PDA

View Full Version : Project Fire - season 2

qapla
09-02-2019, 03:13 PM
Got a little tired of watching the Weather Channel while I wait to see when Dorian will pass by our area ... so, I noticed Steven Raichlen's "Project Fire" was on Create TV - looked like they were having a marathon with the back-to-back episodes, so I decided to check it out.

It is OK - but I do not have all those grills he has.

I saw a number of the Season 2 episodes. He filmed Season 2 in Steinhatchee, Fl. It would have been neat to go over there and watch the filming ... if they would have allowed that.

Kind of interesting he would film from Steinhatchee - trust me, if you are not intending on going to Steinhatchee, you will NOT end up there. It is a very small place and not exactly on the main road.

Free Mr. Tony
09-02-2019, 04:09 PM
I like watching the show to see all of the grills in action, but I've tried many of the recipes from various books, shows etc of his and always come away underwhelmed. I still like to watch when I'm bored though.

Elrik
09-02-2019, 10:08 PM
Gotta love the one Kalamazoo bbq that costs more than a good number of vehicles, or how almost every cook was on a brand new que. as my wife observed, looked more like a never ending series of product placements than a cooking show.

sudsandswine
09-02-2019, 10:19 PM
Sponsors pay the bills after all :thumb: I like his shows in that they're not the "reality" type of cooking show...ironically I have "Chopped" on in the background right now. While I don't often use the recipes or methods from the show now, Steven Raichlen definitely kicked my BBQ addiction into higher gear when I was just getting started years ago so I'll always appreciate the shows in that regard.

alecksjaycubs
09-03-2019, 04:16 PM
Steven Raichlen is my favorite guy to yell at as he burns everything he puts on a grill and proceeds to say it tastes great. That said I have a season pass for him on my Tivo!

Elrik
09-03-2019, 07:36 PM
I'm going to blame his marathon and all those shiny new grills on the fact that I bought BBQ number 8 on Monday....

HogGrog
09-03-2019, 09:50 PM
Recycling Raichlen :razz:

But I still stop and watch despite the monotone voice...

Radrob
09-03-2019, 09:59 PM
He's the biggest fake french chef to turn into a pitmaster. I wouldn't let that nerd empty the ashes from my smoker.
https://i.ibb.co/cr0Q1sk/58708044-10219657345323625-7961787168169394176-n.jpg

CrabbyAppleton
09-04-2019, 09:23 AM
I have never even come close to making anything he cooks. Gave up on him years ago, don't know how he stays on TV- even PBS...

CakeM1x
09-04-2019, 10:07 AM
I've made a couple of his recipes and they've all turned out great tbh. But his instant mmmmm almost before it hits his mouth is annoying. I've done his cape town lamb multiple times and it always turns out great.

PnkPanther
09-04-2019, 10:20 AM
I've used few of his recipes and few good ones mixed in.

https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/cousin-daves-chocolate-chipotle-ribs/ one of my favorite non traditional rib recipes

I've watched enough there are certainly things to nitpick about.

Radrob
09-04-2019, 12:17 PM
The recipes seem good but it's just the vibe of the show. It seems so rehearsed and sterile. You have to give him credit for getting so many sponsors, he shows off some nice smokers.

EricD
09-04-2019, 02:12 PM
I caught a bit of the marathon, one of the episodes he grilled a lobster. OMG!! I was horrified! (Being a new englander, you just don't put that stuff on Lobster)
I have his rubs and sauces book that has some good recipes, but overall I'm kind of underwhelmed.
He does have a really nice Santa Maria Grill though