PDA

View Full Version : Sad, sad day...

pjtexas1
01-17-2020, 11:26 PM
I was in HEB looking for wagyu brisket. None. That's not the saddest part.

Turns out they had just thrown out 600LBS of wagyu brisket.[emoji26] They failed to check the dates and store policy required them to be discarded. It took me a moment to compose myself. I asked if they could take my number and keep it handy if this ever happened again and I would buy them at a discount. He just laughed and said they normally grind them up and sell as regular hamburger meat when they get close to the expiration date. No marked down wagyu briskets...I hope y'all understand if I'm not my normal chipper self for a few days. [emoji35]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Crakaveli
01-18-2020, 04:44 AM
sad indeed

4ever3
01-18-2020, 05:17 AM
Peace to you...

ronbrad62
01-18-2020, 06:30 AM
I thought you may have at least tried dumpster diving to see if any could be salvaged. Too bad they had to toss them.

Sammy_Shuford
01-18-2020, 07:29 AM
Ouch, That hurts

TC Smoke & Que
01-18-2020, 07:51 AM
That has to be one of the saddest things I have ever hear.
Have they No RESPECT??????

ModelMaker
01-18-2020, 08:00 AM
So when they grind into burger how do they figure fat content since it is so fat concentrated?
Ed

Mikhail
01-18-2020, 08:14 AM
60/40?

electron_si
01-18-2020, 08:18 AM
This is a real tough situation. Keep your head up man, it will get better

Big George's BBQ
01-18-2020, 08:18 AM
I bet that does not happen too often

pjtexas1
01-18-2020, 08:52 AM
I thought you may have at least tried dumpster diving to see if any could be salvaged. Too bad they had to toss them.I was so shocked that I couldn't think straight. Never occurred to me. Shameful...

Sid Post
01-18-2020, 09:00 AM
I go round and round with my sister over issues like this.

Best by dates are not when a product is unsafe to eat! Best buy dates assume the purchaser takes it home and doesn't use it for some period of time. After that period of time plus the 'best buy' date, the taste and or texture quality starts to decline. This in and of itself does not make it unsafe to eat. And no, a jar of pickles opened three days ago sitting in the fridge has not gone bad; it might pick up some odors from other stuff in the fridge but, it won't make you sick.

Meat is similar but, thanks to litigation and people who don't use safe food handling and cooking practices, things like this happen. Ever been to a meat market in Asia or Africa? What do they think happened before the days of refrigeration (ever wonder what drove the 'spice trade' in Europe in the days of sail)?

No I'm not advocating your cook that slimy random piece of meat lost in the back of the fridge last month but, don't panic if the best buy date is today or tomorrow!

Happy Hapgood
01-18-2020, 07:43 PM
Sorry for your loss. I know what it means to you. :tsk:

kevinstaggs
01-18-2020, 08:51 PM
Thats just a shame.

sudsandswine
01-18-2020, 09:14 PM
I feel bad when I waste a little bit of meat...that’s just a travesty. Probably happens more than you’d think too. I remember hearing that the Kansas City health department stepped in after the American Royal and stopped allowing donations of leftovers from the Royal to homeless shelters and that sort of thing. World class BBQ, into the trash. On one hand I can somewhat get the angle they’re coming from, but on the other they’re probably scrounging through the trash anyway and eating things truly risky.

Hoss
01-18-2020, 09:53 PM
Sad,sad,sad.I understand though.What is tossing a bit of out of date,etc.,meat to a multimillion dollar lawsuit?The $$$$ paid to lawyers to defend the case would much more than oughtweigh the cost of the meat.It is a sad state of affairs where good meat is tossed instead of feeding people that could use it.Oh well,that is the society we live in today.Too many worthless lawyers and politicians.On the other hand.We have the SAFEST food supply chain in the WORLD.

BGEChicago
01-18-2020, 10:05 PM
Not to bring down the humor but would't you think a great large grocer like HEB would have a "give back program" where they would grind (as mentioned above) and give away for to needy family's? I'm not a "green" person but all the resources that were used to produce those briskets really add insult to injury... just my $0.02

Thanks,
Greg

Bob C Cue
01-18-2020, 10:05 PM
You can afford Wagyu beef?

pjtexas1
01-18-2020, 10:45 PM
You can afford Wagyu beef?It's "American" wagyu so $5.99 a pound. [emoji14]

Sid Post
01-19-2020, 08:13 AM
Sad,sad,sad.I understand though.What is tossing a bit of out of date,etc.,meat to a multimillion dollar lawsuit?The $$$$ paid to lawyers to defend the case would much more than oughtweigh the cost of the meat.It is a sad state of affairs where good meat is tossed instead of feeding people that could use it.Oh well,that is the society we live in today.Too many worthless lawyers and politicians.
:thumb:

On the other hand.We have the SAFEST food supply chain in the WORLD.

While the United States food supply is generally safe, based on my time in Germany and the Netherlands, I'd have to say the EU is even better than ours. This, coming from someone who grew up in agriculture and ranching (not just a hobbyist with some potted plants), earned the American Farmer degree in the FFA while in the Engineering program at college, and other related things.

Today, I'd certainly be strongly tempted to go to the Dutch Agriculture college. The Europeans in general, and Dutch specifically, are advancing agriculture like no one else in today's world and they are doing it safely unlike some of the Asian and Pacific Rim nations.

16Adams
01-19-2020, 08:23 AM
Time out:
Harry Soo has a YouTube how to turn a Wal-Mart Select into award winning brisket. When not hull deep in catfish Mr Smitty Jones has been preaching the Wal-Mart Select process a long while. Smitty is right. Tight lines

Time In

Sid Post
01-19-2020, 08:26 AM
You can afford Wagyu beef?

It's "American" wagyu so $5.99 a pound. [emoji14]

American Wagyu is good stuff but, so are pasture raised classic British breeds. American Wagyu, Certified Angus/Hereford, and F1 crosses (Angus/Hereford) from a grass pasture environment are all delicious and priced similarly! Wagyu is really a marketing buzzword today just like CAB was and still is to a certain degree. Personally, I'd be thrilled with any of these on my plate! :icon_smile_tongue:

In restaurants, I'd be really cautious about spending big money on 'Wagyu' just like I would with more expensive fish entrees. Like EVOO (olive oil), Wagyu is often a different piece of meat and, most fish in restaurants are really Tilapia though it really doesn't matter much in a heavily sauced or spiced entree IMHO; it's just false advertising and deception. :mad2: