PDA

View Full Version : How long vacuum sealed pork shoulder good in fridge?

jasonjax
02-01-2020, 10:04 AM
Trying to decide if I need a day or two freeze before pulling pork shoulders back out to thaw.

Need to cook them next Friday night (6 days from now). Will be vacuum sealed in the fridge, but contemplating putting in the freezer for a couple days and pulling them out to thaw on maybe Tuesday or Wednesday.

Thoughts?

Stingerhook
02-01-2020, 11:35 AM
I think you should be fine today or tomorrow Jason.

North Is Up
02-01-2020, 07:42 PM
I suggest freezing them until Thursday morning. They'll be ready by Friday night.

jasonjax
02-01-2020, 07:59 PM
I suggest freezing them until Thursday morning. They'll be ready by Friday night.

A whole boston butt would never thaw in one day.

Happy Hapgood
02-01-2020, 11:53 PM
You can look it up but t I say over a year after reading the FoodSaver owner's manual. Some say 3 years due to no O2. I've done year later brisket slices with no problem but did not know how to bring them back properly then.

I really think you will be good.

mike243
02-02-2020, 05:23 AM
Whats the date on them? keeping them right at 32 will extend it some without freezing, hitting that mark in the main fridge will probably be hard to do depending on the fridge, I can tell you on a whirlpool sxs where the return vent is mid cabinet in the fresh food section will keep it right at that with normal settings but has to be very close to it

Robert
02-02-2020, 06:49 AM
Probably be OK since it's vacuum sealed, but I think I would freeze it. Take out on Thursday and bring pot of water to a boil and drop the bag in and simmer for 30 minutes. Hopefully your bag has a good seal and doesn't leak. I would think that will get you defrost going good enough to serve on Friday.
Had a guy tell me that did a lot of vending that he pulled his pork and vac sealed while the pork was still warm and froze. He said the bags were good to 275 degrees and he reheated the meat in the bags on his smoker at 250. Can't recall how long he said it took to reheat but he said the pork came out like it was freshly cooked.

Something to think about in the future.

Good luck with your event.

Robert

mike243
02-02-2020, 10:54 AM
My food saver bags will fall apart at that temp and probably closer to 225

Jennifer Miller
02-05-2020, 12:57 PM
I used to have the same kind of questions related to the proper freezing and thawing methods, and well I guess sometimes you need some extra help coming from experts, so I recommend you to get in contact with these guys that have years of experience with basic food safety rules, they helped me a lot with my business. https://gohaccp.com/?f=5

Welcome! :-D

effinUker
02-06-2020, 05:51 AM
Probably be OK since it's vacuum sealed, but I think I would freeze it. Take out on Thursday and bring pot of water to a boil and drop the bag in and simmer for 30 minutes.

You aren't suggesting he thaw an uncooked butt in a pot of boiling water, are you?

JDiddy
02-06-2020, 09:56 AM
Might be okay not freezing but I'd would freeze it and pull it back out Tuesday evening and put it back in the fridge until Friday.

Hotch
02-06-2020, 11:28 AM
5-7 days in the fridge will be fine if it is a whole, uncooked butt in the original cryovac with no leakage. Just know that most of the butts purchased at retailers arrive frozen from their distribution sources. The problem with holding longer is that most of the time you don't know the harvest date or how long it has set in the retailer's case thawing.
I've cooked dozens of butts that I had in my freezer for over 6+ months and they were all great product when cooked. My freezer temp runs from a -10 to +1 or 99% of the time.

Smoking Piney
02-06-2020, 06:29 PM
Trying to decide if I need a day or two freeze before pulling pork shoulders back out to thaw.

Need to cook them next Friday night (6 days from now). Will be vacuum sealed in the fridge, but contemplating putting in the freezer for a couple days and pulling them out to thaw on maybe Tuesday or Wednesday.

Thoughts?

Jason, just to be safe, I would freeze 'em.

Pull them from the freezer on Tuesday and set them in the fridge.

They will slow thaw and keep fine in the vac bags, ready to prep by Friday morning.

Robert
02-07-2020, 07:50 AM
You aren't suggesting he thaw an uncooked butt in a pot of boiling water, are you?

No, assuming he is cooking and holding. perhaps I mis-read.