PDA

View Full Version : I'm on the Hook for Seasoning, AND Searing the Tenderloin

mchar69
12-13-2019, 09:16 PM
but not cooking it. SHE will finish it in the oven.
ANY GOOD IDEAS???

Hoss
12-13-2019, 09:21 PM
Salt it and sear it.That's it.Let it rest for about 15 minutes,put whatever seasoning on it you and your family like.Let her roast it.Salt is the ONLY seasoning that will not burn on a high heat sear.Good luck and the better it turns out,the luckier you will get/be,,well,you get the idea!:thumb: Caveat- if she overlooks it,it will be your fault.Make sure she pulls it out of the oven before it is too late.Cook to internal temperature,not xxx minutes as her Pinterest recipe calls for.

blake
12-13-2019, 10:55 PM
pork? I like pepper jelly or fruit jelly for a glaze.
Beef? I like fresh garlic after the sear.

luke duke
12-14-2019, 10:18 AM
If it were me, I would tell her that I'm either doing all of it or none of it.

mchar69
12-14-2019, 09:10 PM
I'm with you Luke, I have no idea how I got stuck with this job,
lots of cooks I guess I'm one of the Indians.
Tomorrow is the day.
I am going to dry sear it - can't decide between my Genesis Silver or the Performer.
I am leaning Performer, except the grates are so nice on the gasser.
Wish I had a flat cast iron thing, more Maillard perhaps.

mchar69
12-14-2019, 09:49 PM
And If I had my way, I would reverse sear these 2 beef tenderloins.
They were about $140 each. I am biting my tongue. Yet I know the person cooking this is wrong. It wouldn't be so bad, but I also paid for them.
It's hard to take. They won't be bad, but they won't be wow either.
They will be the same grey edged tenderloin you see at Golf Course buffets all your life.

The reverse sear gives you edge to edge pink and more Maillard. Men like that stuff.

mchar69
12-14-2019, 10:13 PM
So instead of just yelling, I would tell people to put these 2, 6 pound tenderloins in the oven (UDS, etc, which can hold these temps) at about 220 for 4 hours or so, pull them at internal 118 degrees or so, then blast the exterior on a HIGH HEAT grill till all sides are brown. No rest needed w/ this technique!
If you think about it, it is a very easy method EXCEPT it ties up an oven (or UDS) for many hours. Try it with one Ribeye steak. Put the steak away from the coals, lid on, until 118, pull it onto a plate. Open the air vents to increase heat,

(I then use a blow dryer to help the temp in the Weber go up like crazy) then I splash that Ribeye on ultra high heat, flip when nice and brown,
one more side to brown up.. best steak out there. Pink to Pink, edge to edge.

mchar69
12-14-2019, 10:15 PM
I'd take this....
ok next...

mchar69
12-14-2019, 10:16 PM
https://i.imgur.com/tcgbV6nl.jpg

Hoss
12-14-2019, 10:25 PM
O.K. my friend.Whatever pleases you.I will assure you that the high heat sear(salt only),rest,season and roast method works equally as well as a reverse sear.Good luck.

mchar69
12-14-2019, 11:36 PM
O.K. my friend.Whatever pleases you.I will assure you that the high heat sear(salt only),rest,season and roast method works equally as well as a reverse sear.Good luck.
I am hoping you are right. Salt only for the sear gotcha.
Then I am going to hit it with Q-salt, maybe some extra pepper. Then the Oven.

Meathead's Secretariat horseradish sauce and my friend's Gorgonzolo cheese sauce as dipping sauces.
I am really failing at pics coulda as I took these out of the cryo to check and trim more properly... then into 2 gal ziplocks. Not sure I can get pics tomorow, time line extreme..

I will try.

mchar69
12-14-2019, 11:40 PM
We should mention to anyone trying this - the outside of the meat needs to be dry before searing, otherwise you are braising.., so dry it with paper towels. We are looking for dark exterior of this piece of meat, max Maillard.
Some keep cuts inside the fridge uncovered so they dry out. So the outside dries - for a day, same with chicken you want to fry....
or turkey you want a crisp skin
THINK: Pellicle

mchar69
12-15-2019, 07:27 PM
Well...... it turns out we served one hour later than planned... not good.

Flavor was great on the meat, I salted it a tiny bit last night, (that osmosis thing)

then hit it good with Kosher salt today. After the sear I hit it w/ Q salt. (which has pepper and other things in there)

Problem is, how do you serve this piece one hour after the plan?
Turned out OK, people liked the party, my wife's 50th,
the 'she' was a caterer and her timing was so far off because the guests came so late.
I cannot blame her in the least. Everyone liked it, (so they said). Even I ate it :)