PDA

View Full Version : Advice on moving a Humphrey's Pint

JAKs Q & brew
08-07-2019, 07:04 PM
I am trying to figure out the easiest (and cheapest) option to move a Pint. The cheapest option would be for me to load it into my SUV with all my other stuff and just drive it myself. But to do that i will have to lay it on its side. If i remove the racks and coal basket (and the rest of the things that can be removed), am i going to damage anything?
Thanks for the advice
(and i ave no idea how i would actually get it into the back of the SUV, but i wanted to get thoughts on if it is even an option)

pharp
08-07-2019, 07:22 PM
I have moved mine several times laying down. It won't hurt anything. Screw the exhaust cap down tight or it will spin and you will bend it in half...ask me how I know :). Are you moving it like as in moving, or transporting it somewhere to use it? If moving throw it in your UHaul, it will strap down against the wall no problem.

pjtexas1
08-07-2019, 07:25 PM
Use blankets, lean it back and push it in. Shouldn't damage anything unless something external on the smoker can't be removed. Might take 2 people.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

dward51
08-07-2019, 09:20 PM
I would think SUV would be like a pickup bed, only easier as it's a little lower to the ground. You will probably have to tilt the mid seats forward (and remove 3rd row if you have them). I would make as much room with seat manuvering as possible and then measure what you have for space. Depending on SUV model and configuration, you may also have to remove the wheels and legs (if you opted for the taller legs), but once you tilt the body up into the SUV that should be super easy. It may have to go a little diagonal, but again measure what room you can come up with before you try it.

You can also remove the doors to make it lighter to move.

I would also pull as much out as you can. Like you said racks, fire basket, water pan, etc... and lock down the exhaust cover as if it spins around it might get caught and bent.

JAKs Q & brew
08-07-2019, 09:23 PM
thanks for the advice everybody. I will definitely measure everything a few times, but i am pretty sure it will fit with all of the seats folded down. Thanks for the heads up on the exhaust cover.

Pife
08-08-2019, 07:08 PM
It's a Humphreys,....you could drag it behind your SUV and it would be fine.

dward51
08-08-2019, 07:24 PM
One more piece of advice. Since you are talking about putting it into a SUV, you want to protect the carpet and seats from grease, etc... Smokers tend to make a mess on carpet and upholstery. I would suggest you get a roll of the "pallet stretch wrap" from Amazon, the local office supply, or even Home Depot/Lowes, etc.... and wrap the smoker, and especially the racks (assuming you take them out to reduce weight). That will keep any grease or smoke from smudging your carpet or upholstery and it will be easy to take off (also inexpensive).

I'm talking about the stuff like this:

https://broadwayind.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/packingsup_stretchwrap_featured.jpg

Drunk Monkey
08-08-2019, 08:29 PM
Lift with your legs.

thunderalley3
08-09-2019, 05:28 AM
I have loaded similar cookers into the back of my truck but because of the height I wanted them laying down as I was traveling interstaes for a few days.

I cut two by sixes to lean it back on so I could lay it back and then push it up and in. The whole secret I found was buying a few packing blankets, a couple dollars a piece at harbor freight and put them down on the two by's as well as the bed. They help in two ways, protecting both the vehicle and cooker and it is amazing how easy that cooker will slide in on those packing blankets.