off) at my favorite propane supply place for $28 and change. (plus $35 each for the two tanks I bought while I was there)

13.7 gallons @ $2.08/gallon.

SmokerKing
03-20-2020, 05:01 PM
Costco - new tank and fill