PDA

View Full Version : Is BBQ in trouble in your town

Wolverine
09-04-2019, 12:06 PM
Ok photocyclic aeromatic hydrocarbons. I’ve herd some lady in Australia is litigating her neighbor for the smell of meat cooking on the bbq. So I’ve also learned that some big cities in China Japan and all over have banned BBQ because of smog or PAH.
That said PAH is from partly burned material, my own community has banned driveway sealer with PAH apparently they don’t like the smell. However they let a very well known restaurant that specializes in smoked food operate.
Has anyone delt with this type of situation in their community. I would like to here your story.

sudsandswine
09-04-2019, 12:21 PM
*Looks around at Kansas City*......nope

SonnyE
09-04-2019, 12:55 PM
I think that if they ban bar-b-queuing, they damn well better ban farting as well.
I find farting much worse than the smell of food cooking.
I bet that gal is a vegan, and that is the root of it. She'd rather murder innocent Carrots and Brussels Sprouts.

People bring these asinine lawsuits because they can. We need a filter on these types of absolute B.S. And Judges that throw them out of court, literally.
"Baliff, pitch that b!tgh to the curb!" :drama:

Somebody needs to sue them for infringing on others rights to the pursuit of happiness.

Rant Off! :icon_shy :doh:

dward51
09-04-2019, 01:39 PM
It's sort of like this that happened in a town where my parents lived. There was a large "public" swimming lake that was family owned. Then the family willed it to the county but it had to be kept as a public part and swimming lake, etc... (hundreds of acres in total). It's been the local swimming lake for decades. Then prior to the 1996 Olympics, the county built the Olympic beach volleyball stadium there. First time they had beach volleyball in the Olympics and it has taken off like crazy everywhere since then. After the Olympics, the county continued to host volleyball events and small venue concerts in the ampitheatre like stadium. Then ended up expanding the swimming lake into more of a water park with slides, etc... also. The place was always packed and doing well.

Then the fun starts. Several years later a developer built a high end subdivision with 30 or so homes on land right next to the water park & volleyball stadium. The developer bought the land well after the stadium and park were in operation (well after the Olympics). Some of the people who bought those homes started to complain about the traffic and noise (mostly the noise as beach volleyball is a high energy type thing with music etc... and the evening concerts). Not withstanding that this sort of activity had been going on for years before their home was even build and they had due notice before they bought the property. Some of the lawyers in the neighborhood thretened to sue the county over the traffic and noise. So the county no longer hosted beach volleyball events, no longer held concerts, and took out a lot of the water park slides, etc... Ever since the "park" has been loosing money constantly.

Some people want to tell everyone else how to live no matter what, the rights of others be damned...

SmokinJohn
09-04-2019, 03:09 PM
We're safe here...for now...

Sammy_Shuford
09-04-2019, 04:06 PM
So far, no one has complained, but I do pass out packages of pulled pork.

Fatback Joe
09-04-2019, 04:09 PM
*Looks around at Kansas City*......nope

Memphis as well.

redchaserron
09-04-2019, 04:23 PM
Around here it's hard to smell the BBQ over all of the crawfish boils.

Rusty Kettle
09-04-2019, 04:46 PM
No problem yet.

jasonjax
09-04-2019, 04:56 PM
That lady in Australia had her case dismissed.

They can have my BBQ tongs when they pry them from my cold dead hands.

Smokie185
09-04-2019, 05:20 PM
I don't have any neighbors close enough to worry about.

CrabbyAppleton
09-04-2019, 05:23 PM
IMHO, as long as there are diesel personal vehicles, I think I should be able to BBQ. In other words, I don't think I have anything to worry about!

redchaserron
09-04-2019, 05:48 PM
Maybe they won't ban BBQ, but just require background checks before you can buy a bag of charcoal.

emtnate
09-04-2019, 05:53 PM
Safe here for now. Years ago in the Fort, a well known street corner vendor was singled out by one member of city council who essentially legislated him out of business. Since then however, brick and mortar BBQ joints have popped up all over the place.

BigFeed
09-04-2019, 06:14 PM
I think that if they ban bar-b-queuing, they damn well better ban farting as well.
I find farting much worse than the smell of food cooking.
I bet that gal is a vegan, and that is the root of it. She'd rather murder innocent Carrots and Brussels Sprouts.

People bring these asinine lawsuits because they can. We need a filter on these types of absolute B.S. And Judges that throw them out of court, literally.
"Baliff, pitch that b!tgh to the curb!" :drama:

Somebody needs to sue them for infringing on others rights to the pursuit of happiness.

Rant Off! :icon_shy :doh:

hahaha yes she was vegan!

gtr
09-04-2019, 06:40 PM
All clear in Culver City - and by clear I mean thin blue.

SonnyE
09-04-2019, 07:45 PM
It's sort of like this that happened in a town where my parents lived. There was a large "public" swimming lake that was family owned. Then the family willed it to the county but it had to be kept as a public part and swimming lake, etc... (hundreds of acres in total). It's been the local swimming lake for decades. Then prior to the 1996 Olympics, the county built the Olympic beach volleyball stadium there. First time they had beach volleyball in the Olympics and it has taken off like crazy everywhere since then. After the Olympics, the county continued to host volleyball events and small venue concerts in the ampitheatre like stadium. Then ended up expanding the swimming lake into more of a water park with slides, etc... also. The place was always packed and doing well.

Then the fun starts. Several years later a developer built a high end subdivision with 30 or so homes on land right next to the water park & volleyball stadium. The developer bought the land well after the stadium and park were in operation (well after the Olympics). Some of the people who bought those homes started to complain about the traffic and noise (mostly the noise as beach volleyball is a high energy type thing with music etc... and the evening concerts). Not withstanding that this sort of activity had been going on for years before their home was even build and they had due notice before they bought the property. Some of the lawyers in the neighborhood thretened to sue the county over the traffic and noise. So the county no longer hosted beach volleyball events, no longer held concerts, and took out a lot of the water park slides, etc... Ever since the "park" has been loosing money constantly.

Some people want to tell everyone else how to live no matter what, the rights of others be damned...

For 82 years the Fillmore Fish Hatchery raised trout to stock our local waters.
Then some enviroMENTALists filed a lawsuit that they were planting the wrong fish in the lakes.
These are man-made reservoirs for irrigation, and domestic water supplies.
If not for the dams, there would be no lakes to plant fish in. So how can they be the wrong species of fish?
Meanwhile, I can take my Grandkids there, and we can fish, but it may as well be poisoned waters. Poisoned by some spoiled rich brats.
I say let's reopen the institutes for the insane so we can put these wackos in a padded room.
Then go fishin.

Titch
09-04-2019, 08:01 PM
See here.
Street justice .

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275196&page=2

Bob Wiley
09-05-2019, 05:44 PM
I ask you, "Which is more important, your freaking BBQ sandwich or the planet?"

Haven't you been keeping up with science?!?!?!

Sheesh!

pitbossJB
09-05-2019, 05:55 PM
If mother nature didn't want any BBQ, she wouldn't have made wood that burns and smolders and animals that need cookin'

Swede
09-05-2019, 06:08 PM
If mother nature didn't want any BBQ, she wouldn't have made wood that burns and smolders and animals that need cookin'

Amen!

AWilliams
09-05-2019, 07:37 PM
I don't have any neighbors close enough to worry about.

^^^this..my closest neighbor is 200'. All my others are at least 300'.