PDA

View Full Version : Aahhhh, the power of CHEESE...

creek bottom
11-18-2019, 01:29 PM
I spent Saturday smoking a bunch of cheese, roughly 75 pounds total. 6 lbs. each Domestic and imported Danish Blue, a few pounds of garlic, 18 lbs. Gouda, 11 lbs. New York Sharp, 15 lbs Ghost Pepper Cheddar, 10 lbs. Jalapeno Pepper Jack, and 6 lbs. Swiss. Started at 7:30 AM and finished around 8:30 PM. I forgot to take any pics of the Ghost Pepper when it was finished. That was my last batch and I had it all bagged up before I realized I forgot. I was tired (plus I had a few beers in me by then :biggrin1:). Anyway, long day but it was fun and I have a bunch of happy friends... Thanks for looking!!!

Titch
11-18-2019, 01:36 PM
That should keep you going for a few weeks:thumb:

SonnyE
11-18-2019, 01:38 PM
Looks GREAT, Joe!
I love to smoke cheeses. (I cold smoke in one of 2 Masterbuilt's I've modified for all sorts of cold-warm smoking.)

And it's the right time of the year to get-r-done.

Enjoy! :mrgreen:

jermoQ
11-18-2019, 01:39 PM
I just...can't...look away....That looks really delicious! Thanks for sharing. I love blue cheese and Have never had it smoked. The ghost pepper cheese sounds great!

creek bottom
11-18-2019, 01:49 PM
I just...can't...look away....That looks really delicious! Thanks for sharing. I love blue cheese and Have never had it smoked. The ghost pepper cheese sounds great!
The Blue cheese is absolutely AMAZING! I actually got the idea off of a cooking show and it left me a little skeptical. I decided to give it a try because I love blue cheese. HOME RUN!!!! It's awesome!

BillN
11-18-2019, 02:10 PM
Sweet... I am due to smoke another batch of cheese since I'm on my last package.

Tbro
11-18-2019, 02:40 PM
Awesome, hope you don’t get bound up.

blazinfire
11-18-2019, 03:21 PM
As someone with a cold smoking unit and a masterbuilt.. with plans doing cheese.. is the pipe really necessary? I'm assuming the smoking unit gets to hot for the cheese with it beside the smoker?? Had plans of just doing it without the separation tube but haven't tried it yet so I'm sure you know lol

creek bottom
11-18-2019, 03:39 PM
As someone with a cold smoking unit and a masterbuilt.. with plans doing cheese.. is the pipe really necessary? I'm assuming the smoking unit gets to hot for the cheese with it beside the smoker?? Had plans of just doing it without the separation tube but haven't tried it yet so I'm sure you know lol
I used to use a soldering iron inside a hole in the side of a small pipe and put wood chips inside the pipe to generate smoke. This would heat up enough to make the cheese droop. I had done some research on this very subject before I tried it. The side unit does generate enough heat that it will raise the temp inside the cabinet substantially. Enough that it would definitely melt the cheese unless the outside temp was really low. This was a method that I came upon and it works really well...

robertm
11-18-2019, 05:40 PM
Super cool. Love the dedication to the art! What type of wood chips did you use?

Willy2763
11-18-2019, 08:12 PM
That looks amazing! I'm about to smoke some little gouda blocks with apple dust.

Smoke on Badger Mountain
11-18-2019, 08:49 PM
My mailing address is.......

creek bottom
11-19-2019, 06:41 AM
Super cool. Love the dedication to the art! What type of wood chips did you use?
I use hickory and each batch gets 3 hours of smoke...

SmokinAussie
11-19-2019, 05:25 PM
That would keep me going for a day or so!

SonnyE
11-19-2019, 05:37 PM
The Blue cheese is absolutely AMAZING! I actually got the idea off of a cooking show and it left me a little skeptical. I decided to give it a try because I love blue cheese. HOME RUN!!!! It's awesome!

Try smoking some bricks of Cream Cheese, too.
Just open the foil and Git-R-Done. Mighty tasty on some crackers!

Smoking Piney
11-19-2019, 06:23 PM
That's a lot of cheese.....and it looks great! :-D

Smoked Bleu Cheese? I'm in to try it. :-D

I need to plan some cheese smokes soon now that it's cold.

SweetHeatBBQnSC
11-20-2019, 01:23 PM
Looks amazing and I LOVE smoked Gouda...will definitely plan to try this when it gets cold enough around these parts.

creek bottom
11-20-2019, 01:37 PM
Try smoking some bricks of Cream Cheese, too.
Just open the foil and Git-R-Done. Mighty tasty on some crackers!
I never thought of creme cheese. Makes total sense though... I'll bet that would be delicious. Have to give that a try my next go around... Thanks.

cowgirl
11-20-2019, 03:17 PM
Looks delicious Joe!
I need to get busy and smoke some. :grin: