PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Duty Vacuum Sealer?

Pa_BBQ
03-11-2020, 06:56 PM
I meal prep every day and do lots of BBQ, sausage making, bacon making etc.
I often cook enough on my days off to get me through the week and looking for the best options for freeezing and keeping foods fresh for 5-7 days.
I have a couple foodsavers but they are okay but thinking time to setup and get a VacMaster VP220 (https://www.amazon.com/VacMaster-VP220-Chamber-Vacuum-Sealer/dp/B082BJQSXF/ref=pd_sbs_79_t_1/147-3355022-6908669?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B082BJQSXF&pd_rd_r=58201a52-89cc-4759-bce1-ddc5d76ea695&pd_rd_w=5MZF7&pd_rd_wg=r3JqC&pf_rd_p=5cfcfe89-300f-47d2-b1ad-a4e27203a02a&pf_rd_r=9E2HGBHQJDP346DE71DM&psc=1&refRID=9E2HGBHQJDP346DE71DM)

Any thoughts on this.

kfdvm
03-11-2020, 07:12 PM
I do not have that brand, but do have a large vacuum packer. We use it all the time. Open a bottle of wine and do not drink it all, vacuum pack it. Jerky Canadian bacon, left overs chili sausage soups etc.

SMOKE FREAK
03-11-2020, 07:32 PM
I have, and love, the Vacmaster 350...

It's a brute of a machine. Worth the price.

Baychilla
03-11-2020, 07:35 PM
Wow those things have gone up in price.

sleebus.jones
03-11-2020, 08:03 PM
I've got a VP215. Love it.

SMOKE FREAK
03-11-2020, 08:05 PM
Wow those things have gone up in price.

You can pay less if you want a lesser machine.

Baychilla
03-11-2020, 08:14 PM
You can pay less if you want a lesser machine.

True that may be, but even the lesser machine is $200-300 more than it was a year or two ago.

SMOKE FREAK
03-11-2020, 08:20 PM
https://vacuumsealersunlimited.com/shop/home-use-vacuum-sealing-machines-accessories-parts/home-use-vacuum-sealing-machines/vacmaster-pro-350/

BGEChicago
03-11-2020, 08:37 PM
PA BBQ,

My advice is to bite the bullet for the upfront cost and buy it! I use mine daily for your exact reason.For example I like to smoke 16 to 20lb packers at Costco, my family of four can't eat all at once so I seal in 1lb packages and freeze for future use. I found since buying the Vacmaster it has totally (for the good) changed my way of cooking, it's usually a bunch of little bags swimming in boiling water for dinner.. Brisket, brisket, corn, etc.... BTW, buy the Vacmaster brand bags also...Buy it! Here is mine:
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1215&pictureid=12883

Thanks,
Greg

sudsandswine
03-11-2020, 09:08 PM
I really want a Vacmaster someday, but I’ve sealed literally thousands of pounds of food and hundreds upon hundreds of bags (I buy rolls and cut to size) with the Foodsaver I got from Costco several+ years ago and it’s still working just as good as the day I got it. Mine is not a clamshell model but the “insert the bag into the slot” style. Had the clamshell model maybe 10 years ago and it didn’t last that long or work that well, IMO. For the <$150 I spent on it, I am happy.

I want a chamber style model mostly due to the physics of it vs the bag vac style models. Just haven’t happened across the right deal yet as it’s not an insignificant purchase.

willsands
03-12-2020, 05:05 AM
I've had the Vacmaster 215 for a while and recommend the brand to friends. Vacuum chamber sealers have advantages and are worth the added cost over regular vacuum bag sealers.

Bear in mind that Vacmaster machines are too heavy to be conveniently portable. Mine sits permanently on a counter top in the utility room, near the freezer and sous vide bath.

TC Smoke & Que
03-12-2020, 05:24 AM
That would be a huge upgrade in my opinion. I use my "foodsaver" and would too like to upgrade to one of these.

Pa_BBQ
03-12-2020, 06:51 AM
I know it is not cheap, but do know as often as I use one and the cheaper bags would help offset the price.

I assume sealing meals for later in the week could easily lengthen shelf life by a few days even without freezing just by removing the air.

NickTheGreat
03-12-2020, 08:39 AM
I have lusted over a chamber sealer for months now. I don't think I can justify it; my bottom-off-the-line Foodsaver is still ticking along just fine.

rexster314
03-12-2020, 10:04 AM
Vacmaster 320 owner here. We love it!

halfcocked
03-12-2020, 11:33 AM
The Vacmaster expense is insane in light of freezer bags for short time freezer storage and the inexpensive Food Saver for longer.

BDAABAT
03-12-2020, 01:07 PM
I'd love to get a chamber vacuum sealer. At this point, I cannot justify the cost and the counter space (I really dislike stuff sitting out on the kitchen counter!).

However, whenever I'm trying to seal up something that's a liquid or has liquid in it (like when marinading), I think more about getting a chamber sealer. I've had enough instances of marinades that have breached the bag (even when double bagging regular zip bags) and times when my cheap-o vacuum sealer has failed to properly seal to continue to make me think about getting one.

Bruce

sleebus.jones
03-12-2020, 08:53 PM
I had a foodsaver for many, many years before getting the vacmaster. Chamber is just simply awesome for anything that's wet. Now when I marinade, it all goes in the bag, and then in the sealer. No problems. We go down to the waterfront to buy fish to freeze and have later. All that is always on ice, and very wet. Chamber sealer does it no problem. That's really the main advantage...painless sealing of anything wet, and what an advantage it is. It's also really quiet. I can run it while the SO is watching TV and she doesn't even know it was on.

Happy Hapgood
03-12-2020, 10:36 PM
Can't beat a chamber vac for sure. I don't use enough so the foodsaver does it for me.

Lawnguy
03-13-2020, 03:59 AM
Vacmaster 215....love it. We use it just about everyday. So quick and easy it makes vac sealing a pleasure.

TheCougarGuy
03-13-2020, 02:30 PM
I have the VacMaster VP112S (unfortunately discontinued) and I absolutely love it. I was originally going to buy the VP215 but decided on the 112s because of the 12" sealing strip vs. the 10.5" on the 215.

Abelman
03-13-2020, 03:40 PM
https://vacuumsealersunlimited.com/shop/home-use-vacuum-sealing-machines-accessories-parts/home-use-vacuum-sealing-machines/vacmaster-pro-350/

Agree, I have the same and have been very pleased with it after replacing Foodsaver's every couple of years or so.

Pa_BBQ
03-13-2020, 06:32 PM
Well I pulled the trigger on the VacMaster VP230 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082P51HKB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) I chose this one for the 12" bar.

BGEChicago
03-13-2020, 06:35 PM
^^^^ Good man, you will love it!^^^^^

KC Smoke
03-13-2020, 07:16 PM
Open a bottle of wine and do not drink it all

I'm so confused. That can happen?

Hoss
03-13-2020, 09:16 PM
The Vacmaster expense is insane in light of freezer bags for short time freezer storage and the inexpensive Food Saver for longer.

That seems to be a personal perspective.I appreciate that,I also understand the usefulness to the OP.I bought a VacMaster and do not regret the purchase at all.It does what I want it to do.You may not see the usefulness of one and that is fine too.I wish you hot coals and thin blue.Oh,no freezer burn too.Some of us buy,seal and freeze large quantities at a time.That is when the VacMaster earns it's keep.

Schmoke
03-14-2020, 12:45 PM
I got a Vacmaster 220 lst year. What a gamechanger! And no oil!

I'm *so* never using my old Foodsaver again.

Side note: The Vacmaster bags are about three cents a pop in bulk, compared to having to use those damn wasteful rolls for the Foodsaver that net at about 15 cents per bag. I equate Foodsaver bag rolls to printer ink.

halfcocked
03-14-2020, 03:50 PM
That seems to be a personal perspective.I appreciate that,I also understand the usefulness to the OP.I bought a VacMaster and do not regret the purchase at all.It does what I want it to do.You may not see the usefulness of one and that is fine too.I wish you hot coals and thin blue.Oh,no freezer burn too.Some of us buy,seal and freeze large quantities at a time.That is when the VacMaster earns it's keep.
No question that for large quantities it would be useful. The only long term freeze I did was for game (ducks and venison) and that's in the past. Even so, I have experienced freezer burn on long term stored game. I cut it off and go like it was not there to begin with.

Baychilla
03-14-2020, 04:48 PM
From another point of view - you'd have too cook/freeze stupendous amounts across the year in a large number of bags to make up the price/cost differential (for a number of years). You'd also need the space to accommodate the thing. Then there's the moving weight combined with "oh that needs to have maintenance done on it".

If I had the space, and the desire to play with pistons/vacuums/lubricants and move 50+lb things around routinely for a $0.20 savings per item - I'd do it. Being able to freeze liquids/soups/stews would be worthwhile. But for the majority of the users a chamber sealer is a toy or false economy.

Still - had I the free kitchen space - I'd replace my two Foodsavers in a heartbeat.

It's a tool that can be useful, fun, a cost saver or a toy depending. Like all our grills/smokers :mrgreen:

Bob Wiley
03-15-2020, 08:04 AM
I got a Vacmaster 220 lst year. What a gamechanger! And no oil!

I'm *so* never using my old Foodsaver again.

Side note: The Vacmaster bags are about three cents a pop in bulk, compared to having to use those damn wasteful rolls for the Foodsaver that net at about 15 cents per bag. I equate Foodsaver bag rolls to printer ink.

True dat

jasonjax
03-15-2020, 09:47 AM
Man this place sucks...

jstrand
03-15-2020, 01:18 PM
Man this place sucks...

Haha! Just buy one!

Baychilla
03-15-2020, 01:24 PM
Haha! Just buy one!You need the space[emoji21]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

WBDubya
03-16-2020, 02:40 PM
So I'm now in need of a vacuum sealer with the current situation we find ourselves in. No plans for tons of sealing so a chamber vac is out of the question. I don't want the cheapest unit out there but I don't want the most expensive either (doesn't everyone? LOL). Please throw some recommendations my way. Was considering LEM Maxvac 250, NESCO Deluxe Vacuum sealer and Weston Pro Series 65-0501-W.

Viticulture
03-16-2020, 03:43 PM
I have an older (6 - 7 yrs) Vacmaster 130 that I've really used over the years. Probably replaced the sealing bar 4x or so. The automatic vacuum / seal function has quit but the manual suck / seal function still keeps on truckin. At some point I'll break down and buy a new one and in my research I've continually been drawn to the Weston Pro-2300. I like the size of the sealing bar, the thickness of the seal, and the price point. Last time I looked it was around $350 on Amazon.

txsmkmstr
03-16-2020, 07:38 PM
At some point I'll break down and buy a new one and in my research I've continually been drawn to the Weston Pro-2300.

I wish the reviews were a little better percentage wise. Also, I can't seem to determine if it has a vacuum port for my food saver accessories - which I use a lot. I'd be all over that but honestly my FoodSaver is still working as long as you don't want to seal more than 12 edges at a time.

Fishawn
03-16-2020, 11:04 PM
i have, and love, the vacmaster 350...

It's a brute of a machine. Worth the price.

x3 👍👍