PDA

View Full Version : First post.. Kingsford Stockade offset and heat source question

TexasChevy86
03-10-2020, 07:34 PM
Good evening BBQB! This is my first post and I am happy to be part. I just picked up this smoker, the Kingsford Stockade from HD. I didn't know much about it, and even on the website the details and reviews were scarce. It's basically a budget version of the Yoder Witchita. After telling the manager I was deciding between this and the OK Joe Highland (at Lowe's), he gave me $75 off as it was the floor model so for $225 I couldn't pass it up. I am upgrading from a well-used $100 Charbroil American Gourmet 30" so I didn't complain.

I did the initial 3 hour clean and season, and noticed that the only part that had smoke leaking was between the firebox and the main chamber. I will be applying some high-temp seal and doing another light season tomorrow. It came with a charcoal basket and some lava-lock type gasket around the smoker lid. I also constructed a heat baffle from non-galvanized aluminum sheeting. All in-all, looking pretty promising for a COS.

Here is my question. My last offset was so small I could not fit sticks in it, only small chunks. I always used the heat source as a good bed of coals with one or two chunks on the top. LOTS of ash buildup, but I just assumed that was how it was going to be. Now with this stick burner, I kind of saw the same issue during the season so I am trying to see what the general best method is to create the least amount of ash buildup. Less coals, more wood? Lump vs. briquettes? Smaller pieces of wood? Any and all suggestions are welcome, as I am new to the actual stick burner game. Thank you all in advance!

SmittyJonz
03-11-2020, 12:07 AM
I'd ditch the basket and just use a raised grate - 2 layers of expanded metal criss crossed 90*- preferably angle iron framed.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS1veMrDOC4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtXDdcHW0iY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJYB4WVLZ6c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnbFCMIRtXQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-RhakR3Hg8

BobBrisket
03-11-2020, 01:34 AM
So, looking at the one firebox/basket pic....a quick fix would be to use the basket as the grate. You will need to elevate it with either some fire bricks or threaded rod and bolts or even some short lengths of pipe etc. Enough so that it is above the vent opening and will allow you to remove ash from the firebox opening. You could plop some rod grate or more expando in the basket as another layer.

As for the smoke leaks, try tightening up those bolts. Eventually, those small leaks gum up and close off with each cook.

Nice looking pit.

Bob

ronbrad62
03-11-2020, 02:49 AM
Nice looking smoker, and good price! No doubt you will have fun learning on that and put out some tasty food in the process.

Mike Twangzer
03-11-2020, 08:21 AM
Good score and great advice and links. Post some cooks and fire management.

ebijack
03-11-2020, 10:38 AM
Nice score!
Welcome aboard!
Are you only using briquette's to make/keep a coal bed? Or are you trying to run the smoker on briquette's.
I find that lump burns hotter and faster than briquette's. You shouldn't need hotter with less burn time.

What size splits are you planning on using? I'd recommend splits a bit longer than a soda can abut around the same dia. Example, 1 regular split. Split into 3 long sections. All cut in half. If that makes sense. You can adjust that once you learn your pit. You will be adding more splits over a given time. But you should have easier fire management and less temp swings. If that makes sense.
If you burn fruitwoods. They do not leave much of a coal base. So add briquette's as required. If you don't get the next preheated split in the fire box in time.
Hope that helps.
And don't worry about leaks when using any wood burner. Just added exhaust till they clog up like mentioned above.

greenmountainsmoke
03-11-2020, 11:46 AM
Here's a crazy thought: flip the basket over. Put your coals on what would be the bottom and use the extra space provided for catching ash while not (in theory) choking your fire. It might slightly raise the temp in your CC since the fire will be higher but keeps you from having to buy/fabricate anything. Just my 2 cents as I caught a quick glance at the pic.

TexasChevy86
03-11-2020, 01:43 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions, this really gets me in the right direction. It seems from what I have gathered, I may need to use smaller splits and find a way to get the basket either flipped, elevated, or replaced by an expanded metal grate that sits a bit higher in the firebox. Makes perfect sense for getting more air underneath.

During the initial season, I made a coal bed with one full chimney of RO briquettes, and then dropped in 2 splits. However these splits were the Western Premium Hickory from Wally World and they are THICK. As of this morning I have found a supplier with seasoned Pecan/Post Oak that is not only cheaper, but is split about half the diameter of the Western's so I will definitely be giving these a run next time out.

I guess it's off to HD to see what I can do for raising my coal bed. And per your suggestions, I will also hold off on sealing anything else up and hopefully allow it to seal itself a bit. It's really a minor leak anyways. Thank you guys again

SmittyJonz
03-11-2020, 07:05 PM
You can do an expanded metal grate with flat stock or angle bolted to it for frame if you don’t weld. A circular with carbide blade will cut expanded metal and angle or flat stock. Jigsaw will cut expanded metal.

You’re in Garland - head over to Burleson with measurements and pics and I’ll make you one if you buy metal. My welding sucks but Good enough for a fire grate...........

SmittyJonz
03-11-2020, 07:12 PM
Or buy one of these - Academy n Walmart even have some - cut to fit with jigsaw - add expanded metal on top with bolts or bailing wire or stainless steel zip ties

https://www.amazon.com/Music-City-Metals-90211-Replacement/dp/B000OCBML0/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=rectangular+grill+grate&qid=1583971860&sr=8-3

SmittyJonz
03-11-2020, 07:17 PM
Flipping basket upside down - like suggested above - and adding a layer of expanded criss crossed may work

SmittyJonz
03-11-2020, 07:19 PM
It’s Cheapest to buy firewood off Craigslist - 1/4-1/3 cord - but you will most likely have to cut the splits in half. The bag firewood at H-E-B or Academy or other places the splits are like 10 inches (mini logs not chunks) - would be perfect for that - but it cost more vs 1/4 cord for same amount.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/b-b-kiln-dried-flavored-125-cu-ft-bbq-cooking-wood-logs#repChildCatid=5152564

Baychilla
03-11-2020, 07:33 PM
It’s Cheapest to buy firewood off Craigslist - 1/4-1/3 cord - but you will most likely have to cut the splits in half. The bag firewood at H-E-B or Academy or other places the splits are like 10 inches (mini logs not chunks) - would be perfect for that - but it cost more vs 1/4 cord for same amount.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/b-b-kiln-dried-flavored-125-cu-ft-bbq-cooking-wood-logs#repChildCatid=5152564

How many 1.25' bags = 1/4 of a cord?

stan5677
03-11-2020, 07:34 PM
You got me interested in this pit to dip my toes into cooking with wood. How is the build quality, and heat management/temp swings?

SmittyJonz
03-11-2020, 07:36 PM
How many 1.25' bags = 1/4 of a cord?

A whole chit load - be pricey. But the bag wood is good to get started or if you’re like me and your wood is 2- 2 1/2 years old since split and very dry -I mix in Mesquite bag wood.

SmittyJonz
03-11-2020, 07:38 PM
You got me interested in this pit to dip my toes into cooking with wood. How is the build quality, and heat management/temp swings?

I’ve looked at these at Home Depot - about same as Ok Joe Longhorn or Old Country Pecos. Small learning curve but it’s Decent.

You just have to remember that an offset does not have steady Temp - it cooks in a cook range Target temp plus or -25 to 30°. So temps will bounce from 225 to 275 or so to average 250*.
You will have to figure out what size logs work best and what time frame to add logs - generally going to be every 30 to 45 minutes. Most of these cheaper ones will have 50° difference (possibly 75*) end to end - But adding convection plates or tuning plates or water pans under grate on firebox side can bring the temp difference down to 15 to 20* difference end to end.

stan5677
03-11-2020, 07:54 PM
I’ve looked at these at Home Depot - about same as Ok Joe Longhorn or Old Country Pecos. Small learning curve but it’s Decent.

You just have to remember that an offset does not have steady Temp - it cooks in a cook range Target temp plus or -25 to 30°. So temps will bounce from 225 to 275 or so to average 250*.
You will have to figure out what size logs work best and what time frame to add logs - generally going to be every 30 to 45 minutes. Most of these cheaper ones will have 50° difference (possibly 75*) end to end - But adding convection plates or tuning plates or water pans under grate on firebox side can bring the temp difference down to 15 to 20* difference end to end.

Thanks for the info it will either be a decent sized offset or a uds as i am running out of space on my back porch.

TexasChevy86
03-11-2020, 10:02 PM
It's not bad actually. Even with the one leak spot I mentioned between the firebox and cooking chamber, I was able to keep the temp between 250 and 300 during the 3 hour burn in. I have cooked on an offset previously so I had a bit of knowledge I could transfer.

Build quality is good for a smoker at this cost, but you could get thicker metal with an Old Country Pit. The metal is a tad thicker in the firebox vs the cooking chamber, but it's not pliable or anything by any means. I know the OK Joe Highland is a go-to starter smoker, and if I wouldn't have gotten this one at such a great price, I may have went with that one. All in all though, it is a solid build, but definitely check out the OK Joe Highland or Old Country Pecos if you've got a little extra to spend.

TexasChevy86
03-11-2020, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the info it will either be a decent sized offset or a uds as i am running out of space on my back porch.
This smoker is not super wide but has quite a bit of depth. You can remove the holding grates on the sides of the smoker and save quite a bit of elbow room.

TexasChevy86
03-21-2020, 02:00 PM
UPDATE:
2 bricks for 68 cents did the trick. Elevated the grate enough where I get plenty air and can still clean ashes out during the cook

TXArmy
03-21-2020, 06:04 PM
Hope that works for you but I tried something similar with no luck. I was toying with wood grate height in the firebox. If yours is anything like mine the damper is too low for a grate that high. I cut a new wood grate out of expanded metal I bought at Home Depot for $20. Lower, at damper height, works great.

TexasChevy86
03-21-2020, 06:38 PM
Hope that works for you but I tried something similar with no luck. I was toying with wood grate height in the firebox. If yours is anything like mine the damper is too low for a grate that high. I cut a new wood grate out of expanded metal I bought at Home Depot for $20. Lower, at damper height, works great.
Compared to the original issue where the grate sat too low (below the damper holes), it is working exponentially better. I am rolling smoke on a couple St. Louis racks right now. I first tried flipping the basket over but keeping everything on top of the grate was quite difficult. I may try the expanded metal method, but i'm sure I would need to buy the power tools or whatever else is needed to craft it. But hey if it gets me in the sweet spot then I'm all for it

TXArmy
03-21-2020, 06:49 PM
Sounds like it’s working better, that’s all that matters. I bought a cut off disc/wheel for my cordless drill and with a little patience cut through the expanded metal. Good luck on the ribs. I finished a 12 hour pork shoulder smoke for dinner tonight. My 3rd cook on new/old stick burner. Definitely an art and science compared to the pellet game I’ve been used to for years.