PDA

View Full Version : SCA Grills

pasquale388
12-05-2019, 05:47 AM
So with last week being Black Friday. I bought myself a M Grill C4s and a Humphrey Searing station. Due to the bad weather up here in the northeast Monday and Tuesday my plans to cook on my new grills tonight are out of the question. To be determined on delivery day now. 😫. Really want to be practing to be the best I can. Ugg hate the waiting game.

SmokerKing
12-05-2019, 06:11 AM
Good luck practicing. As a SCA judge, it's not so much about the grill as it is the rub(s).
I overheard the founder of the SCA say that a guy won in Australia by using a shovel and a fire pit. Heated up the shovel and grilled the steak on it. He ended up winning.

pasquale388
12-05-2019, 09:11 AM
That is sick

Good luck practicing. As a SCA judge, it's not so much about the grill as it is the rub(s).
I overheard the founder of the SCA say that a guy won in Australia by using a shovel and a fire pit. Heated up the shovel and grilled the steak on it. He ended up winning.

Ron_L
12-05-2019, 03:11 PM
I am thinking about a smaller grill for travel and the C4 is my leading candidate. I am interested in your thoughts on the C4 vs. Humphrey once you get them and have a chance to use them.

pasquale388
12-05-2019, 06:24 PM
I will let you know Ron. I have always been true to humphreys because I cook on the smokers they sell. For me this will be the true test for me to compare two Grill basically the same just size and add ons. I already have a PK but I am really hoping to figure out what one will work best with me

I am thinking about a smaller grill for travel and the C4 is my leading candidate. I am interested in your thoughts on the C4 vs. Humphrey once you get them and have a chance to use them.

JackBBQ
12-05-2019, 08:24 PM
deleted

SmokerKing
12-05-2019, 08:41 PM
SCA is very interesting. I'm also a judge, and a wannabe competitor.

However, I've been very turned off by the "standard profile" of SCA steaks. In order to win, as confirmed by Malcom Reed, a somewhat regular SCA winner, cooks have to apply way too much salt, MSG, and other flavors to get that (dreaded) "one bite impression".

That "one bite impression" is sick and disgusting as an entire meal. As are the KCBS "taste profiles" for BBQ.

As always, meat cooked for home consumption is much better than SCA or KCBS "flavor profiles".

Damnit, don't give it away! I'm thinking about competing too!

I've done 3 or 4 comps now, and I've tasted maybe 3 steaks that passed my desired taste profile and got top points.

These competitors layer way too many rubs on the steak, each has salt. Almost every steak I've judged is wayyy tooo salty!

And I agree, my steaks I grill at home are killer compared to the comp steaks IMO.

Hoss
12-05-2019, 10:00 PM
All I know is that a very popular cook,that many people follow on YouTube,said that the steak he won most of his SCA comps was disgusting to him and his wife.Almost inedible to them.Wayy salty and heavy soy and rub based.I was looking forward to SCA comps,sounded fun,until I read reviews.I am not going to ruin a steak in search of some bragging rights.I like what I cook and my guests do too.That is good enough for me.