PDA

View Full Version : I Can't Recommend MEATER Block

Seed
12-30-2019, 01:44 PM
I purchased a MEATER block about 6 months ago. From the beginning this thing was junk. At first 2 of the probes kept falling offline and the app keeps having to reconnect. False offline notifications spammed me constantly and then probe 2 became permanently disconnected and I couldn't get it to reconnect at all. The block was 4 to 5 feet from the Traeger. I worked with support and they sent me a new probe set after sending the original unit back. This was their response:

"On your original Block you definitely had a couple of probes with a bad signal, which would explain why they would drop connection, especially probe 3. I am still doing a couple of other tests, but the good news is that all the probes I sent out with your new Block are good. "

Now I have the "better" probes and it's even worse. 3 of the 4 don't stay connected.

Now MEATER says it's my fault because it's the steel in the Traeger. The Block is 5 feet from the Traeger and in my opinion should work just fine. I also put my phone into the Traeger and put some ear buds on over bluetooth and got 3x the range well past where the block is. So if it's my fault why to other bluetooth technologies work just fine? Why do some probes work and 5 minutes later they fall offline? If it's a signal issue it should not even connect or drop right away.

After 6 months trying to use this thing it has never worked right and now I have to pay $50 bucks in a restocking fee. This company's product is garbage and I recommend NOT getting one. I was going to say to wait until they sort out their connection issues to get one but considering the **** customer support I recommend avoiding them all together and waiting for another company to come along that will have a better wireless product.

BBQ Guru, I'm sorry for leaving you. Please take me back.

drunkenmeatfist
12-30-2019, 01:49 PM
You put your phone in the cooker? What temp did you pull it at? Wrap?

Stlsportster
12-30-2019, 01:51 PM
1. FireBoard
2. Meater is a cheater.

Smokin D@wg@77
12-30-2019, 01:55 PM
Thanks for heads up !

mcyork28
12-30-2019, 02:32 PM
Email them a link to this review.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

funugy
12-30-2019, 04:02 PM
I love my meater. I use it on my 26" Weber Kettle when I rotisserie chickens, and in my UDS whenever cooking something thick enough to stick the probes into. I like the fact they are wireless and I can monitor my cook even if I have to run to the store for more beer.

I haven't had to call customer service, so I don't have an opinion on that.

I keep my meater block within a foot of my cookers and face the block (screen) towards the cooker. I do get occasional probe disconnect notifications, but not enough to worry about. I found that I get much better probe connectivity when place like this.

I do recommend the meater block and am thinking of buying one for my brother.

stepheneleven
12-30-2019, 04:15 PM
1. FireBoard
2. Meater is a cheater.

:clap:

ssv3
12-30-2019, 04:54 PM
Same here. I've used it in my kettle with no issues either. I also leave it close to the kettle and monitor on my phone.

I love my meater. I use it on my 26" Weber Kettle when I rotisserie chickens, and in my UDS whenever cooking something thick enough to stick the probes into. I like the fact they are wireless and I can monitor my cook even if I have to run to the store for more beer.

I haven't had to call customer service, so I don't have an opinion on that.

I keep my meater block within a foot of my cookers and face the block (screen) towards the cooker. I do get occasional probe disconnect notifications, but not enough to worry about. I found that I get much better probe connectivity when place like this.

I do recommend the meater block and am thinking of buying one for my brother.

ssv3
12-30-2019, 05:04 PM
Actually it even worked in my pig cooker

https://i.imgur.com/cLyMuKah.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/WZLN0Wdh.jpg

smoke ninja
12-30-2019, 05:44 PM
Yea, you gotta keep the block close. Flaw or not your experiencing operator error

gtr
12-30-2019, 05:56 PM
Actually it even worked in my pig cooker

https://i.imgur.com/cLyMuKah.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/WZLN0Wdh.jpg

Time out! Hold the farkin phone!

Pig cooker? Is this new? Did I miss a thread? Yow!

...sorry...back to our regular scheduled program...:oops:

frankenfab
12-30-2019, 06:22 PM

Yeah. That was my immediate reaction as well. I make stuff out of metal for a living, and that is one awesome looking cooker.

LYU370
12-30-2019, 06:24 PM
Has anyone heard from our Chinese friend recently? Just wondering.

SmokerKing
12-30-2019, 07:19 PM
not on my buy list

ssv3
12-30-2019, 09:04 PM
Like Ninja says, it's got shortcomings (distance) but you put it close enough you won't have issues. At least I don't. I wasn't expecting half as much when I pledged for the Meater project but I commend them for actually pulling it off. I mean we're talking about a freaking wireless thermometer. Only will get better down the road.

ssv3
12-30-2019, 09:13 PM
Sorry for the Hijack OP.

Fellas,

I've had this since October 2018. It's my PigRig :becky: All stainless steel with a heavy duty spit and motor from Titan Outdoors. They're relatively a new company but I only paid $700 including shipping to my door. The stainless is thin but not flimsy at all and hasn't warped, comes with an enameled charcoal pan and heavy duty locking casters. Only flaw (which I knew before buying was that it was top heavy but about $40 worth of fire bricks took care of that problem plus gained thermal mass. :clap2:

Here's a detailed link

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266069

And the bricks

https://i.imgur.com/sxhs475h.jpg

Yeah. That was my immediate reaction as well. I make stuff out of metal for a living, and that is one awesome looking cooker.

Back to regular programming. :redface:

ssv3
12-30-2019, 09:16 PM
Has anyone heard from our Chinese friend recently? Just wondering.

Since meater wasn't actually a cheater he quit. He swore up and down their idea would never work coming from an engineer's point of view. Well, they proved him and a lot of people wrong. Shortcomings yes but it does work and they fulfilled every pledge. That's impressive in my books compared to other Kickstarter projects.

Jbowie
12-30-2019, 09:45 PM
I agree, Meater ain't gonna play more than a foot from your cooker. If you can work with that you will love it. I cook on WSM, I have a bus cart that I roll up close to smoker. I have cooked briskets without ay lost connwection. Beware the rain if your cooking area is wide open like mine. I have a small plastic toolbox attached to the tray and can put block under lock and key with no loss of connection. I live in an apartment complex of 160 units so electronic toys have been known to disappear. Like my MEATER>

Demosthenes9
12-31-2019, 04:23 AM
I could easily be wrong about this, but I'd think that both sides of the wall might be interfering with your signal. Not sure what, if any electronics are sitting right there that might also be a problem. Have you tried just setting the block up on a chair in front of the door to see how it does ?

effinUker
12-31-2019, 05:57 AM
I could easily be wrong about this, but I'd think that both sides of the wall might be interfering with your signal. Not sure what, if any electronics are sitting right there that might also be a problem. Have you tried just setting the block up on a chair in front of the door to see how it does ?

I was thinking the same thing. The wires in the wall for those two switches between the Meater & the door can't be helping either.

Not discounting the OP's experience, but there may be more causing the issue than he thinks.

Demosthenes9
12-31-2019, 10:49 PM
I was thinking the same thing. The wires in the wall for those two switches between the Meater & the door can't be helping either.

Not discounting the OP's experience, but there may be more causing the issue than he thinks.

Yep. That and we don't know if the gang boxes for the outlets and switches are metal or plastic. Could very well be all kinds of interference going on there. Or, like he says, his Meater setup bites. :sad:

Happy Hapgood
12-31-2019, 11:20 PM
Just looking in from the outdoor and I don't have a dog in this hunt but looks like the OP said it was a Trager. That solidstate board, IR and flame rod in there along with the motor are enough to interfere with and BT signal. Maybe everytime the rig refeeds, reignites augers the problem occurs. This problem could/can be traced.

Try it on a regular grill from scratch and go from there.

Just my .02 and Good Luck!

SmoothBoarBBQ
01-01-2020, 02:08 AM
I've had 3 Meater probes for well over a year and they all still work great. I bought the BLOCK for my buddy for his birthday a few months ago and he loves it...still uses it every week as he hosts a lot.

As others mentioned I'd be willing to wager that OP putting the Block inside the house right up against an exterior wall likely is causing signal interference. I always kept my phones (used instead of a Block) just a few feet away from the smoker and I never had any problems.

Meater has definitely proven that this technology can work, but I think that too many people just don't understand the limitations of BlueTooth. I do think that WyzeTemp has taken a much more constructive solution to the inherent issues with BlueTooth, but who knows if they'll ever actually come to market with their product.