PDA

View Full Version : Green Egg owner, just bought a 20" Horizon Offset. Many questions

harrybbq
08-27-2019, 10:12 AM
Hello,

This is my first post here. I have had a Green Egg XL for a couple of years. I've ruined meat, made amazing meat, and everything in between (lately mostly amazing :grin: )
Since I learned to slow cook on the egg, I've always been intrigued by the offsets and the better smoke flavor they offer over the egg.

So, I just bought a 20" Horizon, the classic one, without the counter weights.

A few questions, if its ok.

1) I've read here that people have, in the past, bought covers from Horizon. I do not see any covers for sale there. Where could I get a cover for this smoker?

2) The Green Egg can get really, really hot (1000 degrees, thermometer pegged). It is so easy to clean, basically, just let it go to flaming hell and everything just powders off and its like new. How is an offset supposed to be cleaned? Short of power washing once in a while, do you just let the inside be greasy? Do you use a catch tray to catch drippings?

3) I hear it weighs some 400 lbs. It does have wheels. Not sure how the unit will be when its ready for pick up at the shop where I ordered (Bass Pro Shop). Assuming they can load it in my 4x7 utility trailer, do you guys think it will be possible for me and my wife to get it out ourselves? We have to roll it out of the trailer, and place it about 30 ft away. The trailer is about 1 ft high, and there is a ramp. Just not sure if the wheels help, or if they might be a hazard coming down the ramp...

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Bucknekked
08-27-2019, 02:16 PM
Just want to throw some love to a fellow BGE owner. I love my BGE and its a pleasure to know someone else loves theirs too.

For answers, Youtube is a wonderful thing. I've found Youtube videos to learn how to clean just about anything and everything. I would go there. A 400lb smoker sounds familiar. I don't have the one you have. I have a Yoder YS640 and she's a big girl. Somewhere in the 400 pound range as well. Given the distance it had to go and all that, I had it delivered and set up by my BBQ shop guys. I did the same with the BGE. It too can be heavy and unwieldly. I am more than happy to let my vendors grunt and sweat and take the liability.

Hope you get it all installed without incident. Pictures would be nice

drunkenmeatfist
08-27-2019, 02:37 PM
I recently had to wrangle a Lang 36 around my yard. It weighs closer to 700lbs, but it has large rubber tires and casters. I can move it fairly easily, but any real incline would stop me. It looks like that smoker has large metal wheels. If they help you load it at the store then I would think you and your lady would be able to get it off the trailer and across the yard pretty easily.

WeberWho
08-27-2019, 05:13 PM
Congrats. I also made a switch to a stick burner from Big Green Eggs. The flavor profile is a night and day difference between the egg and stick burner. The egg is a set it and forget it. The stick burner is going to make you work for it. Honestly most joe schmos aren't even going to tell the difference in the smoke profile but I guarantee you will notice the first bite you take. It's such a clean smoke profile where the egg is a heavy smothered smoke. I really enjoy tending a fire. Some call it work while others call it true barbecue. It's all in the eye of the beholder. I won't ever be without a kamado. They're are almost the perfect grill. They just aren't the mecca of smokers. You'll know what I mean once you get the stick burner dialed in. Congrats and enjoy!

Ag76
08-27-2019, 05:47 PM
Hello,

This is my first post here. I have had a Green Egg XL for a couple of years. I've ruined meat, made amazing meat, and everything in between (lately mostly amazing :grin: )
Since I learned to slow cook on the egg, I've always been intrigued by the offsets and the better smoke flavor they offer over the egg.

1) I've read here that people have, in the past, bought covers from Horizon. I do not see any covers for sale there. Where could I get a cover for this smoker?

2) The Green Egg can get really, really hot (1000 degrees, thermometer pegged). It is so easy to clean, basically, just let it go to flaming hell and everything just powders off and its like new. How is an offset supposed to be cleaned? Short of power washing once in a while, do you just let the inside be greasy? Do you use a catch tray to catch drippings?

3) I hear it weighs some 400 lbs. It does have wheels. Not sure how the unit will be when its ready for pick up at the shop where I ordered (Bass Pro Shop). Assuming they can load it in my 4x7 utility trailer, do you guys think it will be possible for me and my wife to get it out ourselves? We have to roll it out of the trailer, and place it about 30 ft away. The trailer is about 1 ft high, and there is a ramp. Just not sure if the wheels help, or if they might be a hazard coming down the ramp...

Thanks

1. I don't know where you would get a cover. Check out amazon, or call Horizon and ask them..

2. To clean it: Get it up to ~300* and steam clean it by spraying out the inside with a water hose a couple of times.

3. I think you and your wife would be able to unload it and move it where it needs to go. If not, get a neighbor to help.

Smokie185
08-27-2019, 06:37 PM
Hello,

Thanks

I have and older 16 inch version but I have no idea where to get a cover. I just use a tarp.

When mine gets some buildup in it, I pull everything out of the cook chamber and put a rack in the bottom and load it up with charcoal. Start a good fire and burn the grease off.

As far as moving, they roll pretty well on concrete but you might want to have some extra help getting it off the trailer.

patrickd26
08-27-2019, 06:38 PM
I have the same smoker w/ the counter weight. I do exactly what Ag76 recommended on cleaning. When I'm cooking on it, I keep a shallow aluminum cookie tray on the heat diffuser. That catches most of the drippings. Once the meat is done, I ramp the temp up to 300-375 and spray out with a garden hose. A lot of junk comes out, so make sure that you are in a wife approved part of the yard!

After that, I just let it run with the doors closed. Before the end of the night, I open the doors to dry out even more.

Moving is a breeze. You should be able to unload it off your trailer by yourself. Moving across concrete is easy. The unit is VERY well balanced. There's been a couple of times that I thought it was going to tip over because I lifted it too hard! I haven't pulled it across grass, but I would not be afraid too!

Good luck. You will enjoy!

redchaserron
08-27-2019, 07:55 PM
I clean offsets, grates and the pits, the way you used to clean your BGE, by burning off the crud, except I use a weed burner, totally incinerates all the gradu and makes it easy to clean off.

harrybbq
08-28-2019, 09:57 AM
Thanks all for the info. The thing arrived, will pick it up probably this weekend and post some pics
Thanks again

mcyork28
08-28-2019, 10:09 AM
In between through cleanings, I use a metal paint scraper to clean out the crud out.

toymaster
08-28-2019, 03:19 PM
If you have to roll it on grass, use two 1/2 inch thick pieces of plywood to roll it. Roll it on 1, then take the 1 in back and put it in front and roll it on that one. Keep doing that until you get where you're going.

tom b
08-28-2019, 04:16 PM
i picked up this cover for my 18x36 offset it is for the old country Brazos. It is a little loose on mine, I think it would work on a 20" smooker. Holding up well for 3 yrs old.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-country-bbq-pits-wrangler-smoker-cover#repChildCatid=3420144