PDA

View Full Version : Do you mix your charcoal?

Michigan BBQ Fan
07-30-2019, 10:21 PM
I've been playing around lately with mixing up my charcoal. I always use hardwood lump in my 18.5 WSM. My goto is Jealous Devil. I love how hot it burns and I've learned to tune it in well. I've never used the "blue bag" or other briquettes. I've been thinking of layering some different charcoals to mix up the burn. Anybody ever done it?

Lomey
07-31-2019, 01:25 AM
I've mixed briquettes and lump before. I don't think it works for smoking because they burn at different rates. I do like to start briquettes and then add some lump to bring up the heat up when I cook burgers and steaks on the kettle.

ebijack
07-31-2019, 04:58 AM
For some longer cooks I mix the lump/briquettes. Mainly for reduced ash when cooking over night.
With briquettes I do not get unburnables like I do in most bags of lump.
And briquettes have never gone out during a long cook like I have had quite a few times happen using pure lump. Due to the unburnables. The pieces look fine, but will not burn at any temp.
The quality control with lump is poor IMHO. But I'm guessing the same unburnables are pulverized and still in the briquettes. But the briquettes have enough burnable to keep each piece going.
That is my experience.

CKYnick
07-31-2019, 05:24 AM
I'd hate to alter this post, i am curious though, has anyone figured out a method for less smoke upon lighting briquettes? I hate smoking out my backyard when lighting my chimney full of kingsford. Is there another modified way to create less smoke then the old fill the chimney and ignite from the bottom?

Thanks!

m-fine
07-31-2019, 06:01 AM
I have been using lump for decades, never had a fire go out and never found pieces that were unburnable, except the occasional stone in a cheap bag. I am scratching my head on that one.

As for mixing, when at the end of one bag I might mix in the beginning of another bag of a different brand. When mixing for flavor, I mix in wood chunks, not more charcoal.

smoke ninja
07-31-2019, 06:16 AM
sometimes I'll put a layer of briquettes down and lump on top.

NoNotTheDuo
07-31-2019, 09:03 AM
sometimes I'll put a layer of briquettes down and lump on top.

And I do just the opposite! I load up the charcoal basket in my Gateways with lump, and then start a chimney of briquettes. Once the briquettes are going, they get dumped on top of the lump basket in the drum.

Michigan BBQ Fan
07-31-2019, 09:16 AM
For some longer cooks I mix the lump/briquettes. Mainly for reduced ash when cooking over night.
With briquettes I do not get unburnables like I do in most bags of lump.
And briquettes have never gone out during a long cook like I have had quite a few times happen using pure lump. Due to the unburnables. The pieces look fine, but will not burn at any temp.
The quality control with lump is poor IMHO. But I'm guessing the same unburnables are pulverized and still in the briquettes. But the briquettes have enough burnable to keep each piece going.
That is my experience.

Good experience. Thanks for sharing. I can see how in that way they would work good together.

Big George's BBQ
07-31-2019, 09:57 AM
I just use Lump in my Egg Usually Wicked Good- have not had any problems with it

SmokerKing
07-31-2019, 09:58 AM
I mix Rockwood and B&B lump

TxQGuy
07-31-2019, 10:08 AM
Yup! I mix it up all the time. Different brands, as well as both lump and briquettes in the same session. I prefer lump but will buy briquettes if they are on deep sale or to keep a bag handy for the occasional hot dog/burger quick grill.

thirdeye
07-31-2019, 10:24 AM
100% lump was my go-to charcoal until a few years ago when I started incorporating some Kingsford Long Burning briquettes into my drums and Mini-WSM. I'm using it to even out the heat, but I'm nowhere near 50:50, more like 70% lump.

gcs
07-31-2019, 10:34 AM
Whatever bag is open gets used, i'll mix what I have to get enough to do the job, it all burns and the meat gets done, I don't worry about it

ebijack
07-31-2019, 11:42 AM
I'd hate to alter this post, i am curious though, has anyone figured out a method for less smoke upon lighting briquettes? I hate smoking out my backyard when lighting my chimney full of kingsford. Is there another modified way to create less smoke then the old fill the chimney and ignite from the bottom?Thanks!
Yep, don't use the chimney.
Takes a few more mins, another 15/20 min then when using a chimney.
Start with a small well/hole in the center of your filled charcoal basket. Leave cooker full open/top off to insure enough air flow to get the coals going. I place 4/5 briquettes around the lighter cubes.
You want to burn from the top down. Opposite of using a chimney.
Use an extra lighter cube, cottonballs etc.
I only use my chimney's when I'm in a hurry.
Also burning from the top down when lighting. And inside the cooker. Using lump, you do not get the "hots" shooting out of the chimney.

ebijack
07-31-2019, 11:50 AM
I have been using lump for decades, never had a fire go out and never found pieces that were unburnable, except the occasional stone in a cheap bag. I am scratching my head on that one.
You must get better quality stuff in your area.
Roof shingles, fiberglass, sandstone, pieces of rubber tires (that almost destroyed a cook before I smelled/fixed the problem), brick pieces.
Even in a bag of wicked good.
Royal oak, B&B, Cowboy, the different brands that Sam's club sells/sold. Not one brand yet I have not found *stuff*.
But, then again I go thru well over 50 bags of briquettes and 30 to 40 bags of lump each year.
That is my experience.

m-fine
07-31-2019, 01:00 PM
You must get better quality stuff in your area.
Roof shingles, fiberglass, sandstone, pieces of rubber tires (that almost destroyed a cook before I smelled/fixed the problem), brick pieces.
Even in a bag of wicked good.
Royal oak, B&B, Cowboy, the different brands that Sam's club sells/sold. Not one brand yet I have not found *stuff*.
But, then again I go thru well over 50 bags of briquettes and 30 to 40 bags of lump each year.
That is my experience.

Well, I don’t buy the cheapest stuff I can find at the deep discount warehouses and box stores.

SlowmotionQue
07-31-2019, 02:22 PM
I've gone strictly Royal Oak lump charcoal in my charcoal burners.

I burn it in my KJ and my WSMs.

The ash is easy to get rid of compared to the ash coming from off briquettes like Kingsford, and I like the flavor of food cooked over it better than I do food cooked over Kingsford.

kwas68
07-31-2019, 02:28 PM
Agree with the Ninja. I lay down briquettes on the bottom of my UDS basket so that the lump doesn't fall through the grate.

SonnyE
07-31-2019, 03:19 PM
Yup, I do. :oops: When I use charcoal.

Sometimes (Well, most times...) I mix it with Beer drinkin.
But sometimes I mix it with my Fireball Whiskey and Hazelnut Creamer.

That charcoal can give you a drinkin problem. :wacko: