PDA

View Full Version : Otto Wilde?? Help me spend some money!!

ETOH
02-17-2020, 03:28 PM
So with my Sous Vide game increasing, I’m getting really tired of heating up the BGE for a 1minute sear.

Saw someone in a post mention the Otto Wilde...
I’ve looked at the beefer for a while, but it seemed too small and the xl was pretty spendy...

With the Otto Wilde sale it can be had for $850... still a lot of money, but for what I’ve saved going out for a nice steak...

So my questions are

Is it as awesome for searing as it looks?

Anyone paid less? I’m not in a hurry If patience will save money later on.

Feedback from anyone who has used one?

Is there something better I should look at before buying?

Thanks!

rwalters
02-17-2020, 03:31 PM
You could get a flame thrower (weed burner) for under $100 that’ll give you an insane sear. That said, it’s not the most practical solution. I just bought the Otto and received it last Friday. Have used it twice and absolutely love the results. Bottom line, it’s exactly what I was hoping it would be. It seems to be incredibly well built, and gives me no reason to believe I won’t be enjoying it for years to come :)

ETOH
02-17-2020, 04:19 PM
Any recommended accessories? But once cry once...

JJJBBQ
02-17-2020, 04:45 PM
From what I understand, the Otto Wilde is a broiler. Could also consider an Ooni pizza oven. Can get 800+ degrees and use as a broiler with their cast iron pans for half as much. And you’d have the pizza functionality too! Would opt for the gas version. Pellets take some extra handling. Probably going to buy the gas attachment for my Ooni 3.

JAKs Q & brew
02-17-2020, 05:49 PM
Have you tried searing directly over a charcoal chimney? All you need is a small round grate (like the bottom grate on a Weber 22").

I have never been able to produce a more concentrated high heat with any broiler, pizza oven or blow torch.

WBDubya
02-17-2020, 06:12 PM
Any recommended accessories? But once cry once...

I bought the stainless steel grate for easy cleanup in the dishwasher. Hardback cookbook is a nice addition, tons of recipes.

I doubt you’ll find it for a lower price. I had a bunch of Amazon points I used for this purchase. You’ll love the Otto, it’s a searing machine!

WBDubya
02-17-2020, 06:14 PM
You could get a flame thrower (weed burner) for under $100 that’ll give you an insane sear. That said, it’s not the most practical solution. I just bought the Otto and received it last Friday. Have used it twice and absolutely love the results. Bottom line, it’s exactly what I was hoping it would be. It seems to be incredibly well built, and gives me no reason to believe I won’t be enjoying it for years to come :)

Robb, you need to update your tag line!

ssv3
02-17-2020, 06:15 PM
Do you by chance own a Blackstone pizza oven?

When I sous vide I use it for searing. Does a superb job.

http://i.imgur.com/LJ0Nbi7h.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/O5u7HFeh.jpg

rwalters
02-17-2020, 06:28 PM
Robb, you need to update your tag line!

Was just thinking that... I’ll do it at work tomorrow at my computer. Don’t think you can do it through Tapatalk.

gtr
02-17-2020, 07:13 PM
Screaming hot cast iron gives a great sear.

Bacchus2b
02-17-2020, 07:19 PM
Screaming hot cast iron gives a great sear.

What he said! Most restaurants that use Sous Vide also use an induction burner with a cast iron pan for searing. Both of which can be had for under $100 on Amazon. Heats up in seconds, no mess.

SlowmotionQue
02-17-2020, 08:50 PM
So with my Sous Vide game increasing, I’m getting really tired of heating up the BGE for a 1minute sear.

Saw someone in a post mention the Otto Wilde...
I’ve looked at the beefer for a while, but it seemed too small and the xl was pretty spendy...

With the Otto Wilde sale it can be had for $850... still a lot of money, but for what I’ve saved going out for a nice steak...

So my questions are

Is it as awesome for searing as it looks?

Anyone paid less? I’m not in a hurry If patience will save money later on.

Feedback from anyone who has used one?

Is there something better I should look at before buying?

Thanks!

Mine is due in on Wednesday.

And BTW, while it's $850.00 now and the lowest I've seen it, they will ding you for the VAT (European Union value added tax) of another $50.00 bringing it to $900.

At that price, and at this time, from what I've seen of it, and considering that it started out at $1299, that $900.00 is a price I'm comfortable paying for it.

I'm getting it in part for the reason you allude to. I'm tired of firing up my Kamado Joe and waiting for it to heat up to the temperature ranges at which I like to sear my steaks, and then searing them for a minute or two per side, and then shutting it down.

The Otto Wilde will get up to temp in about 3 minutes.

ETOH
02-18-2020, 12:50 AM
Have you tried searing directly over a charcoal chimney? All you need is a small round grate (like the bottom grate on a Weber 22").

I have never been able to produce a more concentrated high heat with any broiler, pizza oven or blow torch.

Yeah, I know this sounds ridiculous... I hate wasting all that charcoal and taking the time to light it for such a quick sear... Then waiting for the coals to cook down before I go to bed.

ETOH
02-18-2020, 12:51 AM
Do you by chance own a Blackstone pizza oven?

When I sous vide I use it for searing. Does a superb job.

Interesting idea... I do have one, considered trying it... but was unsure about the splattering of grease In there.

Good idea, nice looking steaks!!

Robert
02-18-2020, 06:43 AM

Have you seen the Unknown BBQ Chimney Grate? No affiliation, just think it is a nice product that I might try someday. I too have grilled on top of the chimney before with great success.

https://unknownbbq.com/product/chimney-griller/

Robert

ModelMaker
02-18-2020, 06:56 AM
Do some internet searching for going out of business restaurants and look for a Salamander and bid online or phone.
Ed