PDA

View Full Version : Serious Meat Fridge Options

Stlsportster
09-03-2019, 07:58 AM
Now, this could be an awesome project. The possibilities are endless. Think about what you could do with a walk in freezer with an attached walk in cooler. In your basement. Or on a concrete pad in the backyard.

My wife keeps saying I have enough cookers. Maybe my next investment should be one of these!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/436255973657884/

sudsandswine
09-03-2019, 08:05 AM
Ive had the same thought. I keep seeing walk ins on sale at local restaurant or equipment auctions for not that much money. It may happen at some point...I have plenty of unfinished space on one side of the basement.

NickTheGreat
09-03-2019, 09:11 AM
I have a beer hobby also. This would be wonderful for that

SonnyE
09-03-2019, 09:40 AM
Yep, if you have the room, and the incline to run one all the time, I'd say go for it.
It probably needs not said, but you will need to fill it as well. $$$$
And have a plan for if it breaks down. Alarms, a locker somewhere you can move your horde to temporarily, things like that.

For as little as I need, I have a little 4.4 Cu Ft fridge (NO freezer) on my patio I call my curing/beer fridge. It has some bacon curing in it right now, although it really needs it's mini-kegs restocked. :icon_blush: (I don't let my beer age or spoil.) :heh:
But I age my bacon after smoking for 5-7 days to let it equalize. If I did that in the house fridge we'd have bacon milk and cheese and salad. I actually like the smoke scent on my beer.

I wish we had an upright freezer (wife's idea, actually). Our chest freezer is fine. But hard to find things in a pile like it is. Even after emptying and bagging stock in bags like Chicken, Pork, others.
She can't dig around in the chest freezer. She might up-end and get stuck head first.:rolleyes:

m-fine
09-03-2019, 09:44 AM
My experience with commercial refrigeration is that they have a high cost of ownership due to low(er) efficiency and reliability, but they generally have better repairability and support.

Also, the compressors and fans tend to be loud! Remotely locate them if you can or your spouse my nag be happy.

SonnyE
09-03-2019, 09:50 AM
Wow! I went to your link and almost got lost.

legendaryhog
09-03-2019, 09:55 AM
Just a warning, as someone who raises his own beef and has a commercial freezer, this leads to hording....delicious hording. :)

Fatback Joe
09-03-2019, 10:55 AM
I have been thinking that I need something like that for a curing chamber.

arclite
09-03-2019, 02:10 PM
Would love to build out a dry aging room someday.