PDA

View Full Version : Reheating intact pork butt

ruger35
01-31-2020, 08:35 PM
Smoked some meat last week, life happened with 2 sick kids and didn't get to pull the pork while hot/warm. Anyway, I decided to vacuum seal them whole. Wanted to take one out tomorrow for nachos/nacho fries for the game Sunday. Have any of you reheated an entire pork butt and then pulled it?

I was assuming just put some liquid in a pan and set the butt in it and cover with foil until it hits 150? Maybe have the oven at 250/275?

Side note, the Bark Builder pork rub from Dirty Dalmatian may be my new go to. Rubbed, sometimes add a little extra CBP, then season again and use the fat separator. Wife even mentioned she liked it.

Westx
01-31-2020, 11:26 PM
Your plan will work great. I would reheat at 225.

AUswimKC
02-01-2020, 05:35 AM
Several times I’ve wrapped it tight with foil with 1/2cup maybe a bit more apple juice in foil. 250-300 like you mentioned (because 200-225 takes forever)but took it up until 160. Then pull. Always came out amazing

Robert
02-01-2020, 05:39 AM
Put whole butt in foil pan with 2-3 cups chicken broth put into oven set at 300. Takes at least a couple of hours to get up to temp. Assuming you took the butt off at a pullable temp the first time, it should pull again once heated up.

Did you freeze the meat? If not, I would think that a week is stretching it on food safety.

Robert

TC Smoke & Que
02-01-2020, 06:00 AM
Vac-sealed and refrigerated should be ok after a week. I would heat at a higher heat 300 and some liquid in the pan. Cover with foil.
Should be good.

IamMadMan
02-01-2020, 07:26 AM
Your plan will work, but will take time to reheat to the center.

I would break apart into large muscle pieces and discard the bone. Position evenly in the pan with some reserved dripping liquids (or apple juice) and gently reheat to a safe serving temperature of 145 before pulling. Remember is is already cooked, you only have to reheat; further cooking could partially dry out some of the meat exposed to higher heat for extended periods of time.

SMOKE FREAK
02-01-2020, 08:16 AM
Since it's vac sealed I might just place it in a stock pot of boiling water. No fear of drying it out. No fear of overheating it. And no added flavors from apple juice.

But that's just me...

ruger35
02-01-2020, 09:52 AM
For those asking, it was/is frozen. Thanks for the help with different methods guys.

sjb67
02-01-2020, 06:28 PM
I vacuum pack and sousvide brisket and butts all the time. Works like a charm.

ruger35
02-01-2020, 07:17 PM
I vacuum pack and sousvide brisket and butts all the time. Works like a charm.

If ther wife saw a sous vide in the kitchen she would probably flip right now since I'm ordering the new smoker lol.

Hoss
02-01-2020, 09:40 PM
Drop the sealed package into a large pot of "simmering",not boiling, water.Heat it up.It will be fine.The method you have in mind will work too.Wrap it tight in foil and heat in the oven til IT hits 160-170f.When I cook butts,I cook several at once.I ALWAYS freeze the extras whole.In my opinion they produce a much better product than pulling,freezing and reheating.I keep several cooked ones in the freezer for occasions where I do not have the time to cook a few from scratch on my smoker.