PDA

View Full Version : The Worlds Best Popeyes Copycat Recipe

Radrob
01-26-2020, 02:07 PM
I know it's a bold statement but if you're not first, you're last!!!:mrgreen::mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=preBTh_B2hE&feature=youtu.be

Inthewoods
01-26-2020, 02:42 PM
I struggle with fried chicken and I rarely have the urge for it, but.....I'm giving that a shot! Chicken thighs going on the counter for thaw, thanks!

I'll likely add some HDD...and probably too much keeping my record of fried chicken failures flawless.

-D

CptKaos
01-26-2020, 04:10 PM
Judging by my last lunch from Popeyes the recipe must start with a cut up pigeon, way to small to be chicken

Larry

frankenfab
01-26-2020, 04:14 PM
Looks good, and I am sure it tastes good. Never had a problem making fried chicken, but I will give the method a try for sure.

I love Popeyes regular tenders, with Mardi-gras mustard. Their mac n cheese is pretty good, too!

Radrob
01-26-2020, 06:11 PM
Judging by my last lunch from Popeyes the recipe must start with a cut up pigeon, way to small to be chicken

Larry

YEP, some pieces are ridiculously small they should count as half a piece or a nugget. I've noticed different stores get chicken from different suppliers, I'm lucky my store has normal sized chicken.

Radrob
01-26-2020, 06:22 PM
Looks good, and I am sure it tastes good. Never had a problem making fried chicken, but I will give the method a try for sure.

I love Popeyes regular tenders, with Mardi-gras mustard. Their mac n cheese is pretty good, too!

This recipe is mostly about the crunchy crust technique and frying at the right temperature and I love that Mardi Gras mustard too, especially on hot tenders still steaming and juicy.

frankenfab
01-26-2020, 07:21 PM
Radrob, is that you on the YouTube video?

Radrob
01-26-2020, 07:45 PM
Yes, it's me. I'm learning as I go to do the Youtube thing.

Inthewoods
01-27-2020, 09:35 PM
I wasn't able ta let the chicken sit for 3 hours since I work during the week. Didn't have granulated garlic, didn't have msg...used garlic powder and poultry seasoning. It's cooling.
It looks killer!
I'll know here in a bit...I did add HDD, just a 1/4 tsp.

Thanks for the video! I walked about the grocery after work grabbing the stuff I didn't think I had...much ta the annoyance of many other shoppers I'm sure.

-D

rawcalls
01-27-2020, 09:48 PM
I wasn't able ta let the chicken sit for 3 hours since I work during the week. Didn't have granulated garlic, didn't have msg...used garlic powder and poultry seasoning. It's cooling.
It looks killer!
I'll know here in a bit...I did add HDD, just a 1/4 tsp.

Thanks for the video! I walked about the grocery after work grabbing the stuff I didn't think I had...much ta the annoyance of many other shoppers I'm sure.

-D

Ok, I'll ask. What is HDD?

Radrob
01-27-2020, 09:48 PM
The flavor profile can come later and everyone has they're own preferences but I want to know how was the crust? Once you nail the crust the rest is easy as long as you don't add too much seasoning to the final flour coat so it doesn't burn and get dark before the chicken is cooked.

Inthewoods
01-27-2020, 10:06 PM
Alright, that was damn good! Excellent crunch! I will let it sit and marinade next time, but it was really good.

HDD is habanero death dust from Oakridge...I'll add more next time.
It's very good, thanks again!

-D

Radrob
01-27-2020, 10:06 PM
Ok, I'll ask. What is HDD?

Oakridge, Habanero Death Dust.

Radrob
01-27-2020, 10:09 PM
Alright, that was damn good! Excellent crunch! I will let it sit and marinade next time, but it was really good.

HDD is habanero death dust from Oakridge...I'll add more next time.
It's very good, thanks again!

-D

Awesome!!

mytmouz
01-27-2020, 10:35 PM
Off topic somewhat... I worked at a prepared foods plant back in the day, and the test kitchen was working with Popeyes on a pre battered andflash fried top secret chicken test. As the maintenance guy, I fired up the equipment and ran it for them. At the end of the run, they took random pieces for testing, and told me I couldn't take any home, but I could have all I wanted to eat. I gave it a valiant effort, but I didnt make a noticable dent in 2000 pieces of assorted fried chicken parts...

Radrob
01-27-2020, 10:53 PM
LOL!! I can see 2000 might be a bit much but if you come to Lafayette you can eat all you want at the only Popeyes buffet. Mardi Gras is coming up and it's family friendly compared to New Orleans plus you can load up on all the sausage and boudin you want.

This isn't my video but he does a good job showing it off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtrH8SJ4tSo&t=2s

frankenfab
01-28-2020, 07:42 AM
LOL!! I can see 2000 might be a bit much but if you come to Lafayette you can eat all you want at the only Popeyes buffet. Mardi Gras is coming up and it's family friendly compared to New Orleans plus you can load up on all the sausage and boudin you want.

This isn't my video but he does a good job showing it off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtrH8SJ4tSo&t=2s

I have been to Fezzos and thought it was awesome! Also went to some store/meat market that is famous for their Boudain. Didn't care much for it at the time, but my tastes have changed. I did buy a bunch of gator meat to take home.

cholloway
01-28-2020, 09:23 AM
Do you think the club soda is their secret for the crunchy crust? I wonder
how another carbonated liquid would work... like Barq's. :idea:

Radrob
01-28-2020, 09:44 AM
I've experimented with 7-UP and Sprite but it makes the crust darker and if you fry too fast/hot the crust gets too dark before the meat is cooked due to the sugar. Give it a try, any carbonation will make a lighter batter.