PDA

View Full Version : Is the Old Country Pecos that Bad?

Raider18
11-19-2019, 03:42 PM
I've been smoking for close to a decade and have owned a UDS, Pellet Grill, electric smoker and a kamado. Each had their pros and cons, but I have sold them all to get something new. I had my mind set on a quality stick burner as I think they have the best flavor profile, but the more I think about it I just don't think I have the time to use it often to justify the cost (I'm cheap).

My original budget was $1,500 to $2,000 but I'm starting to think my best option would be to get a WSM, mod it the way I would like it and get an Old Country Pecos (or possibly Wrangler) to satisfy my stick burner itch when I have time.

Would anyone suggest this for a smoker that may get used 6 times a year?

Sid Post
11-19-2019, 04:14 PM
A gently used WSM is $100 so, I'd get a better stick burner first and shop Craigslist, Letgo, etc. for a cheap WSM.

Rockinar
11-19-2019, 04:23 PM
Gator Pit 1845

JC67
11-19-2019, 05:01 PM
I have had an Old Country Pecos for about a year and love it. It seems to hit the sweet spot of cost vs. quality. It requires a bit more attention to detail to maintain temperatures in the 250-300 degree range than the pits with thicker metal. But it will not run wild or leak like the bolt together pits. I do not regret the purchase at all and had it dialed in within 2 or 3 cooks. My only mod was to take the firebox grate and use it as a baffle plate in the cook chamber. The fire is now built on the floor of the fire box.

The only downside I have found is the size. It has room to cook one brisket or two pork butt. If more food is needed you will be cooking in the hot spot on the fire box side.

NC Native
11-19-2019, 06:56 PM
I have a Wrangler for that purpose, no complaints. Don't expect to feed an army, cooks for small groups (10-15) just fine.

Hinds15
11-19-2019, 07:26 PM
If you're still sticking to the area of your original budget why not get a old country brazos and a WSM off of facebook market place or offerup? 18 wsm or 22?

Raider18
11-19-2019, 08:29 PM
If you're still sticking to the area of your original budget why not get a old country brazos and a WSM off of facebook market place or offerup? 18 wsm or 22?

When it comes to cookers I prefer new or buy from someone I know because you never know what crazy thing the previous owner may have done. I figured $439 for 22.5 WSM for large cooks and when I don’t have time to babysit and $400 for Pecos for when I want to play with fire and only cooking one brisket or butt. I would save some cash and still get two quality cookers.

Kaptain Kadian
11-19-2019, 08:36 PM
I had a Pecos for a while and sold it. In my opinion, you have to run it with very small length logs to keep from having large temp swings. I didn't want to invest in a chop saw and have to deal with sourcing wood, so I sold it. My ocd could not handle the temp swings as well. I have a wife and 2 little kids and couldn't dedicate that kind of time to feeding sticks every 20 minutes.

SmittyJonz
11-19-2019, 09:15 PM
Pecos ain’t Bad........

holdenf92
11-19-2019, 10:35 PM
The fact that it's welded will help some with smoke leaks but my Brazos leaked out of the lid really bad, so it's just one of those things. The welds and door fittings are kinda spotty on those old country products. Unfortunately the thin metal combined with the fact that the fire is inherently closer to the meat means your Temps will be hard to control, unless you use very small pieces of wood. But that means feeding your fire constantly or your coal bed will go out. Great bbq can be made on the Pecos or any thin walled smoker it's just going to be a constant fight and you have to be willing to deal with it.

Sid Post
11-19-2019, 10:50 PM
Matts or JJ in the Austin area make a few pits within your cost constraints that would be good step up from Pecos FWIW.

Workhorse pits sure look nice but, shipping will probably put them out of your target price range.

Raider18
11-20-2019, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the input. The more I think about the amount of time I have to cook I'm going to go with the WSM and maybe a Pecos down the road.

Q_Done_Right
11-20-2019, 08:58 PM
I have both an 18” WSM and the Pecos (no mods). I use the Pecos about 95% of the time and there is NO comparison to the quality of barbecue it puts out against my WSM. I can cook a 15 pound brisket, rack of beef plate ribs, rack of St. Louis style spares and even a half chicken or pork belly strips on it all at once! I’ve figured out how to maximize the space and hot/cool spots depending upon what I’m cooking and fire management isn’t a problem...I routinely burn 6”-12” splits and know when to utilize them depending upon the temps I want, quality of coal bed, weather conditions, etc. You can check out my Instagram account to see what I’ve posted on there...most of the barbecue came off my Pecos: @thesmokybird

Sid Post
11-21-2019, 06:38 AM
Thanks for the input. The more I think about the amount of time I have to cook I'm going to go with the WSM and maybe a Pecos down the road.

That's the point most 'new' people overlook. Time for a stick burner is a different thing versus time for a WSM, IVC, etc.

In terms of buying new because "you never know what someone else did" is a bit of hogwash if you ask me. When you can buy a cooked in once WSM for ~$100, is the other $300 really well spent for peace of mind?

I'm not saying to buy some rusty WSM, or one found at the side of the road but, if the 'paint' is pristine and it smells like BBQ, what's the fear? If you are still in doubt, heat it up good and let fire 'purge' any of the perceived nasties and then clean it well.

However, if an extra ~$300 lets you sleep well at night .... :wink:

Raider18
11-21-2019, 07:52 AM
That's the point most 'new' people overlook. Time for a stick burner is a different thing versus time for a WSM, IVC, etc.

In terms of buying new because "you never know what someone else did" is a bit of hogwash if you ask me. When you can buy a cooked in once WSM for ~$100, is the other $300 really well spent for peace of mind?

I'm not saying to buy some rusty WSM, or one found at the side of the road but, if the 'paint' is pristine and it smells like BBQ, what's the fear? If you are still in doubt, heat it up good and let fire 'purge' any of the perceived nasties and then clean it well.

However, if an extra ~$300 lets you sleep well at night .... :wink:

MY 7 daughter year old just beat cancer and I'm paranoid about EVERYTHING now as chemo and radiation make her susceptible to other types. $300 is well worth peace of mind. Plus in Texas those type of deals do not come by often. Cheapest 22.5 I've ever come across is $200.

JVM59
11-21-2019, 11:25 AM
MY 7 daughter year old just beat cancer and I'm paranoid about EVERYTHING now as chemo and radiation make her susceptible to other types. $300 is well worth peace of mind. Plus in Texas those type of deals do not come by often. Cheapest 22.5 I've ever come across is $200.

Thanksgiving is going to take on a whole new meaning for you next Thursday.
God Bless your daughter.

KevinInStL
11-21-2019, 12:06 PM

Cheers to your daughter beating cancer. :clap2: I can't imagine the stress it must have been for your family, but I'm glad to hear she's in the clear.

FYI, you may want to avoid high-heat searing for her foods, particularly red meat https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10485479

I can identify with being highly cautious about your food preparation and storage. My wife and I recently moved out of a house we were in for 8 years after discovering that all these mysterious health problems that we couldn't fix or find a source for were due to a hidden mold problem in the basement.
I had been using my dad's old maroon Weber kettle that I grew up watching him cook on. The really cool red finish from probably the late 70s or early 80s with the fade on the lid that turns darker in color as it heats up. I used to store it in the basement of our mold house (next to what turned out to be the moldy wall that was the source of all our problems) in the winter. I made the hard decision to throw out & replace that Weber, plus our bed, couch, all porous furniture, and any of our utensils, cooking tools, and food containers that weren't glass or metal. We also had to soak all our clothes in Borax before wearing them again, as well as wipe down all our other stuff from the old house with disinfectant wipes.

I agree; it's definitely not worth skimping to save a few dollars or a bit of time when your loved ones' health, or your own piece of mind about their health, is at stake. :thumb:

Raider18
11-21-2019, 01:31 PM
Cheers to your daughter beating cancer. :clap2: I can't imagine the stress it must have been for your family, but I'm glad to hear she's in the clear.

FYI, you may want to avoid high-heat searing for her foods, particularly red meat https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10485479

I can identify with being highly cautious about your food preparation and storage. My wife and I recently moved out of a house we were in for 8 years after discovering that all these mysterious health problems that we couldn't fix or find a source for were due to a hidden mold problem in the basement.
I had been using my dad's old maroon Weber kettle that I grew up watching him cook on. The really cool red finish from probably the late 70s or early 80s with the fade on the lid that turns darker in color as it heats up. I used to store it in the basement of our mold house (next to what turned out to be the moldy wall that was the source of all our problems) in the winter. I made the hard decision to throw out & replace that Weber, plus our bed, couch, all porous furniture, and any of our utensils, cooking tools, and food containers that weren't glass or metal. We also had to soak all our clothes in Borax before wearing them again, as well as wipe down all our other stuff from the old house with disinfectant wipes.

I agree; it's definitely not worth skimping to save a few dollars or a bit of time when your loved ones' health, or your own piece of mind about their health, is at stake. :thumb:

One of her oncologists is a BBQ fanatic as well and we discussed this. I feel more safe with wood/lump fires and red meat than any unknown chemical. I know I won't be able to protect her from every possible scenario, but I do what is in my control while trying to find the right balance between be cautious yet letting her live a fun life that she fought/fighting so hard for.

JWFokker
11-21-2019, 01:44 PM
Old Country smokers are probably the best value in the offset smoker market. Better quality than Oklahoma Joe but still reasonably priced.

Sid Post
11-21-2019, 02:55 PM

That puts things in a whole different context. I hope she is doing exceptionally well and wish you all the best.

Unfortunately, my extended family knows cancer all too well and we haven't had a good outcome. In fact, my mother recently passed (late 2018) with a form of brain cancer and, my father preceded her with Leukemia.

McDaddys
11-21-2019, 10:29 PM
I have a Pecos coming to me for Christmas this year (already purchased, I just do not get it until then, thanks to my beautiful bride). I chose it over a OKJ because of thickness and primarily the grates. I liked the aspect that they slide out and are heavier built. The reviews I read about it have also been more on the positive side.

If you want a review from me about it you will have to wait until January.