PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma Joe Mods?

Crazy Tex
09-03-2019, 02:06 PM
hey all..
Haven't been around for a while, but that's all explained in this post (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275185&highlight=Oklahoma+Joe)

So I'll be selling my bigger trailer mounted smoker as soon as I can get my shoulder all recovered from surgery and paint it, and in the meantime I'm using an Oklahoma Joe offset smoker my Father in law gave me.. I tried cooking on it and it just didn't seem to want to get warm or hold any heat -

Any mods I could do easily to cook more like I'm used to (steady heat) or is it just a learning curve?

Was thining maybe the stack being at the top of the smoker was part of the problem and if I cut it out and moved it closer to grate level?

Drunk Monkey
09-03-2019, 02:35 PM
The single best thing I did on my offset was to use smaller splits. After getting the kindling cracker from Northern Freight it works like a charm. I had similar issues prior to that.

halfcocked
09-03-2019, 04:34 PM
Check out the utube videos on mods. A $4 duct from any hardware store can move you intake closer to the grill level. Tuning plates work well for spreading the heat more evenly across the cooking chamber. My only smoker is an OK Joe highlander and I have no problem heating it with sticks.

morningwoodbbq
09-03-2019, 04:38 PM
I did high heat RTV on mine where the metal comes together. The seals I installed along the door edges came off eventually, but it seals pretty darned good once warmed up where I see little to no smoke coming out.