PDA

View Full Version : Water pan best location?

Montana Jack
09-14-2019, 12:42 PM
Where best to place a water pan on a reverse flow stick burner, farthest away from the fire, so the vapor fills the smoke chamber or next to the firebox where more of the water gets vaporized. When I put next to the firebox it definitely gets used, but not sure if going right up the chimney. When I put at far end away from the firebox, doesn't seem to use much water so not sure if it's helping. Thanks for the help.

ebijack
09-14-2019, 03:18 PM
I don't see why you would need/want a water pan in a reverse flow smoker.
It's not like a direct flow where the water pan takes/absorbs some of the high heat.

Montana Jack
09-15-2019, 01:36 PM
Maybe not, I'd thought of the water pan as adding moisture in the smoker and helping to keep things from drying out.

JWFokker
09-15-2019, 02:36 PM
If possible, directly below the meat.

WilliamKY
09-15-2019, 04:18 PM
A couple weeks ago when I did the first cook on my Shirley (two pork butts) I used a water pan. I honestly don't know if I needed it but I figure it certainly couldn't hurt. I put it on the bottom grate, left side where the heat was coming up. It was an 11" x 9" x 2.5" disposable pan. I filled it and never added water.again. It never boiled but it did steam so I know I had moisture flowing. I maybe had 1" of water left after 10hrs. I will continue to do it just because I don't see a downside to it. Added moisture is a plus for me.

ebijack
09-15-2019, 05:34 PM
Hopefully all the Shirley owners here post whether they use a water pan.
All the times I have cooked on Shirley's. Never used a water pan. Don't see a need.
Now my direct flow offset. I do use a water pan.
There is difference between heat coming from under a reverse flow plate vs direct where the flame blast of heat enters the cook chamber direct.
The water pan can help with toning down that blast of direct heat so it does not go directly at the meat. But is mixed with more air after the water pan absorbs some of the heat and there is more mixing of air. If that makes sense.
But if you like doing it. Keep doing it.

Westx
09-15-2019, 05:54 PM
Using a water pan in a Shirley, in my opinion depends a lot on where you live, the outside temp and the humidity. When I am cooking butts on mine if the humidity is high outside I don’t wrap and my butts are still plenty moist. If the humidity is really low like it has been the las month or so I will wrap I will wrap with some white grape juice because I discovered that with low humidity they tend to be much drier. Also I tend to cook at 275°+ so that does have an effect. Now I could bypass the wrapping in low humidity situation and add a pan of water and would be just fine. Take this as you may but this as been my experience.

SonnyE
09-15-2019, 08:23 PM
I always thought the best place for a water pan was in storage.
But then, I decided to use mine as a smoke spreader, so it lives dry in the bottom of my smoker.
There seems to be plenty of moisture in meat anymore. The butchers thumb has been replaced with an injector.

carl_694
09-15-2019, 08:36 PM
I use a water pan in my shirley. But I'm a newbie, so take that into account. I put it on the bottom left.

sarth67
09-16-2019, 11:05 AM
I could see using one in the warmer if you are cooking in there with the heat directly underneath.

Smokin Dawg77
09-16-2019, 01:08 PM
ALOT of seasoned pit masters will tell you ....its a myth

Montana Jack
09-16-2019, 02:59 PM
Thanks for all the input.

ebijack
09-17-2019, 04:14 AM
Just something to think about.
A reverse flow smoker. The majority of the heat and air is coming into the cook chamber at the opposite end of the firebox. From under the reverse flow plate.
Putting a water pan on the lower shelf/cooking grate at the firebox end. Any moisture from that pan would only be flowing up and out the exhaust. Not adding moisture to the rest of the cooking area. Since that moist air would only touch the piece of meat just above the water pan. If that makes sense.

cspence
09-17-2019, 09:04 PM
I use a water pan in my shirley. But I'm a newbie, so take that into account. I put it on the bottom left.

Same here

2stroke250
09-18-2019, 09:18 PM
I put a bread pan filled with water lower rack right next to fire box!
My theory is less interruption with airflow and water seems to boil and create more steam next to firebox.
My rig is a Shirley 24/42 cook on it year round once or twice a week for last couple years great cooker