PDA

View Full Version : Pork Belly questions

Frank Mahovlich
08-29-2019, 12:40 PM
Any advice on where I can purchase pork belly? And, is it as simple as rubbing it and smoking it? Or is there more to it? Curing? I'm not even sure what that means? I would be cooking it in a WSM...

Thanks in advance for any help,
FM

ynotfehc
08-29-2019, 08:34 PM
Sams club usually has them. A good butcher shop will too, if they make their own bacon. Get skin off belly, and yes you can just apply rub and smoke. You can cure it and smoke it to make bacon.

RandyNight
08-29-2019, 09:23 PM
Howtobbqright.com has a video on it. I found it easy to slice in 1 1/2" strips, cut off the rind then cut into cubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IamMadMan
08-30-2019, 04:31 AM
Any advice on where I can purchase pork belly?

Pork Belly is available at a multitude of places; Costco, Asian Market Stores, and Latin Stores are probably the most common places to find it. Your butcher will have it, if not he can order it, but if it isn't something he carries, it may take a few days and will cost a little more.

And, is it as simple as rubbing it and smoking it? Or is there more to it? Curing? I'm not even sure what that means? I would be cooking it in a WSM...

Thanks in advance for any help,
FM

That depends, I would assume if you are talking about curing and smoking that you are referring to making bacon?

Weighing the meat and associated cure ingredients is the most important step, followed by proper refrigeration. The rest is just waiting and turning once a day to help with the equalization process, until the cure is complete.

Here is a brief tutorial - http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3788600&postcount=1

Frank Mahovlich
08-30-2019, 01:35 PM
Thank you all for the help- much appreciated! Hope everyone has a great weekend!

FM

redchaserron
08-30-2019, 01:51 PM
I usually get mine from a local Mexcan grocery store. Tradition Mexican carnicerias are very cool

SonnyE
08-30-2019, 07:12 PM
I was at Sam's club for some ribs yesterday.
I saw the main butcher was there and asked him about some pork belly.
He showed me the sliced up packaged stuff. I asked him if they had any uncut ones and he went and found me a nice 8+ pound slab of pork belly.
Woo-Hoo! Got some bacon makin, and two more slabs for other uses.

I like curing and smoking my own Applewood Smoked Bacon.

You can also make Pork Belly Burnt Ends and they are Delicious. HERE (https://www.smoking-meat.com/august-3-2017-smoked-pork-belly-burnt-ends) is one way.

WilliamKY
08-30-2019, 07:27 PM
I got a pork belly last year at Costco. If I recall it was around 8lbs and the skin was already removed.