PDA

View Full Version : Join Us In The Healthy Eating Section 🍺🍔

16Adams
11-10-2019, 07:31 AM
Here’s a short article of where We tend to opine-gut biome, sugar, anti inflammatory foods. The BALi food list helps me and the wife address these. What’s new in science is old news to Brethren who participate. Carnivore-Paleo-Primal-BALi-testimonials-intermittent Fasting -Weight Watchers- ethnic foods and spices. Even combined methodology. It all works with BBQ-Smoke-Grill-Sous Vide-Seasoning. There are personal opinions-links to articles and studies-book recommendations , stories of long term success as well as those who struggle daily, like me.
Hi I’m 16Adams-I’m a chipoholic.

https://time.com/4587800/holiday-weight-gain-diet-sugar/

Bounce on in and discuss you’re strategy for health via nutrition

SlickRockStones
11-10-2019, 08:03 AM
This something all brethren should look into as the Holidays are approaching. I’ll start by throwing the box that our Trader Joe’s pumpkin cheese cake came in straight in the trash!

Joshw
11-10-2019, 08:20 AM
Most artificial sweeteners are even worse for the gut biome. Most people think since they don't have calories, they don't affect your body, in some ways they are actually worse than sugar.

Sid Post
11-11-2019, 08:50 AM
Weight control isn't a 'one size fits all' thing. Neither is healthy eating.

Convenience foods made in a chemistry lab is a good place to start for most though. In the deep South, you tend to see a lot of 'native' southerners who are morbidly obese because in the past food was scarce and lives were hard so, everything was fried to up the caloric content so they had the energy to work all day in the fields. Bad health outcomes (heart disease, diabetes, cancer, etc.) were not as obvious because people generally died much earlier back then. Today with modern agriculture, that isn't an issue but the dietary traditions still hold true.

Preservatives make our food shelf-stable and palatable for a long time but, do I really need a loaf of bread that doesn't go stale for 3 weeks? Artificial colors, flavorings, and sweeteners are an issue as well. Personally, I avoid artificial sweeteners anywhere I can. Most people don't realize you can substitute carrots for a sweetener such as Karo syrup, granulated sugar, and similar sweeteners in many recipes as one example. Personally, I use a lot more honey today.

Global agriculture is another 'soapbox' issue. Do I really need fresh strawberries from the other side of the world in January? Or, should I send my livestock, fish, etc. grown in North America to China to be butchered and packaged so it can be shipped back to my local grocery store? Commercial chicken coops may put cheap protein on my plate but, is it a healthy protein? The same goes for eggs. Those brown ones may taste 'better' because they were pastured chickens instead of battery hens. :wink:

Excercise and work, in general, is an issue for most people. Part of it is related to weight control and metabolism but, it really is more generally associated with GOOD HEALTH. Why do seniors fall so much? If they have trouble walking and have no core strength, how do they catch themselves when they stumble? I weigh more when I exercise which is fine with me because it is GOOD muscle mass weight versus 'love handles, a 'beer belly', and other common euphemisms. Weight per se is not the real enemy, body fat is along with poor muscle tone and muscle mass.

Dubious science and fads, in general, are a mixed bag at best in most cases. Eggs were bad because they had cholesterol. However, many people like myself had no sensitivity to this cholesterol. What about butter? What did the science swap for these perceived health concerns? Can you say transfat for starters? Today, I tend to eat a lot of eggs and butter which are good again according to science. I ate them before they were 'good again' too after three years of no eggs and no salt per doctor's orders to combat high blood pressure. Blood lipids didn't change even though I totally stopped eating readily identified eggs (trace eggs probably existed in some breads for example), french fries, potato chips, canned vegetables with salt, etc and drastically cut back beef consumption. After about two years, I started eating 6 eggs a day, often ate fried things like Okra, potatoes, and similar things. Cholesterol changes were so small they were in the statical noise but, blood lipids, in general, did go up some related to the fried chicken, french fries, etc.

In my own life, I feel better in general when I get REAL FOOD. What is real food to me? Dry bean, real cereal grains, almost any food I can buy that is grown or raised locally and in season. Sure my slice of cheesecake won't have fresh strawberries on it during Winter, nor will my salad have Summer's bounty. However, that does give me something to look forward to when the Spring comes around and, it encourages me to eat things like naturally fermented saurkraut in the dead of Winter.