PDA

View Full Version : I am NOT an A$$hole Neighbor!

ModelMaker
03-08-2020, 01:51 PM
We took the neighbors out to dinner Fri. night for watching the house while we were in Florida and in turn they invited us over for a cookout Sat. night.
They said they had some fantastic looking pork loin steaks and would make garlic bread and would I bring my "great" twice baked potatoes, so we said sure be over around 3:30.
I had her put my fantastic looking cheese stuffed/topped twice baked taters in the oven at 250 or so to keep them warm, well nearly two hours later (fine with us) the neighbor starts thinking of cooking dinner. Passed through with 3 nice 2" center cut chops and a hamburger (the wife doesn't like meat but will eat a burger) and a loaf of garlic bread in the silver sack.
His wife pipes up and asked him if he wanted me to cook!! Apparently word is out of my excellent grilling skills. I had thought earlier in the day about calling him and offering to set him up with a brine, then thought better of it. He just looked at her and kept walking out to the grill. Twice more in the next half hour she repeats her offer for me to cook. Now if there's one thing I DO know about grilling is "Never Offer To Help Another Grill Guy On His own Machine"!!
After about 45 minutes I looked at my wife and gave my head a lil shake and she knew why. Over 1 hour cook time at grill temps he hauled the meat into the kitchen and they didn't look half bad, however the garlic bread had been sliced with a rolling pin (1/4" thick) and my beautiful twice baked taters had
emptied themselves like a cheezy lava flow out into the bakeware (think upchuck looking).
I have and never hope to again have to try to and put such dry, tough, tasteless meat down my stomach entrance ever again. I had to cut my normal size bite into 3 smaller bites so I could chew it enough not to choke me as I tried to swallow.
Yet, I being NOT an A$$hole neighbor complimented him on a meal well done (literally) and thanked them for their kindness...
Ed
P.S. the wifes leftover pork (3/4's of it) will be cut up into small pieces so the feral cat we feed does not choke either.

mchar69
03-08-2020, 01:54 PM
Good for you! It's awful hard to keep quiet in a situation like that.
Pics? :)

bschoen
03-08-2020, 02:05 PM
Sounds like you are an enabler. :boxing:

halfcocked
03-08-2020, 02:05 PM
You're a good neighbor. That story matches mine with the inlaw the other weekend. Chicken breasts on the Egg. No brine no sauce no seasoning, just breast like leather. Worst BBQ I remember ever having. Said not a word but I won't be back unless there's something other than BBQ on the menu.:wink:

ssv3
03-08-2020, 02:09 PM
"Good" on you Ed. :becky:

I've had that happen to me here and there when someone that knows I like to bbq tried to wow me. I'm no snob by any means but I totally get where you come from. You still give 'em credit for effort.

Mike Twangzer
03-08-2020, 02:16 PM
I think it's a funny story. They tried .... and I appreciate the thought and trying.

Maybe we should start a thread .... "I'm an a$$hole neighbor" :-D

Inthewoods
03-08-2020, 02:18 PM
I wish I was there!
'Wife pipes up...' and suggests ya do the cooking...!!
My God, man!
Meat, fire, testosterone...and a wilty malnourished woman ta boot...what a recipe fer salty, teary eyed entries inta personal journals!
I feel fer yer counterpart...ta be pushed so far down the ladder of "attraction" by way of fire management is a terrible event ta witness.
Best ta end it on a positive note...head next door, throw some rocks at him and drag yer new gal home by the hair.
Then head on over ta the other a$$hole neighbor thread and tell him how it's done.

I bet those twice bakes were burned ta chit on purpose..but those who grunt the loudest are truly the happiest! Well done!!

-D

SmittyJonz
03-08-2020, 02:23 PM
Get same Pork steaks and invite them over for steaks Done Right..............

JJJBBQ
03-08-2020, 02:25 PM
Always a tough situation that you handled with grace! Always reminds me of National Lampoons Vacation when everyone is sitting down to a “nice” turkey dinner...

pjtexas1
03-08-2020, 02:26 PM
That's how it's done. None of us started out where we are now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SlowmotionQue
03-08-2020, 02:32 PM
I feel your pain. Whole scenario brought a tear to my eye. I haven’t seen anything this sad since The Waltons.

gtr
03-08-2020, 02:37 PM
Good on ya. It's always nice to eat well-prepared food, but sometimes it's just good times with friends that's the highlight.

blazinfire
03-08-2020, 02:56 PM
In this case.. I'm sorry I would be an A$$hole neighbor if that's what required to be an A$$hole neighbor.. First of all.. you brought twice baked potato's.. that's time/food wasted. I wouldn't be mean but I would comment on what he could do next time in that situation to at least help this person know what he did wrong and how to improve his food.. I like food to much to watch other people ruin it. I would rather give someone advice on how to improve instead of just being quiet and "lying" to them saying their food is good..

If the roles were reversed.. I would normally ask the people eating my food how it was.. I expect them to be honest.. if the food sucks then it sucks. I can learn from my mistakes... But then again.. maybe that's why I don't have many friends and I stay at home to myself most of the time..... oh who am i kidding, those who i considered friends are pricks sometimes LOL

marvda1
03-08-2020, 03:22 PM
invite them over and have a few of your q-head friends over too, believe me the neighbor's wife will get him corrected.

pjtexas1
03-08-2020, 03:46 PM
Buy him a thermo pop. I find that guys that over cook meat are afraid to under cook and make people sick. Hopefully he just needs a tool to confirm its safe to eat.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SlowmotionQue
03-08-2020, 05:22 PM
.....P.S. the wifes leftover pork (3/4's of it) will be cut up into small pieces so the feral cat we feed does not choke either.

You must be trying to get rid of that feral cat.

RandyNight
03-08-2020, 06:05 PM
May have missed it, but did your neighbor eat up his own cooking? Any chance it was done just like he prefers?

TxQGuy
03-08-2020, 06:16 PM
Always a tough situation that you handled with grace! Always reminds me of National Lampoons Vacation when everyone is sitting down to a “nice” turkey dinner...

Mmm, mmm! That's good eatin' , Clark! :laugh:

TxQGuy
03-08-2020, 06:17 PM
Also, I was at a get-together once where the chicken was served medium rare...so could always be worse! :shocked: