PDA

View Full Version : Bone in-bone out butt

halfcocked
09-17-2019, 11:10 AM
Never done a boneless butt. Is there a difference in the final product? Do you treat one differently from the other in prep and cook? Thanks.

SonnyE
09-17-2019, 11:17 AM
I don't. But you may want to truss the meat with Butcher's twine.

I think I prefer the bone in because when the bone pulls out, the meat is done.
But just my preference.

Bone out is good when making Buckboard Bacon.

ChrisBarb
09-17-2019, 11:25 AM
Just did a 5 lb boneless Sunday. Took about 6 hrs at 275.

SweetHeatBBQnSC
09-17-2019, 11:26 AM
I have cooked both and think they are equally good. Bone in may stay just a touch more moist, but I cooked them the same way.

sudsandswine
09-17-2019, 11:34 AM
What I dont like about boneless is that sometimes the meat can get pretty mangled when they debone it, and you have to kind of tuck it back together or truss it or something so that the smaller dangly bits dont get overcooked. If I am cooking the butts for pulled pork its always bone in for me. If I am grinding it for sausage or something I dont mind boneless.

creek bottom
09-17-2019, 12:06 PM
I've done both and they cook the same. I actually like the boneless because I can get rub into the places where they've cut the bone out. I don't mind the little "dangles", just crispy nuggets that I enjoy in my pulled pork... Just my 2 cents...

gtr
09-17-2019, 07:56 PM
Didn't have my glasses at RD this morning so I couldn't read the tiny writing on the case of butts I cooked today. They were boneless - I always cook bone-in. I just jammed skewers through 'em 'cause I was feeling too lazy to truss up 8 butts. Fixing to pull 'em, so we'll see. I'm figuring they'll be fine.

kevinstaggs
09-17-2019, 08:01 PM
I subscribe to the bone is always good theory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BillN
09-17-2019, 09:14 PM
I used to have a source for boneless duroc butts unfortunately that went away. Anyhoo I would remove the netting and spread out the meat and put in a large disposable pan, they were small butts avg 4 pounds each so could get three in a pan. In my opinion they took on more smoke, cooked faster and came out even better than whole butts. When I took them out of the netting I would cut the meat to ensure a consistent thickness. By cooking in a pan the retained juices ensured they cooked up moist and tender. The bark was limited however the flavor made up for it.

gcs
09-18-2019, 05:02 PM
Costco by me only has 2 packs of boneless, so I use boneless, yeah they're ugly, looks like they were boned by Freddy Krueger, but I cut them in half anyway so no biggie

Ag76
09-18-2019, 05:32 PM
I always cook bone-in.

halfcocked
09-18-2019, 05:46 PM
Costco by me only has 2 packs of boneless, so I use boneless, yeah they're ugly, looks like they were boned by Freddy Krueger, but I cut them in half anyway so no biggie
Yep, that's why I'm asking. Should I buy the Costco boneless or the Publix bone in. The difference in price may not be meaningful so I'll decide at the 11th hour. Thanks for all the input.