PDA

View Full Version : Splitting point and flat on Brisket

kickedaside05
02-02-2020, 01:38 PM
So I still consider my skills to be novice, and experimenting with what works for me. Getting better with every cook though. I was thinking about splitting the point at flat before putting it on the smoker. How many of you do this vs cooking the whole packer in tack. Any tips for cooking it split? Still cooking on my Kamado Joe, but doing a brisket like this may be my first cook on my T&K reverse flow cabinet when I pick it up.

BBQ Freak
02-02-2020, 01:45 PM
I always cook them intact and seems to keeps both pieces more moist .

Iroquois
02-02-2020, 01:49 PM
I've done them both ways, and even trimmed most of the fat from between the flat and the point and let them cook as if it was one piece, but I'm with BBQ Freak, cooking them together keeps the moisture content better.

4ever3
02-02-2020, 02:12 PM
I split them, grind the flat for burgers and smoke the point, but that’s prolly just me...

pjtexas1
02-02-2020, 02:24 PM
If I had to split it would be lengthwise. Point and flat in both cooks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ron_L
02-02-2020, 03:20 PM
For home cooks I keep it whole, but for competitions I split. Splitting gives me better control over the doneness of both muscles.

Speeed
02-02-2020, 05:18 PM
I cook a brisket intact and sometimes split after the rest. Usually trim it whole. Just change directions from point to flat.
Full disclosure...I've never done it any other way. See no reason to.

SmoothBoarBBQ
02-02-2020, 11:04 PM
I like to split them because it allows you to get both muscles cooked to perfectly tender. When cooking the brisket whole it's really hard to get the point perfectly tender without overcooking the flat. I also like to do burnt ends, so by separating the burnt ends will have rub on 2 sides instead of just the top...definitely a win.

Butcher BBQ has a great video showing how to easily separate the muscles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-fI7n7eqJM

JiveTurkey
02-02-2020, 11:32 PM
I split. Flat gets sliced, point goes to burnt ends, trimmings go to hamburger meat. Just cook it right and you'll be good.

halfcocked
02-03-2020, 07:12 AM
I Trim most of fat from between the point and flat and smoke together until the flat or point (whichever) gets done first. Then separate, cut the point into mouth size pieces and put back in a pan with some sauce to finish for burnt ends. The flat gets rested and sliced pencil thickness cross grain.

gtsum
02-03-2020, 07:40 AM
I like to split them because it allows you to get both muscles cooked to perfectly tender. When cooking the brisket whole it's really hard to get the point perfectly tender without overcooking the flat. I also like to do burnt ends, so by separating the burnt ends will have rub on 2 sides instead of just the top...definitely a win.

Butcher BBQ has a great video showing how to easily separate the muscles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-fI7n7eqJM

Thatís one of the better examples I have seen. I sometimes cook whole, sometimes split before cooking as I like burnt ends and they are much better with smoke and rub on two sides vs one like you said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pigville porkers
02-03-2020, 08:12 AM
I cook whole, then split them when i wrap. Flat gets wrapped and point gets the burn end love.

kickedaside05
02-03-2020, 08:23 AM
Thank you everyone for the responses. I think I will split the next brisket cooking the flat and point at the same time. I guess you will never know what way you like best unless you try. Also gave me a reason to buy two briskets instead of one this past weekend on sale at Kroger.

Mikhail
02-03-2020, 09:19 AM
Done it both ways and it has always worked out pretty well.

SmoothBoarBBQ
02-03-2020, 11:24 AM
Thatís one of the better examples I have seen. I sometimes cook whole, sometimes split before cooking as I like burnt ends and they are much better with smoke and rub on two sides vs one like you said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sounds great! I've seen so many videos where people complicate separating the muscles, but I love the way that Butcher does it in 10 seconds. It took me a couple of briskets to get the technique down, but now it's just 2nd nature for me and it's quick and easy.

thirdeye
02-03-2020, 02:50 PM
https://i.imgur.com/NWLntVE.jpg

I'm also a fan of cutting in half lengthwise, mainly so I can triple wrap one half for freezing and reheating later. That said, I cooked 3 briskets for competition practice and 2 more at the competition, all of which I separated. I particularly liked the way the point came out ready for making very even cubes.

https://i.imgur.com/VdMNiQx.jpg

kickedaside05
02-03-2020, 04:08 PM
That looks delicious. The new T&K T&K can't get here soon enough. I'll do a write up on the experience with Todd once I get it, and how I like it af5er a couple of smokes.