PDA

View Full Version : Pork loin cook and package

Home Farm BBQ
12-18-2019, 12:28 PM
Cooking pork loins for my friends family Christmas this week. Im cooking the pork loin to 140. Rest and then need to package for them to enjoy a week later. Ill be out of state for that week visiting family.

My plan was to let it rest to cool and get up to 145 once taken off. I was asked if I could slice it which isnt a big deal to me. Just trying to have the best finished product for them. They could always slice it later to avoid using juices if needed.

What are suggestions for this scenario? Packaging and best reheating methods for them? Slice or no slice?

They will have oven, roasters, or I can give them sternos with equipment for serving once heated back up.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

legendaryhog
12-18-2019, 01:59 PM
If you have a slicer and a vacuum sealer you could slice lunch meat out of it once it is cooled and seal it up. It makes pretty awesome sandos.

toymaster
12-18-2019, 02:01 PM
Slices dry out faster when reheating. I would reheat whole and then slice.

thirdeye
12-18-2019, 04:19 PM
My plan would be to: Inject them at least 4 hours before smoking, and during the 2.5 hours or so on the pit I'd mix an ice water slurry in a cooler. You can add rock salt if you want it super cold. At 140 I would remove and rest until they drop about 10. Next, double wrap in foil with some apple juice and put them into the 2.5 gallon zipper bags. Submerge the zipper bags in the slurry. Your goal is to get them below 40 as fast as you can. Once they are thoroughly chilled, remove from the zipper bags and freeze.

For reheating, your friends need to move them into the fridge 48 hours to slow thaw. They can take the foil pouches (on a sheet tray with the seam up) and put them in a 250 oven and heat until the internal is 125 or 130. Let them do the slicing, it doesn't get any easier.

Home Farm BBQ
12-18-2019, 09:46 PM
My plan would be to: Inject them at least 4 hours before smoking, and during the 2.5 hours or so on the pit I'd mix an ice water slurry in a cooler. You can add rock salt if you want it super cold. At 140 I would remove and rest until they drop about 10. Next, double wrap in foil with some apple juice and put them into the 2.5 gallon zipper bags. Submerge the zipper bags in the slurry. Your goal is to get them below 40 as fast as you can. Once they are thoroughly chilled, remove from the zipper bags and freeze.

For reheating, your friends need to move them into the fridge 48 hours to slow thaw. They can take the foil pouches (on a sheet tray with the seam up) and put them in a 250 oven and heat until the internal is 125 or 130. Let them do the slicing, it doesn't get any easier.

This is the type of idea I was looking for. I agree as said above the whole loin is the way to go for the juices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big George's BBQ
12-19-2019, 09:59 AM
I would do what Thirdeye suggest but I would Vac Seal them Then after the fridge thaw you can put the sealed bag in boiling water or to a sous vide bath to reheat I presliced it will reheat faster

mchar69
12-19-2019, 08:16 PM
I would only cook them to 134-6 then pull, let them come up to 140.
I hate overcooked pork.