PDA

View Full Version : Neighbors and Smoke

16Adams
09-03-2019, 04:29 PM
In 3-2-1

http://www.ladbible.com/news/weird-angry-vegan-takes-neighbour-to-court-over-the-smell-of-barbecue-20190903

LloydQ
09-03-2019, 04:46 PM
Ridiculous woman. So she thinks the world should adapt to her???

KB BBQ
09-03-2019, 04:50 PM
She needs to eat some meat.

Titch
09-03-2019, 04:51 PM
We have a mental health problem down here, and I,m not talking about Vegan

Lawnguy
09-03-2019, 04:55 PM
Mod Note:

Political content removed. Please take it to the News and Politics section

SmokinJohn
09-03-2019, 04:57 PM
In 3-2-1

http://www.ladbible.com/news/weird-angry-vegan-takes-neighbour-to-court-over-the-smell-of-barbecue-20190903

Saw that. If she were my neighbor, she would have lost her mind, because the guy on the other side of her has BGEs. They guy behind me has some offsets. Between the three of us, meat is being cooked 6 out of 7 days.

redchaserron
09-03-2019, 05:00 PM
Her neighbor should install a large outdoor sound systme and blare the sounds of a slaughterhouse while he cooks.

Stingerhook
09-03-2019, 05:28 PM
We have a mental health problem down here, and I,m not talking about Vegan
Titch,
Would you please get over there and straighten this out.

16Adams
09-03-2019, 05:53 PM
Mod Note:

Political content removed. Please take it to the News and Politics section

Dang-missed it

WilliamKY
09-03-2019, 05:59 PM
I live in the suburbs with neighbors on both sides and this is something I somewhat worry about. I've never had a problem but who's to say I wont someday. I'm waiting for my daughter to graduate high school and I'm moving out into the stix. A couple acres will eliminate this situation.

Bucknekked
09-03-2019, 06:04 PM
I too saw the story this morning in the news. I have a lot of reactions: all of them are pretty negative towards the vegan. Unless the BBQ guy is being abusive in some way, I think he has all the right in the world to keep on cooking. I would have thought Australia would be leading the world in outdoor cooking. Apparently, there's nutcake vegans sprinkled all around the globe. At least the court system in Australia has kicked her case out not just once, but multiple times. They show some sense.

shares
09-03-2019, 08:26 PM
The stench of her cooking vegetables wafting over the fence must be dreadful!

HogGrog
09-03-2019, 09:36 PM
Wow. Her problems got problems...

emtnate
09-03-2019, 10:39 PM
I wonder what she would say if he grilled up from cauliflower steaks or tofu with good smelling smoke?

Someone on my block grills or barbecues just about every day 9 months out of the year and at least once a week year round. One guy down the street even uses his gasser in the driveway wearing only shorts and flip flops. Over certainly had worse neighbors than kids playing outside and people who enjoy eating on a daily basis.

sudsandswine
09-03-2019, 10:43 PM
. One guy down the street even uses his gasser in the driveway wearing only shorts and flip flops.

Wait.....nobody told me there was a dress code. :shocked:

Czarbecue
09-03-2019, 10:55 PM
I live in the suburbs with neighbors on both sides and this is something I somewhat worry about. I've never had a problem but who's to say I wont someday. I'm waiting for my daughter to graduate high school and I'm moving out into the stix. A couple acres will eliminate this situation.

I had the same problem with my HOA not liking me welding my own trailer in my backyard. Now that I am in the sticks, I worry too much about overgrowth and keeping the snakes off my property. Always something to do...

SweetHeatBBQnSC
09-04-2019, 07:42 AM
Who knew it was possible to not like the smell of grilling?

Mikhail
09-04-2019, 09:03 AM
Just another example of a small issue blown out of all proportion. i suspect even a small amount of consideration on the part of the smoking neighbor would have averted this silliness.

Mikhail
09-04-2019, 09:04 AM
My yard borders a hiker biker trail, and luckily all my neighbors tell me how good it smells.

cowgirl
09-04-2019, 11:06 AM
I love my "neighbors", but am thankful they live 4 miles away.
I blame the lawyers for taking on trivial, petty lawsuits like this. What a waste of time.... :tsk:
She should move.

Vicar
09-04-2019, 12:21 PM
Neighbours tried everything to accommodate her as per court judgement.
I don't think she can be easily accommodated as she is again thinking of going back to court.
A very litigious lady indeed.

SonnyE
09-04-2019, 01:09 PM
He needs to fire up a coal fired cooker for her to enjoy.

I counter sue her for farting.

Lunatics! :crazy:

arclite
09-04-2019, 01:23 PM
Just another example of a small issue blown out of all proportion. i suspect even a small amount of consideration on the part of the smoking neighbor would have averted this silliness.

You should probably read the article.

The neighbor has since removed the cooker, yet she is still considering more litigation.

She's also complained about his kids playing basketball, which the neighbor has since stopped. Because you know, kids playing outside is a public nuisance...

And she has another, unknown issue with a neighbor on the other side of her yard.

The consideration should have fallen on the woman to discuss these issues, not on a neighbor who is acting within the interpreted law. As mentioned by the court, "To be fair, it's hard to prove that someone is maliciously barbecuing."

I doubt most people have a problem with her being a vegan. They most likely have a problem with her being a litigious jerk.

dummy que
09-04-2019, 05:30 PM
i can see a simaler problem looming on my horizon monday i was smokeing some ribs on my lang when a 30something woman comes down my driveway {i live in the sticks) I HALVE NOT HAD NEIGHBORS FOR THE PAST 40 some years she ask me about the smoke and smell and how long it will last i told her around three more hours she asked how often this happens i replyed every shot i get i got a dirty look and a UGH wait till it gets cold and she figures out i heat with wood they halve just bought the lot with any luck they will sell it and not build:thumb:

Titch
09-04-2019, 07:52 PM
It would appear that good Old Aussie justice is going to be dished outbest way to handle stuff bwith out Courts(maybe a street Court)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/vegan-woman-community-barbecue-sued-neighbours-meat-smells-perth-a9091396.html

Thousands of Australians have said they will stage a mass barbecue outside the home of a vegan masseuse who took her neighbours to court in a bid to stop their patio-based cookery.

Cilla Carden, from Perth, took legal action over the smell of grilling meat wafting over her property from the Vu family next door.

She said she couldn’t enjoy her own garden because of the fumes – and also complained about the children making a noise while playing in the yard and patio lights being left on.

“All I can smell is fish,” she said. “I can’t go out.”

Now, after her case was thrown out by both a tribunal court and the Supreme Court of Western Australia, meat-lovers have used Facebook to organise a mass flesh-grilling session outside her front door next month.

More than 2,000 people have said they will attend the so-called Community BBQ for Cilla Carden, and another 6,000 have expressed an interest.

WilliamKY
09-04-2019, 08:02 PM
I had the same problem with my HOA not liking me welding my own trailer in my backyard. Now that I am in the sticks, I worry too much about overgrowth and keeping the snakes off my property. Always something to do...
I think I've spotted 3 snakes in my yard over the past 15 years. One was mulched under my lawn mower. I will gladly accept the solitude and wildlife over the city life. :wink:

BKING!
09-04-2019, 08:02 PM
That’s awesome! Lol

farmer-fred
09-05-2019, 10:31 AM
i can see a simaler problem looming on my horizon monday i was smokeing some ribs on my lang when a 30something woman comes down my driveway {i live in the sticks) I HALVE NOT HAD NEIGHBORS FOR THE PAST 40 some years she ask me about the smoke and smell and how long it will last i told her around three more hours she asked how often this happens i replyed every shot i get i got a dirty look and a UGH wait till it gets cold and she figures out i heat with wood they halve just bought the lot with any luck they will sell it and not build:thumb:

I live in a rural farm area where the city people have slowly been moving in and then trying to change things to suit them self. Example people buy a lot next to a cattle farm, then complain about the smell. Problem is some judges tend to side with the complainers. I really hope common sense can prevail at these types of complaints.

adalah
09-05-2019, 12:39 PM
interesting, I shall be following thishttps://juragan.club/assets/17/o.png

arclite
09-05-2019, 01:32 PM
I live in a large city with postage stamp backyards. My outdoor cooks bring my neighbors together, dozens of times a year, for Sunday dinners. I've never gotten a complaint, even from a "vegetarian" neighbor who unfortunately gets the brunt of white smoke when I light my cookers.

This story concerns one jerk on the other side of the world from me. I just want to point out that countless others understand and enjoy the communal aspect of BBQ.

arclite
09-05-2019, 01:43 PM
I live in a rural farm area where the city people have slowly been moving in and then trying to change things to suit them self. Example people buy a lot next to a cattle farm, then complain about the smell. Problem is some judges tend to side with the complainers. I really hope common sense can prevail at these types of complaints.

This is not always true. Transplants often move to the city and occasionally complain about noise from a bar that they moved next to. Barring illegal activity or zoning/waste disposal infractions, if it ever makes it to court judges usually side with the party that has occupied the area the longest, which is almost always the bar.

Dialogue and a willingness for compromise from both parties solve 95% of these type of complaints. Rural or urban, the only inevitable is change. Might as well make the best of it.

DocFenner
09-05-2019, 03:25 PM
My neighbors also get to enjoy crushing riffs and booming power chords along with the smoke that's wafting around the neighborhood.

Somehow, no one ever complains, because the food is good. And I'm (apparently) awesome...ha!

Inthewoods
09-05-2019, 03:38 PM
Pretty interesting it even made a article, I spose the whiners..if whine loud enough...find themselves in the media.
I live in America, and well acquainted with that particularity.