PDA

View Full Version : Trying out vacuum sealer on ribs

CookinAt225
09-27-2019, 01:03 AM
I saw a thread here last week where a fellow bbq-brethren member was using a vacuum sealer to freeze some ribs. That was all the excuse I needed to buy one on Amazon. Needless to say, it arrived today and I now have 10 slabs of fully cooked ribs in the freezer! Decided to pack them dry (no bbq sauce on them). If all goes well, all I will need to do is boil a pan of water to have ribs with a Chiefs game.

https://i.imgur.com/HVeofk7.png

https://i.imgur.com/mLS9Q3K.png

https://i.imgur.com/7mtvVT3.png

https://i.imgur.com/Iz4HIHr.png

Happy Hapgood
09-27-2019, 01:13 AM
Dude. They may even taste a tad better coming out. Just plan goood. No special heating just get 'em hot again and enjoy.

mike243
09-27-2019, 05:47 AM
Word of caution, no boiling water,simmer only because it can unweld the end and water log all your hard work, I double seal the end If I plan on reheating with water, I bought a SV heater and plan to use that to reheat any thing

Pocchampion
09-27-2019, 08:50 AM
I use a sous vide to reheat after having bags open when the water boiled. Once heated ribs benefit from a minute under the broiler to crust up.

I have brisket and pulled pork are outstanding vacuum and sous vide

txsmkmstr
09-27-2019, 09:14 AM
Word of caution, no boiling water,simmer only because it can unweld the end and water log all your hard work, .....

^
^
^
^
This.... I'll get the pot of water boiling first then turn off the heat. Place bag in hot water and put a lid on it. On ribs that's all you need. Perhaps a larger cut would require some additional heating if the water got chilled.

Did a hunk'o-brisket point last night that way and was close to being right off the pit. :thumb:

redchaserron
09-27-2019, 09:41 AM
I've had to do brisket cooks a day before serving, I vacuum sealed the briskets whole while still fairly warm, then stuck in ice water to cook quickly and refrigerated. To reheat I brought a big pot of water up to a simmer/light boil, cut the fire and dropped the briskets in. They came out fantastic. If I ever hae a piece of leftover steak that I want to reheat I do it in a bag in warm water as well.

HuskyJW
09-27-2019, 09:54 AM
^
^
^
^
This.... I'll get the pot of water boiling first then turn off the heat. Place bag in hot water and put a lid on it. On ribs that's all you need. Perhaps a larger cut would require some additional heating if the water got chilled.

Did a hunk'o-brisket point last night that way and was close to being right off the pit. :thumb:

Son of a biscuit. I never thought if reheating ribs this way. How long in the water?

CookinAt225
09-27-2019, 11:17 AM
Word of caution, no boiling water,simmer only because it can unweld the end and water log all your hard work, I double seal the end If I plan on reheating with water, I bought a SV heater and plan to use that to reheat any thing

Thanks for the heads up! Last thing I want to see is ribs floating in water. That would make me want to turn the game off and goto bed early! lol

blazinfire
09-27-2019, 11:23 AM
Man.. I do this all the time.. I find ribs to be very freeze safe. I just throw them in the oven til hot.. or throw them on the grill.. I never slice the ribs.. i always cut slabs about 3-4 bones each and vac seal

airedale
09-27-2019, 12:35 PM
@CookinAt225, be very suspicious of the seals you get. Look them over very carefully as it doesn't take much of a leak to let air back into the bag. Cheaper sealers (aka FoodSaver) make a narrower/less reliable seal than bigger ones (aka Weston). Before I ditched FoodSaver, I had learned to routinely make two seals.

Re reheating, I use the defrost setting on our microwave, then let the ribs rest and the heat equalize, then a final zap to get them to temperature. The key is to not overheat them during the defrost run. This takes a little longer but I don't have to fool with water.

SV bath works very well for thawing. If I wanted to thaw in water, I would use the SV heater set at maybe 150.

txsmkmstr
09-27-2019, 02:10 PM
Son of a biscuit. I never thought if reheating ribs this way. How long in the water?

Hmmm.... If frozen about 40 minutes??? If thawed about 20??? Best thing about it is you're not cooking them rather you're just holding them once they get to eating temp. A 135* rib is pretty hot to the touch.

As posted above, I never pre-slice rib racks. I might split a rack into two 6 bones and vac seal those separately.

WilliamKY
09-27-2019, 02:29 PM
I bet you love the vacuum sealer already. They are very useful gadgets to have. I sealed some leftover beef short ribs a few days ago to use for chili this fall. Those are some fine looking ribs you got there.

jstrand
09-27-2019, 02:43 PM
Yup, food sealers rock, especially when your single. I seal beef stroganoff, chili, pork ribs, beef ribs, pulled pork, veggies, smoked cheese, you name it. Reheat with the Anova, pan of water at medium heat or throw it in the hot logic in the morning and have a nice hot lunch. I have a food saver that's about 16 years old and still going, but i buy bags from Weston.

SonnyE
09-27-2019, 02:57 PM
I do a lot of repackaging of meats.
When we bring home a bag of Baby Backs, I will take the individual raw racks, cut them in half, and vacuum seal the two halves in a single bag for freezing.
Similar with chicken Legs or Thighs, Break down the package into meal sized portions. Like two drums and two thighs of Skin-on for the air fryer.
But the only thing I usually bag and freeze is my Salmon portions. I thaw, cure, smoke, and repackage with a little dill. Then refreeze.
I've boiled my salmon before, but never had my bags open on me.
Mostly now I Sous Vide, which is below boiling, usually at a targeted temperature.
You are going to enjoy your new Vacuum Sealer!

BillN
09-27-2019, 04:06 PM
I reheat all low and slow meats that I have vac sealed in simmering water with no issues since I started using Vac Master bags.

Huh? What?
09-27-2019, 10:16 PM
I vacuum pack leftover ribs, three or four ribs to a pack, and freeze them to take to work for lunch. A couple minutes in the microwave, in the bag, is all it takes to reheat.

ShadowDriver
09-27-2019, 10:29 PM
I see lots of great bones and easy meals around NFL ball this fall.

Swine Spectator
09-27-2019, 10:36 PM
Concur with the above comments: Do not cut them. Leave whole or half racks in bags.

Also: Seal pulled pork and brisket. the bags reheat nicely in hot water and make mid-week Q a possibility.

David