PDA

View Full Version : The wait is over!! The Eagle Has Landed!! Pron alert!!

Pig_Farmer
08-24-2019, 01:35 PM
Ordered on May 1st and delivered on August 23. Large LSG IVS on competition cart with the off-road package.

This thing is PHARK'N awesome. Got it out of the crate last night and moved it into the back yard. Sprayed everything down with Pam.

(Family Portrait, well, some of the family :biggrin1:)

Woke up this morning and filled it up with charcoal and pecan and started to season it.

I got impatient and threw a couple of fatties on.

I have 6 racks of ribs for a little bit later. 3 of them spicy and 3 of them with SPG. More to come.

Question for those folks out there with an insulated cabinet. Do you reuse the unburned charcoal or do you toss it after each use? Mainly, I plan on doing some more cooking tomorrow and was wondering if you use what was left over.

Thanks for looking.

Kaptain Kadian
08-24-2019, 01:42 PM
I usually toss it unless it is completely unburned. The shutdown process is can take hours to completely cool down, so I shovel all of the hot coals out of my lsg and put them in an ash can. Charcoal is too cheap for me to worry about reusing it.

ronbrad62
08-24-2019, 01:47 PM
Nice addition to the family. Not sure if I would have been able to sleep after uncrating that beauty. My seasoning would have started that night:becky:. Can't wait to see the inaugural cook. Congrats!

Pig_Farmer
08-24-2019, 01:48 PM
I usually toss it unless it is completely unburned. The shutdown process is can take hours to completely cool down, so I shovel all of the hot coals out of my lsg and put them in an ash can. Charcoal is too cheap for me to worry about reusing it.

Thank you. I will see what it looks like when I open up the fire box.

Pig_Farmer
08-24-2019, 01:49 PM
Nice addition to the family. Not sure if I would have been able to sleep after uncrating that beauty. My seasoning would have started that night:becky:. Can't wait to see the inaugural cook. Congrats!

Ron, I was about to start it up last night but decided to get some sleep. was at work yesterday dark and early.

ShadowDriver
08-24-2019, 01:52 PM
Whoa! Sweet Rig!

I really look forward to seeing you get her dirty.

LYU370
08-24-2019, 01:59 PM
Sure is Purdy...

Free Mr. Tony
08-24-2019, 02:05 PM
I reused charcoal on shorter cooks like ribs in my 270. If I was trying to get a full long run out of it, I'd start with new.

rwalters
08-24-2019, 02:07 PM
Beautiful cooker!! That is some serious cooking real estate!! How many square inches with all racks in place?

Pig_Farmer
08-24-2019, 02:14 PM
Whoa! Sweet Rig!

I really look forward to seeing you get her dirty.
Thank you Marc. I look forward to getting it dirty.

Sure is Purdy...
Thank you Andy

I reused charcoal on shorter cooks like ribs in my 270. If I was trying to get a full long run out of it, I'd start with new.
Thanks. This smoker will definitely be a learning curve.

Beautiful cooker!! That is some serious cooking real estate!! How many square inches with all racks in place?
Thanks Walters. This is from the website. "Total cooking area: 4550 sq/in. with additional 3 racks"

Rodomac
08-24-2019, 03:05 PM
Great rig and love the color.

Pig_Farmer
08-24-2019, 03:26 PM
Great rig and love the color.

Thank you, Rodomac.

BRBBQ
08-24-2019, 03:29 PM
Nice looking cooker

rwalters
08-24-2019, 03:32 PM
Thank you Marc. I look forward to getting it dirty.

Thank you Andy

Thanks. This smoker will definitely be a learning curve.

Thanks Walters. This is from the website. "Total cooking area: 4550 sq/in. with additional 3 racks"

4550 is CRAZY!! [emoji1306]

Pig_Farmer
08-24-2019, 03:32 PM
Ribs going on and fatties are done.

Smoking Piney
08-24-2019, 04:02 PM
Great looking pit! :thumb:

Congrats! :-D

Pig_Farmer
08-24-2019, 04:33 PM
Nice looking cooker

Great looking pit! :thumb:

Congrats! :-D

Thanks, you guys

chingador
08-24-2019, 05:00 PM
That is a beauty.

Stingerhook
08-24-2019, 05:07 PM
"Holy Moley" Carl she is a beauty.

pjtexas1
08-24-2019, 09:48 PM
That red with the SS and the tires...farking beautiful! I re-use charcoal.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Clay-b-que
08-24-2019, 10:05 PM
What’s a unit like that run. That thing is awesome!

Bacchus2b
08-24-2019, 10:44 PM
As you have probably noticed by now, that was enough charcoal to keep it going for days at 250 without water.

I go with an upside down U shape instead of the maze with the t-plates and 12 pounds of charcoal with wood chunks lasts longer than I usually need. It does take a long time to cool down and I don't re-use the leftover charcoal.

Love the off-road wheels! I have a comp cart on mine, but every time I see the off-road wheels and tires I get to thinking about making another trip down to Willis!

Love the color on your smoker as well, Congrat's on the new toy!!!

ebijack
08-25-2019, 05:22 AM
Congrats!
I reuse left over charcoal. Like mentioned above.
But not if doing a long 8+hr cook. Used coal/lump don't have the same heat out put and time of burn of non used coal/lump in my experience.
I mostly use the "used" coals for my next start up if possible.
Another thought you might want to think about. Once you have a pretty good idea on how much coal you use in say a 6 hr or less cook. Is to make a expanded ring that will sit in your coal basket. Keeping the heat in the center of the smoker for an entire cook. Instead of burning front/back, left/right etc.
Easier set up and clean up and control. Less left over coals.
I have/do this for 2 of my smokers. As most cooks for me are less than 6 hrs.

2xal
08-25-2019, 07:56 AM
B-E-A-Utiful!

Big George's BBQ
08-25-2019, 08:21 AM
Very Nice Congrats and Enjoy Nice 1st cook

Pig_Farmer
08-25-2019, 08:52 AM
Thank you everyone. I already know that I am going to love this smoker. It was nice to be able to not have to feed a split every 45 minutes. I will keep one of my stick burners though. I do like to play with fire :mrgreen:

As you have probably noticed by now, that was enough charcoal to keep it going for days at 250 without water.

I go with an upside down U shape instead of the maze with the t-plates and 12 pounds of charcoal with wood chunks lasts longer than I usually need. It does take a long time to cool down and I don't re-use the leftover charcoal.

Love the off-road wheels! I have a comp cart on mine, but every time I see the off-road wheels and tires I get to thinking about making another trip down to Willis!

Love the color on your smoker as well, Congrat's on the new toy!!!

I did notice how long the cook time was. I filled up the charcoal basket completely and used the T plates. I started the charcoal about 0630 and shut er down about 2200 last night. It could have kept going for a while. When I cleaned it out this morning there was still quit a bit of charcoal left. I will definitely need to figure this thing out as far as burn times.

Congrats!
I reuse left over charcoal. Like mentioned above.
But not if doing a long 8+hr cook. Used coal/lump don't have the same heat out put and time of burn of non used coal/lump in my experience.
I mostly use the "used" coals for my next start up if possible.
Another thought you might want to think about. Once you have a pretty good idea on how much coal you use in say a 6 hr or less cook. Is to make a expanded ring that will sit in your coal basket. Keeping the heat in the center of the smoker for an entire cook. Instead of burning front/back, left/right etc.
Easier set up and clean up and control. Less left over coals.
I have/do this for 2 of my smokers. As most cooks for me are less than 6 hrs.

That's a great idea. Can you post a pic of the expanded ring that you have. Did you just make a small basket? Did you make it with T plates or do you just do a minion burn?

Pig_Farmer
08-25-2019, 09:12 AM
So here is how the cook ended up. With the Fireboard fan attached this thing ran at a steady 250* all day long once it got up to temp. It did take a while to get up to temp though. I'm not sure if it was because I started with a gallon of water in the pan or if it was because I only used about 10-12 pieces of charcoal to start it. (that's about what I use to start the drum.) Today I plan to light it with a full load of charcoal (mini chimney) and no water. I plan on adding the water once I'm up to temp.

My rib timing will need some serious adjustment. I went 2 hrs then wrapper for an hour and unwrapped for another 1.5 hours. They were close to the over done side. Fall off the bone, which everybody loved. They were slice-able but just over done for me. Maybe I'm being too picky? :sad:

I monitored the bottom, middle, and top shelves the entire cook. I use the middle temp prob as my control and it ran within a degree or 2 of the analog temp on the door. For the majority of the cook all 3 zones ran within 5 or so degrees from each other. I noticed towards the end of the cook that the top shelf temp prob was running around 20-30* higher than the middle. Not sure why. and not sure how to control that. I am open to suggestions.

Thanks for looking

kevinstaggs
08-25-2019, 09:24 AM
Congrats on the new cooler. She is certainly a wide load. Can’t imagine how much great Q your going turn out with that thing. I eat a least 3 meals a day in case you’re wondering... [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stingerhook
08-25-2019, 09:28 AM
Nice bones Carl.

Pig_Farmer
08-25-2019, 09:32 AM
What’s a unit like that run. That thing is awesome!

Under 6K delivered. Getting sleep on overnight cooks will be worth every penny.

TC Smoke & Que
08-25-2019, 09:35 AM
Carl, My heart felt CONGRATS on your new Smoker!! That cook looked awesome, but as we all know, the "Getting to Know You" process is the real fun!
I am sure we will see many great cooks coming in the future.
And yes, the Off Road system is what makes it!!

SMetroHawkeye
08-25-2019, 09:41 AM
Now that is one sexy looking beast! Fantastic choice, Carl... and great start with he fatties and ribs! Getting a feel for that cooker will be a blast. Congrats!

ShadowDriver
08-25-2019, 09:43 AM
Really nice bones, Carl.

SeenRed
08-25-2019, 10:37 AM
That thing’s a monster...congrats on a beautiful pit!

Red

SonnyE
08-25-2019, 10:38 AM
Beautiful!

ebijack
08-25-2019, 11:53 AM
I monitored the bottom, middle, and top shelves the entire cook. I use the middle temp prob as my control and it ran within a degree or 2 of the analog temp on the door. For the majority of the cook all 3 zones ran within 5 or so degrees from each other. I noticed towards the end of the cook that the top shelf temp prob was running around 20-30* higher than the middle. Not sure why. and not sure how to control that. I am open to suggestions. Thanks for looking
Rotate your grates/racks. Typically I rotate my grates every hour on longer cooks when required. Also open up your chimney more to allow more out flow of heat which can help.
I'll post some pics later after I get the food off the smoker and can group up my baskets. I have baskets that fit multiple cookers.

Pig_Farmer
08-25-2019, 12:26 PM
Rotate your grates/racks. Typically I rotate my grates every hour on longer cooks when required. Also open up your chimney more to allow more out flow of heat which can help.
I'll post some pics later after I get the food off the smoker and can group up my baskets. I have baskets that fit multiple cookers.

Thank you Tom. I will give that a try today. I have some more cooking to do. :-D

Kaptain Kadian
08-25-2019, 12:30 PM
I also found that putting the wood underneath the charcoal gave me better smoke flavor in my lsg vertical cabinet. I put the wood down then cover it with the charcoal

Pig_Farmer
08-25-2019, 12:42 PM
I also found that putting the wood underneath the charcoal gave me better smoke flavor in my lsg vertical cabinet. I put the wood down then cover it with the charcoal

I will have to keep that in mind. Thank you.

Titch
08-25-2019, 03:14 PM
Thats one great looking cooker, enjoy

Gringoloco
08-25-2019, 03:15 PM
I am glad the long wait is over for you Amigo!! I hope to see this beautiful beast at the Bash this year!!

ssv3
08-25-2019, 03:22 PM
Fark yeah Carl. Love the way you optioned it out. Beautiful pit from an awesome builder. :wink:

Congrats!

BKING!
08-25-2019, 03:39 PM
Beautiful smoker! I believe the owner said you could get 24 pork butts on that thing? I was looking at those a while ago.

Kaptain Kadian
08-25-2019, 03:49 PM
Beautiful smoker! I believe the owner said you could get 24 pork butts on that thing? I was looking at those a while ago.

I have put 16 on mine a couple of times. I only have the 4 racks and no extra slides.

Kaptain Kadian
08-25-2019, 03:54 PM
The other biggest tip I would give you is to put full sized aluminum pans on the bottom shelf to catch drippings and keep them out of the water pan. Clean up is way easier. I also pull the bottom rack with the pans out when I am putting meat on or taking it off or spritzing or whatever to keep drippings off the firebox door. Also use bar keepers friend to get stains off

ebijack
08-25-2019, 03:55 PM
My original cabinet smoker coal basket had to come out first before you had access to remove the ash pan. Real heavy POS.
I made a basket with just a touch more cubic inches and added feet. MUCH lighter! Which will come in/out with the ash pan. 10 hrs max use just like original. Even when the cabinet was insulated. No insulation now.
I took a 17" weber coal grate, cut down 2 sides. Added sides and feet. 8 hrs max use, typically only 6 hrs average.
I also use my mini wsm basket inside the full size basket for real short cooks.
Hope that makes sense.
I also use the smaller weber 17" grate coal basket in my drum for shorter non direct cooks.

Westx
08-25-2019, 03:58 PM
Very nice setup.

gtsum
08-25-2019, 04:16 PM
Nice rig for sure!

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jermoQ
08-25-2019, 06:25 PM
That is pretty slick rig. I might be drooling a little while looking at it. Hope you have a ball!!

FrkYrPrk
08-25-2019, 11:06 PM
Nice looking pit Carl - Glad to see the wait is over, and in time to take to the next Bash!

Let me know if you want help with fire basket mods, I just got a new welder.

nweave2614
08-26-2019, 08:16 AM
So here is how the cook ended up. With the Fireboard fan attached this thing ran at a steady 250* all day long once it got up to temp. It did take a while to get up to temp though. I'm not sure if it was because I started with a gallon of water in the pan or if it was because I only used about 10-12 pieces of charcoal to start it. (that's about what I use to start the drum.) Today I plan to light it with a full load of charcoal (mini chimney) and no water. I plan on adding the water once I'm up to temp.

My rib timing will need some serious adjustment. I went 2 hrs then wrapper for an hour and unwrapped for another 1.5 hours. They were close to the over done side. Fall off the bone, which everybody loved. They were slice-able but just over done for me. Maybe I'm being too picky? :sad:

I monitored the bottom, middle, and top shelves the entire cook. I use the middle temp prob as my control and it ran within a degree or 2 of the analog temp on the door. For the majority of the cook all 3 zones ran within 5 or so degrees from each other. I noticed towards the end of the cook that the top shelf temp prob was running around 20-30* higher than the middle. Not sure why. and not sure how to control that. I am open to suggestions.

Thanks for looking

I just did 6 racks of spares on my Mini yesterday, fireboard temp was 265 door temp was just at 250 and they ran unwrapped for 5 hours total and were just about right for me, still had some bite but came off clean. I only opened twice to spritz. I will say they were a little darker than I wanted them to be, not black but definitely on their way there

BigDaddyJT
08-26-2019, 02:45 PM
Great looking pit Carl. I really like how those SPG ribs came out. I'm waiting on mine to be delivered some time tomorrow. Thanks for the pics & keep'em coming.

JT

BillN
08-26-2019, 04:43 PM
Wow Carl that is one beautiful cooker and the results look delicious. I think I would have to park her in the bedroom to make sure she is safe and comfortable.