PDA

View Full Version : What Sous Vide for a beginner?

BuffettFan
11-15-2019, 11:36 AM
I've been contemplating this for a while and celrodtx's Turkey Porchetta kinda pushed me over the edge.
Looking at the Amazons, I see a lot of options.
What am I looking for?
I like my Inkbird thermometers and the fact the Ken's Sous Vide is Bluetooth, but I have a question.
Does my phone need to stay within BT range the entire time with a BT enabled cooker?
Anova is a name I've seen on this forum multiple times, is this a better option? Another brand?
What wattage should I look for?
I see the majority of the cooks being small, just for my wife and I, but may occasionally need to cook up a big batch of something.

Edjumacate me please!

Jrogers84
11-15-2019, 11:43 AM
I have a small anova and love it. I recently purchased the inkbird as a backup but havnt had a chance to use it. Judging by the rest of their stuff im sure itll be great. Wen it comes to wifi/bt i dont really see the need. I never use the BT function on my anova. You walk over, hit a button and come back when your done. Pretty simple

celrodtx
11-15-2019, 11:45 AM
Glad I gave you a push! I have used an Anova for the last three years and love it. The only issue I have ever had with it is the steam at high temps messes it up. This is easily solved, but be aware of it though.

BBQ_MAFIA
11-15-2019, 11:50 AM
I can't tell you which one is better but I will tell you I love my Anova.
The results are incredible.

sudsandswine
11-15-2019, 12:22 PM
I have one of the older 800w bluetooth only Anova's, I've used it quite a bit for years and it's been 100% reliable. I bought one of the Inkbird's recently and used it once, it did what it was supposed to do but having only used it once, I don't have the inherent confidence in it that I do the Anova...that has nothing to do with Inkbird other than I've used the Anova many dozens of times and the Inkbird just one.

dward51
11-15-2019, 01:11 PM
I have both the bluetooth Anova and their Anova Nano. I love them both, but the bluetooth model (larger of the 2) is my goto unit. I got the Nano on the pre-production special order for a deep discount and it was a might as well purchase. I find I use it mostly in the travel trailer where size is an issue in storage.

Whatever model you decide on, look at the volume of water it is designed to heat. That dictates how much food you can handle. I will say the Anova units are spot on with holding a set temp and I would buy one again if mine failed in the future. Also unless you just have to get a unit with WiFi, the bluetooth only Anova is less expensive and can sometimes be found on even deeper discounts. They both cook the same, and I have never found the need to even use the bluetooth function on mine. I just set it and come back at the desired time.

Stlsportster
11-15-2019, 01:21 PM
New ink bird sousvide is great. I got in on the 50% Brethren discount. It’s wifi. I can monitor while I’m gone from the house.

Worked great. Wouldn’t hesitate to recommend.

Kaptain Kadian
11-15-2019, 01:51 PM
New ink bird sousvide is great. I got in on the 50% Brethren discount. It’s wifi. I can monitor while I’m gone from the house.

Worked great. Wouldn’t hesitate to recommend.I did the same thing and I really like it. The inkbird seems to heat up the water faster and it is whisper silent.

Gimmethecash
11-15-2019, 02:26 PM
What are you guys monitoring? I use a Sous Vide Supreme and find it to be very “fire and forget”.

jimstocks53
11-15-2019, 02:51 PM
The wifi and bluetooth functions are primarily for set up and any mid cook changes. The units do not usually require that the phone stay in constant contact to maintain the setting. Personally, I set mine manually when I start and only touch it again when I turn it off.

Titch
11-15-2019, 03:01 PM
Perfect place to ask a question

I use an Anova reasonably often ,just a bluetooth model and very happy with it.
Had it for a few years now and bought a few for presents when on special.
Simple to set up and use
sometimes we get power outages for seconds.
does the WiFi units reset themselves and continue cooking, my Anova does not.
I can understand the reasoning behind it, food safety I guess.
cant compare it to Inkbird as I have not seen one

Huskres
11-15-2019, 04:41 PM
Clearance Walmart one for 13 bucks. Me and several people I know use them quite a bit with zero issues.

Happy Hapgood
11-15-2019, 07:43 PM
I did this review on the Ink Bird Sous Vide:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275794

If you can access your home network remotely you can work it from anywhere. Also I been doing steaks. WOW!

Check out this vid and site:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dee5FwKOnkM

This guy will make you a Pro in no time!

Good Luck and Enjoy!

TravelingJ
11-15-2019, 09:21 PM
Another anova user here. I've picked up a few other brands over the years when I needed a second one for major cooks. #2 is usually whatever is cheapest and I find it too loud and after a single use it gets returned. A coworker bought the Anova Nano and says he prefers it over the full size version.

Mine might have bluetooth, or wifi, I forget. I've never once thought that I needed that feature.

sliding_billy
11-16-2019, 04:26 AM
Here's my Amazon review of the Inkbird. Besides the fact that it is an inexpensive unit and works well, you can't beat the customer service that comes with Oksana being a regular on the site. Also, considering some of the stuff he has thrown our way I would be very hesitant to give my business to anyone else with a comparable product.
I already have an 1100 watt immersion circulator that does well for me, but has to be put in a very large pot to keep from bottoming out where this one can clip onto a slightly smaller pot without touching the bottom. It's those little things that make a difference especially in the amount of water you are heating and moving or the size of the pot you are moving around and cleaning. Despite the power difference, preheat time was similar with the same amount of water. The preheat is not documented or controllable, but your time does not start until you hit the programmed temp. The one glaring miss in my opinion is that it does not shut off when your programmed time expires. It just sits on 1 minute indefinitely (it does not drop into seconds at the end of course either). The biggest thing I noticed was how quiet this device was. The water is moving albeit slower than I am used to, but the fact that I can barely hear it is a huge advantage. As for the app, it does what I expect it to. I like that it is WiFi instead of Bluetooth since I am not subject to distance to unit issues. Making it part of a smart home app is ridiculous, but once I got it sent up it is not something I plan on thinking about again. I have no interest in using app recipes, so others can discuss their usefulness and how using them impacts the app itself. Plus, it is easy enough to control manually from the device itself and without the app. This is a solid cooker and well worth the price.

Dweverett
11-16-2019, 06:15 AM
America’s Test Kitchen did a comparison of a number of them. I have the Anova and like the Physical controls but in practice, I’m not sure that it matters much. There isn’t a lot of active management you do with these during the cook.

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/videos/4049-sous-vide-circulators

WBDubya
11-16-2019, 07:02 AM
@KenInk will there be more discounts for the Brethren in the near future?

AUswimKC
11-16-2019, 07:20 AM
@KenInk will there be more discounts for the Brethren in the near future?

I was wondering the same. I saw the last one but was new around here

WeberWho
11-16-2019, 07:41 AM
I've been a sous vide user since last Monday. I've been fighting the urge of needing one for the last 3-4 years. I couldn't pass up the last Inkbird sale.

The Inkbird sous vide was pretty much plug and play out of the box. The wifi was stupid simple to set up with the unit. The app is straightforward and easy to navigate. Is the wifi needed? I suppose not. Is the wifi helpful? Absolutely. Always nice being able to monitor it when away from the house.

I found myself not knowing what to do with a cheap chuck beef roast that my wife picked up a few days earlier in the fridge. I figured what better way to test out the sous vide than this cheap cut of beef. So I hit the roast with some rub and vacuum sealed it. Tossed it in the sous vide for a 48 hour swim. A quick pan sear on the Big Green Egg to finish it off. The roast was very tender. My wife even said, "Why doesn't your egg make it this tender?" Ummm thanks??? Ha! If my wife notices the difference in a steak it's a win for me with purchasing the product. I'm looking forward to using it again. Especially for when needing to reheat leftovers.

Kiddglass
11-17-2019, 12:58 PM
I have an anova I've had it for I want to say three years now. Never an issue with it easy to clean if I have any food leakage. Holds temp like a pro. I also like the anova app which in the past was a little glitchy but since the latest update works perfectly. The app has built in guides for the most common foods and recipes that are user posted which are cool because there's always some new idea to tinker with. If my anova went to a watery grave tomorrow, I would buy another anova same day no questions asked.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BuffettFan
11-17-2019, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the great feedback everyone.
I just ordered the Inkbird unit.
It seems that it and the Anova are the 2 most popular brands on the forum.
As Sliding Billy mentioned, Ken is a brother and does a lot to support the forum so that made my decision a little easier.
Ordered a 12 qt hinged lid container to go with it.
Thinking of a chuckie for the inaugural run.

Happy Hapgood
11-17-2019, 08:10 PM
Here's my Amazon review of the Inkbird. Besides the fact that it is an inexpensive unit and works well, you can't beat the customer service that comes with Oksana being a regular on the site. Also, considering some of the stuff he has thrown our way I would be very hesitant to give my business to anyone else with a comparable product.
I already have an 1100 watt immersion circulator that does well for me, but has to be put in a very large pot to keep from bottoming out where this one can clip onto a slightly smaller pot without touching the bottom. It's those little things that make a difference especially in the amount of water you are heating and moving or the size of the pot you are moving around and cleaning. Despite the power difference, preheat time was similar with the same amount of water. The preheat is not documented or controllable, but your time does not start until you hit the programmed temp. The one glaring miss in my opinion is that it does not shut off when your programmed time expires. It just sits on 1 minute indefinitely (it does not drop into seconds at the end of course either). The biggest thing I noticed was how quiet this device was. The water is moving albeit slower than I am used to, but the fact that I can barely hear it is a huge advantage. As for the app, it does what I expect it to. I like that it is WiFi instead of Bluetooth since I am not subject to distance to unit issues. Making it part of a smart home app is ridiculous, but once I got it sent up it is not something I plan on thinking about again. I have no interest in using app recipes, so others can discuss their usefulness and how using them impacts the app itself. Plus, it is easy enough to control manually from the device itself and without the app. This is a solid cooker and well worth the price.

Hey Billy, I've not had the 1 min problem at all. It goes to zero. Contact KenInk and he will make it right. My unit's LED goes from green on to red standby when done.

sliding_billy
11-18-2019, 02:16 AM
Hey Billy, I've not had the 1 min problem at all. It goes to zero. Contact KenInk and he will make it right. My unit's LED goes from green on to red standby when done.

I talked to Oksana, and he said that it did not do an auto-shutoff. It continues to run. The fact that it stays at 1 minute makes no difference.

KenInk
11-18-2019, 04:22 AM
Still have 50% discount code for our Sous Vide.If interested,pls PM me.Thanks!

KenInk
11-18-2019, 04:23 AM
Still have 50% discount code left for our Sous Vide,If interested,pls PM me.Thanks

KenInk
11-18-2019, 04:25 AM
Thanks for your choosing and support us,Terry.Our unit is WIFI version not BT,you can monitor it everywhere.We have lots of great reputation about this one,you would like it.Thanks for your support again:)

SonnyE
11-18-2019, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the great feedback everyone.
I just ordered the Inkbird unit.
It seems that it and the Anova are the 2 most popular brands on the forum.
As Sliding Billy mentioned, Ken is a brother and does a lot to support the forum so that made my decision a little easier.
Ordered a 12 qt hinged lid container to go with it.
Thinking of a chuckie for the inaugural run.

OK, Happy Ending.
I got a generic and have been really happy with it.
Just a unit. And I got a food grade bucket at Lowe's that I cut down for my needs.
After that I got balls for a top blanket.
I do Pork Loin and Salmon mostly.
Love the set it and forget it capability of Sous Vide.

(My wife still thinks I'm just boiling stuff. :rolleyes: )

BuffettFan
11-19-2019, 06:51 PM
It's here!
Gonna be Friday night before I can take it for a spin.
Instead of a chuck roast, I picked up some 1 1/2" bone in pork chops for the first go round.
I've downloaded the Joule ap and been watching Sous Vide everything vids on the utubes.
One issue and one question.
Issue is the Inkbird unit clamp doesn't open far enough to clear the lip on the container I bought.
Not a big deal, I'm a machinist and have a lot of tools! I can modify the container.
Question is, the Joule recipe reccomends a pre-sear.
Any issue doing this tomorrow night, vac packing and then cooking Friday?

Kaptain Kadian
11-19-2019, 10:08 PM
It's here!
Gonna be Friday night before I can take it for a spin.
Instead of a chuck roast, I picked up some 1 1/2" bone in pork chops for the first go round.
I've downloaded the Joule ap and been watching Sous Vide everything vids on the utubes.
One issue and one question.
Issue is the Inkbird unit clamp doesn't open far enough to clear the lip on the container I bought.
Not a big deal, I'm a machinist and have a lot of tools! I can modify the container.
Question is, the Joule recipe reccomends a pre-sear.
Any issue doing this tomorrow night, vac packing and then cooking Friday?I have never tried a pre sear

jimbloomfield
11-19-2019, 10:09 PM
We have Anova and the new inkbird. The WiFi on the Inkbird makes it our current favorite.

BuffettFan
11-20-2019, 03:35 AM
I have never tried a pre sear

The Joule recipe does both a pre and post sear.
They call it the ultimate steakhouse style chop.
Looks darn good!

robertm
11-20-2019, 08:01 AM
General rule of thumb is post sear where possible. You lose none of the juices in the beginning, the presentation is better and you can add tricks like butter or herb baste. Things that are fall apart tender after sous vide, like a roast, will benefit from pre-sear. That way they don't look awful when you place on the table and you still get some benefits from the maillard effect.

Of course all rules of thumb are meant to be broken and if someone figured out another way to make a great meal then do it!

BuffettFan
11-20-2019, 11:16 AM
Of course all rules of thumb are meant to be broken and if someone figured out another way to make a great meal then do it!

I have to admit, the recipe on the Joule Ap, while pretty basic, looks darn good.

Thanks to Mike (Happy Hapgood) for the recommendation!

BuffettFan
11-22-2019, 08:11 PM
First attempt a success!
Cooked them a touch hotter to make Mrs happy and they still came out moist and tender.
Only seasoned with s&p, pre and post seared in duck fat instead of butter since i had some on hand.
90 minutes @ 144*
I did screw up the post sear. Didn't towel the chops dry and had too much liquid in the CI skillet.
Went ahead and seasoned, seared and vac packed the chuck for Sunday.
I'm sold!
I did take a lot more pics, but they all look like the bottom of a coal mine at midnight.

robertm
11-22-2019, 08:43 PM
Way to go man! Sous vide is a lot of fun. Especially when it’s cold outside ;-)

BuffettFan
11-23-2019, 01:17 PM
Taking a little break from sweating copper for the basement bath rebuild, so I thought I'd share some of the things that went right and a couple that could have been better.
First, I hadn't learned how to program the unit beforehand so I was a little stressed just getting it started since I wanted supper at a reasonable hour.
Second, I could and should have had the chops vac packed and ready to go ahead of time.
Finally, the aforementioned post sear goof.

The good, chops were cooked to perfection.
Wife was very impressed with how tender and juicy they were.
She agreed that the next time they could be cooked slightly less.
I'm slowly getting her to realize a little pink is ok!

Thanks again for all the useful information, this will be a very handy tool in my arsenal.

sliding_billy
11-23-2019, 01:26 PM
I am well beyond my first sous vide cook, and I'd take that every time.

BillN
11-23-2019, 02:52 PM
Another vote for Anova.

robertm
11-23-2019, 09:12 PM
Wait until you serve her chicken at 146 :-D Juicest most tender chicken she’ll ever eat

Happy Hapgood
11-24-2019, 01:11 AM
First attempt a success!
Cooked them a touch hotter to make Mrs happy and they still came out moist and tender.
Only seasoned with s&p, pre and post seared in duck fat instead of butter since i had some on hand.
90 minutes @ 144*
I did screw up the post sear. Didn't towel the chops dry and had too much liquid in the CI skillet.
Went ahead and seasoned, seared and vac packed the chuck for Sunday.
I'm sold!

Got to dry the meat before the sear is at least what I've found. Great looking! IT cooked temp is personal taste for sure! No way I would do a pre-sear. Just my .02.

Titch
11-24-2019, 02:29 AM
For anyone thinking about an Anova,i just got an email of 30% OFF.
FYIO

BuffettFan
12-03-2019, 07:35 PM
Just finished my 4th cook with the Inkbird.
Followed the Joule ultimate chicken thighs guide line.
Yousa!
Did 8 thighs, 4 Yardbird and 4 Q-Salt.
I had 2 of the Q-Salt, Mrs Fan had 2 of the Yardbird.
Both of us said it was the best chicken ever!
Steaks are next!

rickatwoodme
12-14-2019, 12:44 PM
America’s Test Kitchen did a comparison of a number of them. I have the Anova and like the Physical controls but in practice, I’m not sure that it matters much. There isn’t a lot of active management you do with these during the cook.

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/videos/4049-sous-vide-circulators

The Joule was the winner from ATK, and I've had it since it was on Kickstarter; great unit.. small, powerful and so easy to use. I had an Anova and the Joule is better; more stable, quiet and much smaller; the magnetic base makes it super easy to use in a pot too.