PDA

View Full Version : Brisket Prices in Texas

IamMadMan
08-15-2019, 07:50 AM
I have to say that after spending a week in Fort Worth and Lake Worth area, I am extremely jealous of brisket prices in Texas. Didn't matter which store: Kroger, Albertsons, or HEB, full packer briskets for $2.70 to $2.80 a pound with great marbling. Every store we shopped at from Grapevine to Burleson, great briskets at a great price.

Lots of great foods, and great places to visit along the way, Texas is awesome.

TXMasterbuilt
08-15-2019, 08:01 AM
ILots of great foods, and great places to visit along the way, Texas is awesome.

Duh!

:biggrin1:

rus_bro
08-15-2019, 08:02 AM
I have to admit, it makes smoking meat convenient. I am firing up the smoker next weekend when my parents come into town and my mom asks "would you like me to bring some meat when we come?" my response: "I couldnt imagine you trying to find brisket in louisiana, nor could i imagine how much it would cost"..

Everything is bigger here, except for gas and beef prices :)

rb

redchaserron
08-15-2019, 08:05 AM
I have to admit, it makes smoking meat convenient. I am firing up the smoker next weekend when my parents come into town and my mom asks "would you like me to bring some meat when we come?" my response: "I couldnt imagine you trying to find brisket in louisiana, nor could i imagine how much it would cost"..

rb

I got a really nice choice brisket here in Louisiana for $2.49 a pound last weekend.

frognot
08-15-2019, 08:18 AM
Been finding them on sale at less than $1.99/lb and when I do buy 2 or 3. Have a couple in the freezer that were $1.67/lb before July 4th. Will make some freezer space for labor Day sales.

Lot easier to find brisket on sale than chuck roasts.

ruger35
08-15-2019, 10:04 AM

rb

I usually have 2-3 go to places with a pretty nice brisket selection here in LA. One meat market even started selling SRF in store. Now had you used an example such as king cake or good boudin in Texas that would have made sense!:biggrin1:

jimstocks53
08-15-2019, 10:22 AM
Prices go up and down even here in Texas. There has been very little rain in Texas for nearly 2 months. Consequently there isn't much hay available and prices become high. So ranchers start thinning their herds and meat prices fall. It takes a VERY prolonged drought to force ranchers to give away stock they can't afford to feed. We're hopefully not on the cusp of that.

SmittyJonz
08-15-2019, 07:51 PM
What were you doing down here ? Lake Worth area is about 30 minutes from my house........

Are you in the reserves and went to the old Carswell Air Force Base -now joint reserve base.?

BBQBetty
08-15-2019, 08:40 PM
I have to say that after spending a week in Fort Worth and Lake Worth area, I am extremely jealous of brisket prices in Texas. Didn't matter which store: Kroger, Albertsons, or HEB, full packer briskets for $2.70 to $2.80 a pound with great marbling. Every store we shopped at from Grapevine to Burleson, great briskets at a great price.

Wow really? Now I'm curious, how much do briskets go for in your neck of the woods? (Same goes for everyone else who's not in Texas lol)

IamMadMan
08-15-2019, 08:51 PM
Wow really? Now I'm curious, how much do briskets go for in your neck of the woods? (Same goes for everyone else who's not in Texas lol)

$6.50 @ pound and up for a good choice whole packer. One in a while, but not often, I can find one that the high end choice, but they are not so popular here so the supply is low and the price is high.

IamMadMan
08-15-2019, 09:12 PM
What were you doing down here ? Lake Worth area is about 30 minutes from my house........

Are you in the reserves and went to the old Carswell Air Force Base -now joint reserve base.?

Smitty,

No, I'm not in the reserves at 68 (LOL).

I went to take my Daughter and Granddaughter back home before school started. Spent a week around the area trying BBQ, Tex-Mex, and Steak Houses. They live at the edge of White Settlement / South Lake Worth area.

I had a great time just doing simple things with them, while exploring the local surrounding areas. I'm not big on tourist traps, but i love history and finding the hidden gems in the city and the suburbs.

I found a doughnut shop that still hand cuts the doughnuts and cooks them manually. They just melted in my mouth. Nothing Bundt Cakes, ect... I was even surprised to see the "Dollar" stores even sell wine. Lots of small mom and pop quality eateries as well as the big ones like Rosa's and the Stockyards.

I was actually shopping at the HEB in Burleson.

SmittyJonz
08-16-2019, 01:48 AM
Smitty,

No, I'm not in the reserves at 68 (LOL).

I went to take my Daughter and Granddaughter back home before school started. Spent a week around the area trying BBQ, Tex-Mex, and Steak Houses. They live at the edge of White Settlement / South Lake Worth area.

I had a great time just doing simple things with them, while exploring the local surrounding areas. I'm not big on tourist traps, but i love history and finding the hidden gems in the city and the suburbs.

I found a doughnut shop that still hand cuts the doughnuts and cooks them manually. They just melted in my mouth. Nothing Bundt Cakes, ect... I was even surprised to see the "Dollar" stores even sell wine. Lots of small mom and pop quality eateries as well as the big ones like Rosa's and the Stockyards.

I was actually shopping at the HEB in Burleson.

My 2nd guess was you were visiting someone in the Federal Womens Prison that Used to Be Carswell AFB Hospital... :shock:

which BBQs did you try? Next Time you come Down - Holler at Me...........if you Come Down in Winter Time we'll go Catfishing........on Lake Worth.........Oh Ya, Did you take a cooler full of Briskets Home.?

DanB
08-16-2019, 07:37 AM
$6.50 @ pound and up for a good choice whole packer. One in a while, but not often, I can find one that the high end choice, but they are not so popular here so the supply is low and the price is high.

Hi Costco Business Center in Hackensack NJ prime packers $3.69, choice $3.19.
Also have Restaurant Depot SAB packers $3.74
DanB

BuffettFan
08-16-2019, 07:43 AM
Kroger has whole, untrimmed choice for $2.99/lb this week, but they don't carry them all the time.
Costco has choice, ~$4, prime ~$5 lb and they USUALLY have them.

I'll check out the Kroger ones tonight, for burgers if nothing else.

Tannhauser42
08-16-2019, 08:09 AM
I live in Lake Worth, tell me more about this donut shop you found.

Smokey Lonesome
08-16-2019, 08:24 AM
Bought a choice 9 lb flat from Costco for 6.69/lb. That's all they ever carry - choice flats. Bought because the flat was reasonably think and uniform and 'flappy' with some marbling. Turned out okay but perhaps a little overdone.

Super 8
08-16-2019, 01:32 PM
Bought a choice 9 lb flat from Costco for 6.69/lb. That's all they ever carry - choice flats. Bought because the flat was reasonably think and uniform and 'flappy' with some marbling. Turned out okay but perhaps a little overdone.
Odd, I just purchased a 18 lb. and a 15 lb. prime brisket from our local Costco around $3.50 a lb. Made them a few weeks ago on my Traeger for a family function.

IamMadMan
08-16-2019, 02:41 PM
I live in Lake Worth, tell me more about this donut shop you found.

I tried 3 shops:
Dukes Donuts, 500 S Cherry Ln, White Settlement - Great selection of good donuts.

Donut Palace, Belkamp, Haltom City - good selection good donuts.

The winner for me was Busy B's Donuts and Bakery, Denton Highway, Haltom City - A very small shop with a small selection of wonderful donuts. What I liked best were the filled donuts; they do not fill them until you order them, so they will not become heavy and soggy in the case. They simply melt in your mouth - even when cold. I think we found this place by accident when looking for a larger shop a little further down the road. An example of a small out of the way place that excels in quality.

My 2nd guess was you were visiting someone in the Federal Womens Prison that Used to Be Carswell AFB Hospital... :shock:

LOL.....

which BBQs did you try?

Great reviews on Jonboy's, but sadly it was permanently closed.

I also wanted to go to North Main BBQ in Euless, TX (a friend of a friend of mine), but they were sold out on the weekend, and closed during the week. maybe next time...

We tried Woody Creek and Spring Creek:

Woody Creek had better flavored meats but the sides didn't leave too much to be desired.

Spring Creek had mediocre meats, but the sides were better.

My last stop was Elmo's BBQ in Azle, no ribs, no Mac&Cheese were disappointing. The brisket was cooked to perfection (nice pull apart and texture), but a little dry like it had been reheated, Sausage, Coleslaw, and Pinto Beans were great.... Mustard based Potato Salad was mushy like mashed potatoes, that side was not enjoyable at all.

Next Time you come Down - Holler at Me...........if you Come Down in Winter Time we'll go Catfishing........on Lake Worth

That sounds awesome

.........Oh Ya, Did you take a cooler full of Briskets Home.?

Only two due to the many other items I had to pack for the flight home.

aks801
08-16-2019, 03:25 PM
Even here in Texas you sometimes have to do some searching.

Last night I got lucky (not what you may be thinking). I stopped by Kroger on the way home and the only full packer they had in the case was a Choice marked down to $1.99/pound. Now, it was a 17 pounder which is bigger than I really needed, but I snatched it up anyway. Tomorrow morning it goes in the smoke early.

SmittyJonz
08-16-2019, 03:45 PM
I tried 3 shops:
Dukes Donuts, 500 S Cherry Ln, White Settlement - Great selection of good donuts.

Donut Palace, Belkamp, Haltom City - good selection good donuts.

The winner for me was Busy B's Donuts and Bakery, Denton Highway, Haltom City - A very small shop with a small selection of wonderful donuts. What I liked best were the filled donuts; they do not fill them until you order them, so they will not become heavy and soggy in the case. They simply melt in your mouth - even when cold. I think we found this place by accident when looking for a larger shop a little further down the road. An example of a small out of the way place that excels in quality.

LOL.....

Great reviews on Jonboy's, but sadly it was permanently closed.

I also wanted to go to North Main BBQ in Euless, TX (a friend of a friend of mine), but they were sold out on the weekend, and closed during the week. maybe next time...

We tried Woody Creek and Spring Creek:

Woody Creek had better flavored meats but the sides didn't leave too much to be desired.

Spring Creek had mediocre meats, but the sides were better.

My last stop was Elmo's BBQ in Azle, no ribs, no Mac&Cheese were disappointing. The brisket was cooked to perfection (nice pull apart and texture), but a little dry like it had been reheated, Sausage, Coleslaw, and Pinto Beans were great.... Mustard based Potato Salad was mushy like mashed potatoes, that side was not enjoyable at all.

That sounds awesome

Only two due to the many other items I had to pack for the flight home.

Had I known I would’ve sent you to Jambo’s BBQ in Rendon or the New Hard 8 barbecue in Burleson -the originals in Stephenville Texas - the Stevensville location is Pretty Good. I haven’t made the Burleson location yet .....or even Cousins BBQ is Decent.......

Smoking Piney
08-16-2019, 04:32 PM

I'm jealous, MadMan.

Yeah, us Jersey Q boys get taken for a ride on brisket. :cry:

BigKing
08-16-2019, 07:18 PM
Haven't seen a full packer at my local Costcos for a couple of months now. They've always had them since I got my PBC three years ago.