PDA

View Full Version : Sous Vide = Perfect Steak

Big George's BBQ
02-02-2020, 08:31 AM
Yesterday I asked my wife what she would like for her B Day dinner We talked about pork cheeks, burger and kielbasa. She told me "you decide" I went to a really good seafood store and picked you a few jumbo shrimp, my butcher and got a beautiful prime filet for her and rib eye for me I had them vac seal them I sous vide @ 137 for 1.5 hrs I also got some baby bellas to saute and 2 bake potatoes When it was time for dinner I seared both steaks in a really hot cast iron pan The result was "this is perfect" as she cut into the steak Seasoned with fresh pepper and kosher salt Perfect color, taste and tenderness It was way too much food for us so there will be left overs Sorry no pics

Jrogers84
02-02-2020, 08:36 AM
I buy full loins or rib eyes, slice, season and vac seal separate. Then they go right from the freezer to the bath for a easy weekday dinner. I don’t think it’s the best way to cook a steak but it produces a really good one every time!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShadowDriver
02-02-2020, 08:38 AM
Sure sounds amazing, George! Happy Belated Birthday to your lovely wife!

4ever3
02-02-2020, 08:46 AM
Happy birthday to your Mrs!!

Y’all are going to force me to buy a sous vide thingy...

Jennifer Miller
02-05-2020, 01:09 PM
That sounds incredible, it seems that everything went well!

Sous vide is a whole new experience, any time you need help with getting to know a lot more about this technique you can ask for help to these guys, https://gohaccp.com/?f=6 they have some really good knowledge about sous vide. :D

rwalters
02-05-2020, 01:20 PM
Sounds like a fantastic bday dinner! Well done :)

rwalters
02-05-2020, 01:24 PM
I buy full loins or rib eyes, slice, season and vac seal separate. Then they go right from the freezer to the bath for a easy weekday dinner. I don’t think it’s the best way to cook a steak but it produces a really good one every time!!

I bought a gently used Anova a couple years ago. Used it once and sold it. Just felt sooooo boring and I really didn’t know what I was doing. Admittedly, I gave up without even trying. Fast forward to present, and I am thinking I’d like to give the Sous Vide cooking style a try again. You mentioned that the steaks are really good, but not the best they could be. In your opinion, what is missing... what’s keeping them from being the best?

OneHump
02-05-2020, 01:35 PM
I can attest to this as well. Not only have I never received so many compliments for a steak, but I also agree that the best steak that I have ever had anywhere came out of my sous vide. I have a lot of top-end BBQ and grilling gear, and nothing comes close.

Joel Robuchon earned many Michelin stars cooking steak in a cast iron pan. Sous Vide takes it a step further.

For those of you who aren't familiar, sous vide heats the water to the target temperature of your meat. You can hold it for hours after the meat is done cooking as the internal temperature holds steady. You can then finish in a pan or on the grill. The meat is cooking thoroughly to the outside edge with minimal loss of moisture.

It's an amazing way to cook a steak, especially in winter, but there's always a place for fire. Check out Sous Vide Everything on YouTube for some cool ideas (I'm not affiliated).

thirdeye
02-05-2020, 01:36 PM
Yesterday I asked my wife what she would like for her B Day dinner We talked about pork cheeks, burger and kielbasa. She told me "you decide" I went to a really good seafood store and picked you a few jumbo shrimp, my butcher and got a beautiful prime filet for her and rib eye for me I had them vac seal them I sous vide @ 137 for 1.5 hrs I also got some baby bellas to saute and 2 bake potatoes When it was time for dinner I seared both steaks in a really hot cast iron pan The result was "this is perfect" as she cut into the steak Seasoned with fresh pepper and kosher salt Perfect color, taste and tenderness It was way too much food for us so there will be left overs Sorry no pics

So, what did you do with those shrimp? With a steak I enjoy a shrimp cocktail with reverse brine, and Remoulade sauce.

I'm with Bob on this one, can you elaborate on what you don't like about a sous vide steak?

Stingerhook
02-05-2020, 02:14 PM
Happy birthday to the bride George.

rwalters
02-05-2020, 02:43 PM
So, what did you do with those shrimp? With a steak I enjoy a shrimp cocktail with reverse brine, and Remoulade sauce.

I'm with Bob on this one, can you elaborate on what you don't like about a sous vide steak?

Bob?

Gimmethecash
02-05-2020, 03:20 PM
Bob may be referring to going straight from the freezer (though I’m only guessing and can’t speak for him) - some will say the texture is slightly affected vs. thawing in the fridge, but I do it all the time with frozen steaks if I’ve already vacuum-sealed them and I get great results every time. Normally I do buy fresh or thaw them first if I know I’m cooking ahead of time.

I prefer grilling over charcoal for the flavor, but sous vide + good sear is a very close second and easier & more consistent.

mike243
02-05-2020, 04:32 PM
I am still searching for a way to SV tough beef to make fork tender, not found it yet, wife said tastes like roast beef don't make her any more, reckon I will keep experimenting on me, still tough after 4 different times and temps.

Gimmethecash
02-05-2020, 06:03 PM
Which tough cuts are you working with, Mike? I sous vide chuck roast to make tender pulled beef, falls apart. Beef shank you can cut with the edge of your fork. Pretty much all the low ‘n slow rules apply (hard-working muscles with lots of fat & connective tissue, time
+ temp = tender, etc.)

Here are a couple pork roasts I’m working on - 2 hours of stick burner smoke, then into the water bath at 145* for 48-60 hours. I intend to try out my new flame thrower (weed burner) to sear them tomorrow before I pull.

ronbrad62
02-05-2020, 06:16 PM
Happy to hear that everything turned out great. Only trouble is, now you have to top it next year:thumb:. I'm sure you can come up with something.

mike243
02-05-2020, 06:50 PM
T-bone from UGO flavor is ok but tough ,once in awhile I will get some that's tender but not normally

Titch
02-05-2020, 07:47 PM
Happy Birthday to your wife George, sounds like you did great:thumb:

drunkenmeatfist
02-05-2020, 07:53 PM

Personally, I don't feel like the fat on a ribeye renders to my taste when I have done them sous vide. I really like the burnt pieces of fat off a grilled ribeye and when I sear them after a bath it doesn't get them where I want them. I do prefer sous vide for filet though.

cowgirl
02-05-2020, 08:35 PM
Happy Birthday to your Mrs., George!! Your meal sounds delicious!

Happy Hapgood
02-05-2020, 09:23 PM
Happy Birthday to you Lovely Bride George! Sous Vide is the only way I go with good or cheaper cuts of steak now. Yours sounds like it turned out perfectly.

Big George's BBQ
02-06-2020, 07:57 AM
When I sous vide I then sear in a very hot cast iron pan for us it works great Wayne I cheated on the shrimp They were already cooked at the seafood store We have had them from there before and they are really good What is a reverse brine and I would love the recipe of that sauce Are these on your blog

Dmakkk
02-06-2020, 08:43 AM
I love sous vide steak. Only way to cook it. A little carne crosta is awesome.