PDA

View Full Version : Simple marinade for smoking chicken

jermoQ
01-24-2020, 08:01 PM
I want to give my smoked chicken on Sunday, more flavor and moisture without overdoing it. I don't have any game changer brine right now. My love gave me a "huh-uh gross" reaction to the Italian dressing idea. I was thinking Wickers marinade/baste or buttermilk. Anybody have ideas for easy and not fruity marinade that is good for a crowd? I am cooking leg quarters for 20 people.

sudsandswine
01-24-2020, 08:06 PM
Kosher salt :thumb: marinade won’t penetrate like salt will. I mix in some finely ground black pepper and rub the salt under and over the skin the day before when doing whole chicken. I’d probably do the same with leg quarters.

gtr
01-24-2020, 08:20 PM
Do you have Carolina Treet available? Great stuff - it's a mustard based marinade which is also great as a condiment sauce. Household favorite around here.

Dry brining is always great. Eye-talian dressing is really good. Careful with the Wicker's - it's good stuff, but it's vinegar based so 4-6 hours is good - more than that with any vinegar based marinade and the texture gets a little weird - don't ask me how I know this. :doh:

A good mojo recipe could do you right. Also I used to do leg quarters in a mayo & chipotle marinade and that was pretty fantastic - not sure where that recipe is right now, but I'm sure there are some good ones to be found online. I've never done buttermilk for grilling, but I'm sure it's great - sure does work for fried chicken!

I cooked a chicken or 2 every weekend for years just to have something in the fridge throughout the week - still not tired of it - lotta ways to go with chix!

Hoss
01-24-2020, 08:25 PM
Buttermilk and your favorite hot sauce.Use enough hot sauce to make the marinade pink in color.Soak overnight.Remove from marinade,rinse,pat dry,apply favorite chicken rub (I hit the quarters with a light spray of Pam prior to applying rub to make it stick) smoke till done to the temp you like.Perfection.Tip.I like to take them up to175-180f I.T. I sometimes brush/spray them with a thin sauce when they hit 165-170 I.T. and let them cook til the sauce sets.They get rave reviews.

pharp
01-24-2020, 10:44 PM
Cherry Coke.

Badjak
01-25-2020, 12:06 AM
Soy/fish sauce/garlic/chili....
Or mustard, thyme, vinegar (honey if you want a bit of sweetness)
Yoghurt and tandoori spices (I like mixing in some lime juice)
Piri piri chicken....

IamMadMan
01-25-2020, 04:29 PM
When I think of chicken, I remember eating Finger Lakes's BBQ chicken when I was younger living in Western New York state. This is listed as a Chicken BBQ Sauce but it is a marinade.

It is best to let the chicken soak in the marinade for at least 24 hours according to the label. It is best used when grilling chicken over hot charcoal, but it will also work well on a gas grill on high heat as well. Move the chicken back and fourth between direct and indirect heat to allow even cooking of the chicken. This produces a very and moist flavorful chicken with a very thin crispy skin.

This is a legendary delicious sauce that has its roots, according to some locals, to Cornell University. Many Volunteer Fire Departments use this for fund raising chicken barbecues. Used as a marinade and basting sauce, the chicken turns to a golden brown color as the flavor is infused by marinade drippings onto the hot flames. Chicken never tasted so good, and your neighbors will be led over to your patio or deck once the smoke aroma reaches their noses. One taste of this chicken would make even the Colonel lick his lips!

http://yates.cce.cornell.edu/resources/cornell-chicken-barbecue-sauce-and-safe-chicken-barbecues

blake
01-25-2020, 04:34 PM
Goya's Mojo Criollo is quick and easy for a crowd. Although it has blood orange, it doesn't taste fruity to me.

Cornell Chicken is another easy to make marinade.

emtnate
01-25-2020, 05:46 PM
Cornell Chicken is always a good choice. I often make a marinade from the typical roadside chicken recipes available. 1 lb butter, 1 cup white vinegar, 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Could replace part of the butter for oil as a marinade the add some melted butter back in for basting while grilling or smoking.

LYU370
01-25-2020, 06:17 PM
Cornell Chicken, but cut down on the salt from the original recipe.

food4thot
01-25-2020, 06:26 PM
Modified an oven baked chicken recipe I use to create a marinade for grilled chicken. Dijon mustard, dried tarragon, garlic (fresh minced or granulated), fresh lemon juice, and olive oil.

Bacchus2b
01-25-2020, 06:28 PM
One cup of Kosher Salt to One Gallon Water ratio for a basic brine that will impart moisture and flavor to your Chicken. Leave it in 2 gallon zip lock bags or in a five gallon bucket for volume cooks for a few hours or overnight. Just go easy on the salt when you rub it down before cooking. Not only is it moister, but it gives you a bigger window for error when cooking and holding.

jermoQ
01-25-2020, 11:58 PM
So I havent rubbed chicken with seasoning the day before to dry brine in a long while. Oakridge secret weapon (holy ham hocks it was tasty). Also used it on a pork butt I started this morning. Forgot the pulled pork pic and I took the chicken pic in a dark kitchen with the vent hood light on...it looked really good and was very tasty. Going to heat everything up again while we are at church and serve after. Thanks everybody for chiming in!

BuffaloDave
01-26-2020, 05:34 AM
I like to salt the day before, then apply a salt less rub & smoke. If I'm saucing them it's in the last 15 minutes after the skin has crisped up.

JohnH12
01-26-2020, 05:57 AM
Cherry Coke.

I've heard of several Cherry Coke recipes for the glaze.
Do you just cover the chicken with the Coke and refrigerate overnight?

Garyclaw
01-26-2020, 07:01 AM
Looks great, Jeremy!

Big George's BBQ
01-26-2020, 07:50 AM
If you like brines check out thirdeyes blog

Smoke Dawg
01-26-2020, 08:38 AM
This is my Go to marinade for chicken

http://www.biglots.com/images/large/14/810251830.jpg

cowgirl
01-26-2020, 08:59 AM
So I havent rubbed chicken with seasoning the day before to dry brine in a long while. Oakridge secret weapon (holy ham hocks it was tasty). Also used it on a pork butt I started this morning. Forgot the pulled pork pic and I took the chicken pic in a dark kitchen with the vent hood light on...it looked really good and was very tasty. Going to heat everything up again while we are at church and serve after. Thanks everybody for chiming in!

Looks fantastic Jeremy!

ChrisBarb
01-26-2020, 09:28 AM
We like Chiavetta's: https://www.chiavettascatering.com/shop-products/chiavettas-bbq-marinade-6pack-yxrz4

thirdeye
01-26-2020, 10:48 AM
My love gave me a "huh-uh gross" reaction to the Italian dressing idea.

Maybe you shouldn't have mentioned the Italian dressing until after a few bites. :mrgreen: I like it because it's got vinegar, oil, garlic and other herbs, but sometimes I'll add a squirt of Head Country Marinade to the Italian marinade.

If you have a near empty jar of dill pickles, a dill pickle brine is pretty good for chicken, especially smaller pieces like drumettes or chicken tender strips. Add some, pepper and a little olive oil so the pickle juice will coat better. Start with a couple of hours brine time and adjust to your liking.. Oh, and if you like this you can buy just pickle juice (they sell it to folks that have leg cramps) at some stores.