PDA

View Full Version : butts in my smoker

grillfella
06-01-2007, 01:35 AM
Hey boys, I am a novice at smoking butts in my offset barrel smoker. I have made one in my weber one touch, and it came out decent. I want to know how long I need to cook 3 butts in my smoker, any injection or special rub to use, and also what is the best wood to put in the firebox.Thanks for any help:-D

big brother smoke
06-01-2007, 01:59 AM
Depends on the size of your butts in terms of cooking time. Check the recipes section for rubs and injection/search our archives for rubs and injections. Wood = whatever you normally use, no need to buy something else, unless you want to try something new. I see you use mesquite. I use a combo of oak, hickory and cherry for butts, but that is just me!

AlabamaGrillBillies
06-01-2007, 05:17 AM
three butts in a small offset, I'd figure on 1.5hrs per pound average weight. That is if you have a 7lb, 8lb, and 9lb butt, the average weight is 8lbs 1.5hrs per pound would turn out to 12hrs. But, they are done when they are done, cook till they hit 195, wrap in foil and let sit in a cooler for 1hr. Pull and serve.

Brauma
06-01-2007, 05:29 AM
I foil at internal 165, then kick the 'Dera temp up to 250 using briqs/lump (no need to waste any good wood at this point - the meat is wrapped) to drive it over the sticking point and take the butts internal to 190. Cooler it. The internal will continue to rise to 195 or 200 in the cooler. Then when it cools to 165 again, its time to bust it up.

To each his own. Butts normally take me 10 - 11 hours start to finish. If I start at 7AM, they're ready for din din at 6PM.

bowhnter
06-01-2007, 06:35 AM
You are probably looking at 12-14 hrs, keep in mind one could be done a couple hrs before another one.
I have never foiled until I take em off at 195 and cooler for an hr or 2, so not sure if foiling earlier will affect the bark or not.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
06-01-2007, 06:41 AM
Foiling them at 160 speeds up the cook. It also softens the bark somewhat although, once it is pulled, I haven't noticed all that much difference cooking for the home crowd. It might make a difference in competition?

The_Kapn
06-01-2007, 06:44 AM
What temp (at the grates) do you plan to use.
Times mean nothing without a temp.

TIM

AlabamaGrillBillies
06-01-2007, 08:21 AM
What temp (at the grates) do you plan to use.
Times mean noting without a temp.

TIM

Agreed, my time estimates were for a 225-250 grate temp range.

Arlin_MacRae
06-01-2007, 08:59 AM
Grillfella, you'll need to rotate the butts if you're using an offset barrel smoker - if you didn't know that already... Unless it's a LARGE unit and you can cook the three far away from the fire box. I'd quickly spray or mop every hour too.
I just about always cook butts at 220° - 225° and foil at 165° or so until it hits 195°. That takes me around an hour and a quarter per pound, usually. If you figure 1 1/2 hrs/lb you'll be safe. A foiled and coolered butt will retain a ton of heat for a long time if you finish early.

Good luck!

Bigdog
06-01-2007, 09:04 AM
A foiled and coolered butt will retain a ton of heat for a long time if you finish early.

Good luck!

And finishing early is a good thing. That way you don't get stressed when it hits the stall temp. for a long time.

KC_Bobby
06-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Yeah, when your butt sticks somewhere near 160 for what seems like an eternity - no worries. That's normal, something to do with the meat fibers starting to break down. Some one with a better understanding can probably explain better - a lot better.

grillfella
06-01-2007, 10:41 PM
Thanks boys will do:grin: