PDA

View Full Version : Duke's mayo.... tell me about it

blazinfire
03-02-2020, 07:59 PM
So... I was looking for sandwich stuff here in WV.. and ran across 32oz jars of dukes mayo.. I've heard it mentioned a couple times is it really something special?

GrantAshton
03-02-2020, 08:01 PM
Yes. Great product. I purchased it regularly when we lived in Virginia.

Now I order it direct.

Mikhail
It's mayo. Some prefer it to Hellman's. I could not tell much difference.

gtsum
That’s all we use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SMOKE FREAK
Compared to other mayo I have tried it is special.
Others love the Blue Plate but I like Dukes best.

Hoss
03-02-2020, 08:03 PM
In my humble opinion,it is the FINEST store bought Mayo you can procure.I was raised on Helman's and Blue Plate.YES,it is worth it to me.It is the only one I allow in my home.There are some things that just stand above the rest.Duke's is one of those things.

ShadowDriver
03-02-2020, 08:04 PM
It's Mayo. I HATE mayo.

I'll use Duke's (VERY lightly on a sammich, or with other things in a recipe).

Good quality ingredients (as others noted). Plays well with others.

4ever3
03-02-2020, 08:18 PM
Unless your going to make homemade (which is very easy) it’s hands DOWN the best!

I eat our homemade by the spoons full, I can nearly do that with Dukes.

#justbuyit

lastmajordude
03-02-2020, 08:28 PM
I’m a big fan of Dukes, Blue Plate and Kraft....

SmokerKing
03-02-2020, 09:18 PM
Duke's contains a higher ratio of egg yolks than most other commercial mayos, which makes it rich, creamy, and less likely to separate when heated. There's a wisp of tang from vinegar and a touch of paprika. Its texture is thicker and almost custard-like instead of simply slick or gelatinous.

blazinfire
03-02-2020, 10:47 PM
Yup.. exactly the response I expected. Never heard of it, and I was always a Miracle Whip guy.. but recently converted to mayo! Got a jar. time for sammiches!

dummy que
03-02-2020, 11:10 PM
Grate stuff

BobBrisket
03-02-2020, 11:25 PM
Well, growing up, my dad was big on mayo on sammiches. When I was working for him and mom packed sammiches, they were loaded with mayo!! LOL. I have always loved mayo and never really thought there would be much difference between one to another. I really like the Best Foods Lime mayo, (I think Best Foods makes it) because the extra tang is great.
Recently, I saw Dukes and got a bottle. OMG!!! I could tell the difference right away!! As for the wife and kids.....eh....mayo is mayo to them.

NOW, if you guys really like a rich, tangy type mayo..........try some of the Mexican brand mayos!! REALLY good too.

As for Dukes, now my go to. I have tried to find Blue Plate, but no luck.

Bob

My kids aren't big mayo fans........made some grilled cheese sammiches for em the other day and used mayo instead of butter..........they RAVED about em. Told em, yeah,I made em with mayo instead of butter. They had the WTF look on their face and some silence. LOL. Guess mayo will be used for GC from now on.

blazinfire
03-02-2020, 11:39 PM
Well, growing up, my dad was big on mayo on sammiches. When I was working for him and mom packed sammiches, they were loaded with mayo!! LOL. I have always loved mayo and never really thought there would be much difference between one to another. I really like the Best Foods Lime mayo, (I think Best Foods makes it) because the extra tang is great.
Recently, I saw Dukes and got a bottle. OMG!!! I could tell the difference right away!! As for the wife and kids.....eh....mayo is mayo to them.

NOW, if you guys really like a rich, tangy type mayo..........try some of the Mexican brand mayos!! REALLY good too.

As for Dukes, now my go to. I have tried to find Blue Plate, but no luck.

Bob

My kids aren't big mayo fans........made some grilled cheese sammiches for em the other day and used mayo instead of butter..........they RAVED about em. Told em, yeah,I made em with mayo instead of butter. They had the WTF look on their face and some silence. LOL. Guess mayo will be used for GC from now on.

yah.. I just made a turkey and swiss sandwich. Was real interested in trying duke's as I hear people on here rave about it, and knew it was a southern thing for a long time.

I really enjoyed it. A little my tangy than what I normally get but in a good way. Very rich smooth and chunkyish.. don't regret the purchase at all!

Lawnguy
03-03-2020, 05:06 AM
Blue Plate

Mikhail
03-03-2020, 07:02 AM
I have been hearing elsewhere that Japanese mayos are incredible . Haven't made a trip to get one yet.

willsands
03-03-2020, 07:07 AM
It's good mayo and I like to support the Duke family, especially Daisy.

SweetHeatBBQnSC
03-03-2020, 07:20 AM
Very good stuff! Use Miracle Whip as well. I have always thought that Miracle Whip goes better with fried bologna sandwiches. All other sandwiches definitely Dukes.

16Adams
03-03-2020, 07:38 AM
This is the recipe that introduced us to Duke’s

I’m sure it’ll work well with others, but The Master’s recipe converted us
Mhttps://intentionalhospitality.com/masters-pimento-cheese-recipe/

KClandcruiser
03-03-2020, 08:19 AM
I have been hearing elsewhere that Japanese mayos are incredible . Haven't made a trip to get one yet.

Yeah, the kewpie mayo is great for a nice change of pace

gcs
03-03-2020, 08:44 AM
First of all....Miracle whip ain't mayonaise, :-D

Here....Hellmans, (Best foods) is king, Duke has been available last couple years and it's good too...but, it's mayo....looks like mayo, tastes like mayo, probably some kind of mayo.... :wink:

sarth67
03-03-2020, 08:47 AM
Lower in Carbs than most other brands and still tastes good for mayo. Use it for pimento cheese frequently.

Robert
03-03-2020, 09:45 AM
Blue plate. I think it has a smoother consistency and better flavor. Dukes tastes saltier to me. I think both are better than Hellman's.

1MoreFord
03-03-2020, 10:12 AM
Dukes is the only major brand of mayo that does not contain sugar. Great stuff.

WilliamKY
03-03-2020, 01:47 PM
I used to alternate between Duke's and Blue Plate cause I like them both. My grocery stopped carrying Blue Plate so it's Duke's exclusively now but if I get a nice coupon for Kraft or Hellman's I will use it.

blazinfire
03-03-2020, 01:56 PM
Yup.. two sandwiches in.. I'm all in on dukes. I like it.

LloydQ
03-03-2020, 02:32 PM
Sauer's is not bad, either. More vinegary than BP or Duke's.

frankenfab
03-03-2020, 02:37 PM
Dukes all the way!

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1223&pictureid=13287

food4thot
03-03-2020, 03:08 PM
Never tried Duke's. Very happy with Sir Kensington's Organic Mayo With Free-Range Eggs (https://www.amazon.com/Sir-Kensingtons-Organic-Mayonnaise-16/dp/B01DP28CEU/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1CBPV7SB4RTXK&keywords=sir+kensington+mayonnaise&qid=1583267608&sprefix=sir+%2Caps%2C541&sr=8-4). Plus, no soybean oil like Duke's, Hellmann's, and most other mayos. SK is made with sunflower oil. They also make an avocado oil version. Both are very good.

Check out the vid in the Amazon link.

Smoking Piney
03-03-2020, 04:39 PM
Love Dukes. It has that extra little bit of tangy taste to it.

Kimo1
03-03-2020, 08:05 PM
Good stuff. Tastes like a combo of mayo and miracle whip to me.

FLHX
03-05-2020, 04:18 PM
Ordered up a jar of Duke's after seeing it used in an ATBBQ vid. Since that first jar, no other mayo in my house! I can't get it locally so is a recurring Amazon order.