PDA

View Full Version : Brisket Prices??

Oldbob
06-03-2007, 09:25 AM
I was In the Local Kroger's yesterday...in the case was Brisket.They were labeled "Whole Brisket" they were about 4-5 pound average...must have been trimmed flats. Price was $4.44/lb. Also had a label on them "Great on the Grill".I have also seen the flats at Wally World here for that same Price. What goes with Brisket here in Indiana? And that "Great on the Grill" label is a bit misleading too:biggrin: I would think that after a couple hours on the grill,You would need a chain saw to serve that Sucker !!:biggrin: :eek:

Lakeside Smoker
06-03-2007, 09:46 AM
Great on the grill!

Now THATS funny!
Some poor sap is going to buy that brisket flat, toss it on the grill, cook it to medium rare, eat it, and then say..."brisket sucks!"

Mike

tumpedover
06-03-2007, 09:52 AM
I think a better question would be....what's up with the meat cutter/manager in that store??? What's he been smokin'?

D.F. Expat
06-03-2007, 09:58 AM
Man that price sucks arse, i just did an 11.xx lb brisket from sams and it cost me 17 bucks and some change, right around 1.50 or so per lb.

tumpedover
06-03-2007, 10:00 AM
Man that price sucks arse, i just did an 11.xx lb brisket from sams and it cost me 17 bucks and some change, right around 1.50 or so per lb.

$1.43 here at the HEB...can get it cheaper if I look around a bit...

Oldbob
06-03-2007, 10:06 AM
I think a better question would be....what's up with the meat cutter/manager in that store??? What's he been smokin'?

Good question John:biggrin: :biggrin: I might have to check on that:biggrin: :biggrin:

vr6Cop
06-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Yeah, they've been selling the little ones as whole packers at my local Kroger also. I'll be getting my Father's Day brisket from Sam's.

QansasjayhawQ
06-03-2007, 12:53 PM
I was In the Local Kroger's yesterday...in the case was Brisket.They were labeled "Whole Brisket" they were about 4-5 pound average...must have been trimmed flats. Price was $4.44/lb. Also had a label on them "Great on the Grill".I have also seen the flats at Wally World here for that same Price. What goes with Brisket here in Indiana? And that "Great on the Grill" label is a bit misleading too:biggrin: I would think that after a couple hours on the grill,You would need a chain saw to serve that Sucker !!:biggrin: :eek:

Yeah - you're right - the LAST place I'd cook any kind of brisket would be on the grill!

What happened here in my town is that the grocers started trying to find a way to make even more of a profit than they already were on meats. My neighborhood Hy-Vee no longer has whole, untrimmed briskets available on the shelf. Now they only have pre-packaged, CO2-packed, highly trimmed small flats . . . for $4.49/LB last I looked.

I asked the meat guy that was on duty what the deal was and he was quick to offer that they would be happy to order whole untrimmed briskets for me . . . and the price? Only $1.89/LB

So, I guess the moral of my story is, if you see something that's looking funky, then be sure to talk to the folks who are running the place.

smokebuzz
06-03-2007, 01:22 PM
Wally has them for 1.68# on whole packers here. Been going to post about them, they are brown/gray on the side, i thought they may have been cut by a water jet, they cook up fine just don't look real good until you get to cooken them.

QansasjayhawQ
06-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Wally has them for 1.68# on whole packers here. Been going to post about them, they are brown/gray on the side, i thought they may have been cut by a water jet, they cook up fine just don't look real good until you get to cooken them.

(You wouldn't be from Iowa, would you?)

It's amazing to me how a second-class citizen cut of beef like a brisket suddenly becomes almost as expensive as a T-bone or KC strip . . .

Leeper
06-03-2007, 03:15 PM
$1.38lb on sale for cryo full packers at the cash and carry in Portland. Have a 14lber on right now.

Bossmanbbq
06-03-2007, 03:18 PM

Sounds like its time to switch over to Chuck Rolls:wink: I actually prefer this to Brisket most the time. Little easier to make and taste just as good if not better.

The_Kapn
06-03-2007, 03:25 PM
I have a case (6) of gorgeous CAB packers in the aging frig.
11-13 lbs each and they are proportioned almost perfect.
Due out of aging frig to the freezer (4) and a comp (2) on the 15th of June.

$1.97 a lb.

I "feel your pain" if you are faced with $3 and up Brisket--that is criminal :twisted:

TIM

qman
06-03-2007, 05:00 PM

My local Publix supermarket had a big display of 2 to 3 pound brisket flats yesterday. $4.69 per pound:eek: . The how-to-cook label clearly says "pan sear and BRAISE in liquid 2-3 hours.

Each package sported a large red label "Great for the Grill":roll:

About price--at $4.69 brisket is still about 1/3 the price of strip or ribeye around here.

ZILLA
06-03-2007, 05:03 PM
The price here is still around $1.78 lb for select. I'm looking for some at $1.40 or so.

qman
06-03-2007, 05:06 PM
The price here is still around $1.78 lb for select. I'm looking for some at $1.40 or so.

I was talking supermarket prices. I think I can get whole packers still from Sam's for well under $2 per pound.

bbqjoe
06-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Kinda reminds me of the time a friend of mine bought a corned beef brisket.
He cooked it on the grill, said it was tough as hell.
The he sliced it up and fried it. Says it was even tougher.
Then he just threw it in the trash.
He almost died when I told him they need to be boiled.
BOT:
I pay$1.61 lb for brisket, delivered.
Has not changed in price over a year and a half.

qman
06-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Kinda reminds me of the time a friend of mine bought a corned beef brisket.
He cooked it on the grill, said it was tough as hell.
The he sliced it up and fried it. Says it was even tougher.
Then he just threw it in the trash.
He almost died when I told him they need to be boiled.
BOT:
I pay$1.61 lb for brisket, delivered.
Has not changed in price over a year and a half.

Don't you just love it.

Dang, Joe you don't pay that much less than us "average joes"8-)

ique
06-03-2007, 05:35 PM
I get cases of packer CAB briskets for ~$1.40 - $1.60/lb. at my local Restaurant Depot.