PDA

View Full Version : Brining a butterball Turkey

Az porky
02-27-2020, 12:58 PM
I would like to brine a butterball Turkey with a apple brine do you think this is a good idea? :confused:

SirPorkaLot
02-27-2020, 01:01 PM
Yes.

We use Apple in our dry brine product - Harvest Brine, which is made for turkey.

Big George's BBQ
02-27-2020, 01:10 PM
I have used wet brines with great success- PattioDaddio's and I have used Harvest Brine- a dry brine It is REALLY good stuff and much more convenient I do believe Butterball Turkeys are enhanced I dont know how that works with the brine

thirdeye
02-27-2020, 01:22 PM
So you don't interfere with (or overpower) the Butterball injected brine.... why not inject an apple juice concoction 4 or 5 hours before cooking it?

WilliamKY
02-27-2020, 01:45 PM
I have used wet brines with great success- PattioDaddio's and I have used Harvest Brine- a dry brine It is REALLY good stuff and much more convenient I do believe Butterball Turkeys are enhanced I dont know how that works with the brine
I used Harvest Brine on a Honeysuckle White whole turkey which is also enhanced. It was excellent. I think the enhancement is more for keeping the bird from drying out than it is to add flavor. The brine worked great.

Viticulture
02-27-2020, 02:35 PM
I've been wet brining turkeys since I can remember and last Thanksgiving tried out Naturiffic's Harvest Brine and it was a huge success. Hard to explain but the meat comes out juicier and more flavorful and the skin crisps up nicer. Harvest Brine for me from here on out.

Little Pig Barbeque
02-27-2020, 02:58 PM
I ALWAYS recommend brining a turkey. It's fun to experiment with different brines, but they usually always turn out better.

Another route is to inject. I have had very good results with a nice injection. Especially if I a crunched for time.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

halfcocked
02-27-2020, 04:42 PM
All great responses except no one says how they cook the bird after the brine. So--- how do you cook the bird. Anyone done it in a Big Easy?

food4thot
02-27-2020, 06:09 PM
Call me lazy but decided to not bother wet brining enhanced birds years back. IMO the only chickens/turkeys worth brining are ones that haven't been previously farked with. Very lucky to have a local place that can get me fresh Amish poultry with a couple days notice.

ChrisBarb
02-28-2020, 08:53 AM
^^^It's not lazy. The "enhanced" birds are basically already brined. No need to further brine unless you want to add a flavor. In which case, I would skip using any additional salt and just stick to apple juice or whatever.

Big George's BBQ
02-28-2020, 09:14 AM
I do mine in the Big easy and they turn out great Mike AKA Happy Hapgood and IamMadMan have some great post on it My T day Bird was described as perfect from my wife I used Harvest Brine and when I had the color I wanted from The Big Easy I took the lid off hor the rest of the cook

stan5677
02-28-2020, 12:27 PM
All great responses except no one says how they cook the bird after the brine. So--- how do you cook the bird. Anyone done it in a Big Easy?

I cooked mine on my pellet grill 2 hours on smoke then 325 to finish.

Royalslover
02-28-2020, 06:39 PM
Brined or not I cook mine on a drum as hot as it will go. Skin isn't fabulous but the meat sure is.

mchar69
02-28-2020, 07:47 PM
Call me lazy but decided to not bother wet brining enhanced birds years back. IMO the only chickens/turkeys worth brining are ones that haven't been previously farked with.

NOT LAZY at all. I would never inject or wet brine a Butterball turkey.