PDA

View Full Version : backwoods fatboy help

CookinAt225
09-18-2019, 03:11 PM
I purchased a used backwoods fatboy which I don't believe was properly maintained/cleaned. It has done an excellent job smoking brisket and chicken. However, when I went to go clean it I noticed the holes in the back were filled with soot which looks to have dropped down from the stack. Any suggestions on how to properly clean one of these without losing my seasoning in the process would be greatly appreciated. Photo attached --

https://i.imgur.com/8MiQlCi.jpg

pjtexas1
09-18-2019, 03:15 PM
I believe that is normal. Would a vacuum get most of that out?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CookinAt225
09-18-2019, 03:18 PM
Is it causing any problems? i dont know that i could easily get a vacuum in there to remove the soot since it seems to have the packed consistency of a rock. I believe these holes are where smoke exits the cooking chamber and out of the stack. At the present time its probably okay since only the two bottom holes are clogged up. I had thought about popping the screws off and lifting the top/sides off of it to try and clean everything up, but wasnt sure if this would even be accessible.

pjtexas1
09-18-2019, 04:00 PM
I would bust it up with something pointy. A shop vac should have enough power to pull the small chunks thru the holes.

CookinAt225
09-18-2019, 04:08 PM
Great, thanks for the help. I will give that a try and see if it does the trick!

luv2smoke
09-18-2019, 04:33 PM
I would bust it up with something pointy. A shop vac should have enough power to pull the small chunks thru the holes.

What he said!

BuffettFan
09-18-2019, 07:31 PM
Sorry, thought this thread was about me. :-P