PDA

View Full Version : Pellet Flame-Out with Brisket On

jerryalan
12-06-2019, 09:21 AM
So I put on a brisket last night and wrapped it up before I went to bed but I forgot to refill the pellet hopper. This morning I woke up and saw the brisket had dropped to about 140-145 internal because I ran out of pellets (dummy me didn't set the MIN/MAX alarm on the grate probe because I got complacent with my pellet smoker). The brisket is now in my oven at 250 cooking but is it safe to eat? I assume if I bring it up to around 203 I will have killed anything off that might have started but wanted to check with you folks and see what you think.

JWFokker
12-06-2019, 09:38 AM
Yes. Bacteria will die in the 140s/150s given enough time. 160F for food safety is not a hard rule, it's just the point at which most microbes die in less than a minute.

JWFokker
12-06-2019, 09:38 AM
You're also finishing it which will fully sterilize it if it is not sterile already.

jerryalan
12-06-2019, 09:43 AM
You're also finishing it which will fully sterilize it if it is not sterile already.

Thanks! That's what I was thinking too but I'm never 100% sure. I got e-coli when I was a kid from under-cooked school lunch burgers so I've always been a little edgy with stuff like this.

Now to see if it's going to be amazingly textured brisket, or chili meat :-)