PDA

View Full Version : First time Smoking a Blade (Chuck) Roast, wrap or not?

Debmar
11-22-2019, 07:12 PM
Going to be smoking a small (just over 2 lbs) Blade Roast (my research indicates that it is a form of Chuck although in my area there is no such thing as a chuck roast) sunday on my uds. Not exactly sure if I will be pulling it or slicing but it will be in the temp range that I could pull it so targeting just below or just over 200 degrees but will be probing to decide when done and not strictly going by temp.

I think I am wanting to try and let it ride and not wrap it. Tried researching online and it seems most people wrap. Is it a mistake to not wrap it? I am wanting a get a crisp crust on this roast and I am thinking if I wrap its going to lose that crispness. I don't have any butcher paper so it would be foil if wrapping.

Thought I would ask here for your thoughts before going the no wrap route just in case its a mistake to go that route. I was thinking of going 250 ish for pit temp. How long should I anticipate it taking to get it to the 200 ish range?

thanks for the help

BuffettFan
11-22-2019, 07:26 PM
Personally, I prefer to wrap in foil.
I also inject with low sodium beef stock before smoking, spritz while smoking and add some broth to the wrap.
The bark may suffer a little, but the tenderness pays off in my opinion.

Biloxidman
11-22-2019, 09:23 PM
I almost never wrap in foil but always put it in a Dutch oven with veggies to speed up the cook. Did one last Sunday in 3 hours. Smoked for about an hour to a temp of 165 then into the Dutch oven with taters, onions, bell peppers and 2 small cans of beef broth to use to make gravy. Probed tender at 212 then sliced just like a brisket.