PDA

View Full Version : grill grates for the win

smoke ninja
12-16-2019, 08:12 AM
I got mine about a year ago. I dont use them often on the kettle but they do provide a boost to a gas or pellet grills performance. the kettle just does a great job at searing and I am familiar with it. when cooking a full grill of food the kettle can get unruly. I always like to keep at least a third of the real estate as a safe zone, no coals. often a full kettle becomes a fireball as you turn the meat and get out of hand quickly. also managing the natural temperature variance of a charcoal fire with all that going on can be trouble.

so last night th Ms wanted steak for her birthday. we ended up with ten guests. there was no way I could use my traditional methods. the steaks weren't super thick, I could have got them to temp on the pit boss amd did a quick kettle sear but I went with the grill grates on the kettle.

spread a layer of coals and let the temp come up about 650 (infrared measured on the surface of the grate) amd loaded that bad boy up with sirloin and ny strips. no fire ball, just good cooking. a bit of rotating and everything came out as desired, even the 2 med well steaks.

having the right tool for the job always helps. I would never have been comfortable cooking that many steaks on a kettle without my grill grates.

sorry I only snagged one blurry pic but i can tell you dinner was a hit

SmokerKing
12-16-2019, 08:29 AM
That's the best feature of the GG IMO. A good deflector that keeps the flare ups from burning your fatty proteins.

LordRiffenstein
12-16-2019, 08:49 AM
I've thought about buying some but with the different cookers I have, I'm not sure what size to buy. Do I get them for my Weber GA or the kettle? Or maybe bigger version to use on the Yoder or smaller version for the mini kamado? Ugh.

smoke ninja
12-16-2019, 09:29 AM
I've thought about buying some but with the different cookers I have, I'm not sure what size to buy. Do I get them for my Weber GA or the kettle? Or maybe bigger version to use on the Yoder or smaller version for the mini kamado? Ugh.

I have the set designed for the kettle. it comes in 3 pieces, i normally only use 2 sections. i can take one or two sections and use them with my my pellet grill or i take them all to my moms to boost their barely capable gasser.

on the website you can mix and match pieces or get sets cut to fit. just find one that will fit a few of your cookers. a section big enough for the wga would also be practical on a kettle, probably big for the kamodo.

I prefer the sear I can get with a kettle or kamado without the grates, filling up an entire grill is the exception. I would recommend getting them for whatever cooker you wish had more horsepower

Big George's BBQ
12-16-2019, 10:38 AM
I like my grill grate I use them a lot on the gasser They bare really nice to flip over and cook like a flat top

jgame
12-17-2019, 08:16 AM
I have 3 for my 22" weber kettle. They work real good.

rwalters
12-17-2019, 09:00 AM
Nice! I have GG’s for my 26 kettle and use them a ton :)

jasonjax
12-17-2019, 03:00 PM
GG are a fine addition to just any about high-heat grilling. They turn a pellet cooker into a true grilling machine. And between the flare-up control and the built-in flat top cooking on the flat side are a versatile tool.

Pretty much a requirement for competition cooking in the Steak Cookoff Association also.

Bubblehead
12-21-2019, 09:40 AM
I use two of the generic 13.75 GG's so I can move them between cookers.

Porcine Perfection
01-01-2020, 06:25 PM
I invested in GG rather than spend $$ on a high end gasser. Works great. Granted all I do on a gasser is steaks and a trip tip now and then.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mikhail
01-01-2020, 06:58 PM
I have a set that are fit to the PK but they work equally well on my gas grill. I love them, except when cleaning time comes along.

guero_gordo
01-01-2020, 07:26 PM
That's the best feature of the GG IMO. A good deflector that keeps the flare ups from burning your fatty proteins.

Gettin' awful personal there, big fella ;-)