PDA

View Full Version : Boudin Help

countryrocker212
01-02-2020, 01:26 PM
I made a batch of boudin which I’ve never made before and the recipe called for adding all of the cooking liquid at the end and now it’s the consistency of oatmeal. Does it thicken up once it cools or should more rice be added? I’m not stuffing it just leaving loose. Thanks!

Swine Spectator
01-02-2020, 03:46 PM
I have been making sausage for nearly 20 years. IMHO, Boudin is the hardest sausage to make correctly. The rice absorbs liquid and seasoning right up until is doesn't.

I posted a tutorial once I thought I had it figured out:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165226

countryrocker212
01-02-2020, 04:26 PM
Ingredients are very similar the main thing I notice is my recipe used 1 cup of rice to 3 ½ pounds of pork. Your texture is very different from mine.

chingador
01-02-2020, 04:33 PM
even the people who know how to make it have a hard time with consistency. It is really difficult. Most of us are better off just buying it. I would order some online. You can order from best stop in Scott, LA. It is really popular:

https://www.beststopinscott.com/product-category/boudin/

My favorite boudain for the grill is DJ's from Beaumont. The consistency and moisture is consistently perfect in my opinion. That might be personal preference however.

http://www.djsboudain.com/original-boudain-case-10-16oz-pkgs.aspx

Dustin Dorsey
01-03-2020, 01:00 PM
I've made it a few times. I've usually wound up with it slightly too dry. I chalked this up to not enough fat but it may be the water content. Last time I got my hands on some actual pork liver (I've just subbed chicken liver usually) and it turned out great (still slightly dry).

Thanks for that link, Swine Spectator. I'll be giving that recipe a shot next time I take a stab at it.

mchar69
01-03-2020, 02:58 PM
Like chingador, I get it from Best Stop in Scott, but even then I squeeze water out it when I make patties. I've tried making it a bunch, but it never comes out as good.
Maybe add some more rice, OP, oatmeal is too mushy.

countryrocker212
01-03-2020, 03:21 PM
I added more rice last night hopefully it thickened up overnight. Next time I will purchase it already made for sure.

charles00
01-03-2020, 04:04 PM
I have an uncle that used to travel down to Louisiana every other week for work and he would always stop by Best Stop for boudin and andouille to bring back. When he retired I went looking for a copycat recipe so I could make my own. This is what I found.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/best-stop-boudin-3046026

I divided everything by 6 so I could make about 12 lbs at a time. I put most of it in casings and only fry up what doesn't fit into the casings or is left in the bottom of the stuffer. It's pretty close to the original if I do say so myself.

countryrocker212
01-03-2020, 07:10 PM
Just got home from work and I think it is a lot better. What is the consistency supposed to be? Right now with it being cold the only way I can think of to describe it is like corn beef hash out of a can. It’s definitely able to be rolled into balls or fried in a skillet.

mchar69
01-03-2020, 07:33 PM
Just got home from work and I think it is a lot better. What is the consistency supposed to be? Right now with it being cold the only way I can think of to describe it is like corn beef hash out of a can. It’s definitely able to be rolled into balls or fried in a skillet.LISTEN TO ME. GET one big handful of Boudin per person, squeeze out the moisture.
Get a large non stick frying pan, you are cooking both in the same pan.
Heat up one edge of the pan, throw in butter, and after it is hot, throw your Boudin on the hot side.
Mix 3 eggs with S+P alot in a small cup. WAIT. For the Boudin.
Throw your eggs on the cooler side (or whole other pan, eggs in butter)
when the eggs start setting, dump Parmesan cheese in there, mix them but do NOT LET THEM SET,
NEVER LET THEM SET... moist eggs are the way to go.
Boudin and buttered, cheesy, creamy eggs is so awesome.

Donald Link's "Cheesy Eggs and Boudin" recipe is what I based this on.
In "Real Cajun" his awesome cookbook.
I make this all the time.

Swine Spectator
01-03-2020, 08:58 PM
I've made it a few times. I've usually wound up with it slightly too dry. I chalked this up to not enough fat but it may be the water content. Last time I got my hands on some actual pork liver (I've just subbed chicken liver usually) and it turned out great (still slightly dry).

Thanks for that link, Swine Spectator. I'll be giving that recipe a shot next time I take a stab at it.

Be sure to use medium grain rice (e.g. Water Maid), it DOES make a difference.

David
Swine Spectator